PDA

View Full Version : pred vs rap

RuffRyder400ex
04-28-2003, 10:25 AM
what will win in a drag and on the track a rator or a predator?

Honda4trax250x
04-28-2003, 10:27 AM
id say the pred. i think it goes like 84 stock or something like that

what part of LI are u from ruffryder?

04-28-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Honda4trax250x
id say the pred. i think it goes like 84 stock or something like that

what part of LI are u from ruffryder?

lmao...predators dont do 84 stock...rators do about 70-ish and ive witnessed a raptor and a predator drag race..and the raptor won....not by much..but raptors are faster in straight line...but for mx i would say the predator

VegasEx'r
04-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
lmao...predators dont do 84 stock...rators do about 70-ish and ive witnessed a raptor and a predator drag race..and the raptor won....not by much..but raptors are faster in straight line...but for mx i would say the predator

Dude, my stock Predator has done just a bit over 90! Of course, it was in the back of my truck at the time, but it didn't look like it was having any problems ;) .

I have seen several races up comp hill at the dunes. Stock vs. stock, the Raptor got the holeshot, but the Predator caught & passed it, and won by ~3 quads. Stock Pred vs. piped Raptor, the Raptor got the holeshot, but the Pred caught it & they tied at the top of the hill. Rider weight was equal in the stock race, and the Raptor rider was probably a little better skill-wise. In the stock vs pipe, the Pred rider looked heavier, but also looked to be a little more skilled.

IMO, the Rap & Pred are the two best production quads FOR NOW. Of course, on other web sites, you might get a different answer (if you know what I mean).

04-28-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by VegasEx'r

IMO, the Rap & Pred are the two best production quads FOR NOW. Of course, on other web sites, you might get a different answer (if you know what I mean).

i tihnk you might get a different answer here 2...in MX the 400ex rules all...at races all you see is a stream of yellow and red 400ex's....the Z is second best simply becasue its a copy of the 400ex design...better engine..liquid cooling...reverse.....and raptor looks....but the 400ex is still better because it was the original verson and wasnt copied.....i bet if the riders are equal the 400ex will win at any mx track if the mods are about the same also

LilGuyOn400ex
04-28-2003, 12:32 PM
the predator will beat any production quad and ive witnessed it, i raced my 426 a piped raptor a piped banshee a ltz 400 and a cannibal 440 and the predator beat everything by a long shot it has more topend then anything else

04-28-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by LilGuyOn400ex
the predator will beat any production quad and ive witnessed it, i raced my 426 a piped raptor a piped banshee a ltz 400 and a cannibal 440 and the predator beat everything by a long shot it has more topend then anything else

o...is that why i beat one on my 416ex?

250EXking
04-28-2003, 01:49 PM
predator its pushing around 80 but not quite yet. the raptor runs around 70 along with the shee. but yeah it is faster.

04-28-2003, 01:53 PM
raptor does 72 stock predator does 75ish from what i have heard. i like the predator alot more tho:D

flaneledholes
04-28-2003, 02:10 PM
To clear up all the mess about speed, raptor is 72 with stock gearing, predator does 74.6 with stock gearing... I love having po po friends! :D

ralph2
04-28-2003, 02:23 PM
havent u learned yet that when you compare two quads that are different that the only way you can truley tell the something is better than something else is by you yourself rding both machines,, you can do drag races, you can race on an mx track, you can race a flat track, but it is all rider skills,,, i rember back when i was riding mainly my blaster, i would go out on the tracks, ooking for the raptors and 400ex's so i could push myself to keep up,,, and some times i even passed 400ex's raptors, predetors... it is all rider skill, and modifications you have to the machine,,,,,

it you have a full set of elkas on ur 400ex of coarse it is going to jump better then a raptor,,,,,

compare with statistics, not opinions;) ;) ;)

04-28-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by x20blaster02x
havent u learned yet that when you compare two quads that are different that the only way you can truley tell the something is better than something else is by you yourself rding both machines,, you can do drag races, you can race on an mx track, you can race a flat track, but it is all rider skills,,, i rember back when i was riding mainly my blaster, i would go out on the tracks, ooking for the raptors and 400ex's so i could push myself to keep up,,, and some times i even passed 400ex's raptors, predetors... it is all rider skill, and modifications you have to the machine,,,,,

it you have a full set of elkas on ur 400ex of coarse it is going to jump better then a raptor,,,,,

compare with statistics, not opinions;) ;) ;)

uhh duh...im pretty sure drag racing doesnt take much skill...the hole shot part does but i was talking about on pavement..its not that hard to shift and got WOT through all the gears....and the person that i raced on the predator has a 400ex also.....i do not know the guy personaly...but were close on the 400ex's..we both have about the same mods cept different brands etc....and on the predator i beat him by more around the track etc..but top end races he kills me.....just becuase someone doesnt say all the little details dont know what there talking about...:rolleyes:

04-28-2003, 02:29 PM
hey guys i got a question i was reading dirt wheels today... ( i know how that sounds lol) but anyway i was readin something about dune tires and they were saying the predator suffers in sand drags because of a weak tranny?:huh and they prefered 250r, z 400 etc... i also been hearing laeger designed the chassis and fuji made the motor and they put the design up for sale and the manufactuers all bid on the rights to it, is this true?

Jellyrolls
04-28-2003, 03:08 PM
they both cant hang with any honda though :) in reliability for sure...and i would put that first....

honda250xrider
04-28-2003, 03:20 PM
uhh duh...im pretty sure drag racing doesnt take much skill...the hole shot part does but i was talking about on pavement..its not that hard to shift and got WOT through all the gears

theres alot more skill invovled with drag racing then u think ;)

ralph2
04-28-2003, 04:06 PM
uhh duh...im pretty sure drag racing doesnt take much skill...the hole shot part does but i was talking about on pavement..its not that hard to shift and got WOT through all the gears....

the holeshot is pretty much the most important thing in a drag,, and on pavement makes it even harder, for the rider,, not to wheelie, not to miss gears,,, think about it

VegasEx'r
04-28-2003, 05:09 PM
i tihnk you might get a different answer here 2...in MX the 400ex rules all...at races all you see is a stream of yellow and red 400ex's....the Z is second best simply becasue its a copy of the 400ex design...better engine..liquid cooling...reverse.....and raptor looks....but the 400ex is still better because it was the original verson and wasnt copied.....i bet if the riders are equal the 400ex will win at any mx track if the mods are about the same also

I won't argue with you there. I didn't explain myself clearly enough. Stock vs. stock, the Rap & Pred are the two best quads you can buy. IMO, they are the best starting points for a production quad. The EX is certianly an awesome quad, but is there anyone here who would say that in stock trim it isn't far behind everyone else?

Freeride,
The motor is made by Fuji, and I have also heard that at least the a-arms were built by Arens, but I don't know if that is true or just an urban legend-type thing.

TORO1968
04-28-2003, 05:43 PM
Here we go again... Can we set up a shootout forum and let these guys duke it out in there? :D

QuadJunkies
04-28-2003, 07:46 PM
I think DW has it our for the Predator I swear:rolleyes: ..I too have heard that sand tires bogged it down, but I dont remeber what they were runnin with wither, Our buddy rides with Geckos and when he races up the and hills here at our dunes he beas ours up with the stockers, so It cant be doing that bad..First gear is a real drag on the predator IMO, I cant wait to throw a pipe on ours..Im patiently wating to see some numbers before buying one.. But Im telling you first hand, you hit mid range and its a real screamer:macho Take it on a tail and its gonna go where ever you want it, and as for hill climbs...well, it just keeps on going....:D heers a sand hill drag Raptor on the left ours in themiddle and a TLD with paddles on the right,

QuadJunkies
04-28-2003, 07:47 PM
heres it against the Z400

QuadJunkies
04-28-2003, 07:48 PM
she jumps good too......

QuadJunkies
04-28-2003, 07:49 PM
it just keeps on going the more you rev her, the more she likes it...:D

QuadJunkies
04-28-2003, 07:56 PM
And yes... I agree;) ALOT has to do with the rider too..... Its mostly a preference ..Ive seen a few friends ride there Raptors like no other and stomp a lot of Quadsand at the dunes. well, I havnet taken my big duning trip yet but I have a sneaky feeling that the Rapotro may take this one when duning,its gonna be a close one I think IMO....Drag racing though. its gonna be close more rider issue

danyeo
04-29-2003, 03:18 AM
Hey quadjunkies! Can i um, huh, come over your house and ride up them hills? I'll load my Dale up in my truck and be there in about 5 days, lol. JK. But man those hills look so nice, my Cannibal wants a piece of em!!

QuadJunkies
04-29-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by danyeo
Hey quadjunkies! Can i um, huh, come over your house and ride up them hills? I'll load my Dale up in my truck and be there in about 5 days, lol. JK. But man those hills look so nice, my Cannibal wants a piece of em!! Sure!!! Come on down!!!:blah Yup, the Dale would luv that hill:macho ... The cam doesnt do justice for that hill. its HUGE!!:eek:

danyeo
04-29-2003, 06:21 AM
That hill looks pretty sick from here! Does your Predator have an appetite for rice like the Dales do?:devil lol

QuadJunkies
04-29-2003, 06:28 AM
That hill looks pretty sick from here! Does your Predator have an appetite for rice like the Dales do?:devil lol LOL!:p How do you like your Dale? This is what we were going to get before the predator, but felt too unsure with all the changes taken place with the Co. and all...They got a 02 Speed here for sale for 4000.00 and A guy I know offered him 3500.00 so he may be getting a steal!:blah This isnt a common quad around this area so would be cool to see all those who bag on it to get ther areses kicked by one:macho

danyeo
04-29-2003, 07:57 AM
I love it. My last quad was a 400ex, which i really did like, great for every kind of riding except draggin. I really beat on the 400, but the Cannibal is in another league. I almost bought a Pred but found the Dale for 4600 plus i got a ton a spares. From what i know the Pred and Cannibal are similiar like they way they like to be revved and they are both great on the track. I think they both make similiar HP. I don't like Raptors, they do feel too high and unstable and vibrate too much. I did feel like i could ride the 400ex as hard as i wanted to, on fire roads i had the throttle pegged all the time. I have not really aired the Dale out yet but on small jumps it felt great. The maintenance is more but not too bad. I have seen some Pred's out in PA, i would love to take one for a spin.

QuadJunkies
04-29-2003, 08:07 AM
I love it. My last quad was a 400ex, which i really did like, great for every kind of riding except draggin. I really beat on the 400, but the Cannibal is in another league. I almost bought a Pred but found the Dale for 4600 plus i got a ton a spares. From what i know the Pred and Cannibal are similiar like they way they like to be revved and they are both great on the track. I think they both make similiar HP. I don't like Raptors, they do feel too high and unstable and vibrate too much. I did feel like i could ride the 400ex as hard as i wanted to, on fire roads i had the throttle pegged all the time. I have not really aired the Dale out yet but on small jumps it felt great. The maintenance is more but not too bad. I have seen some Pred's out in PA, i would love to take one for a spin. I know what you mean on the mainentaince, like the Dale, the Predator has to have frequent maintence too, but really this isnt a big deal just have to spend a bit more time on it is all..;) Like other quads, it feels a bit dif. from the rest, else ya like it or ya dopnt, it took a little getting used to from the 400ex, but lovin it for sure!:macho

04-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by x20blaster02x
the holeshot is pretty much the most important thing in a drag,, and on pavement makes it even harder, for the rider,, not to wheelie, not to miss gears,,, think about it

omg, im not gonna argue with you....i drag race all the time in my pits.....and realy if you think about it...yes getting up to top gear as fast as you can isnt exactly the easiest thing...but you figure once there both in the top gear and throttle is pinned...and i saw the raptor pulling away still....i hate it when people say i dont know what im talking about:rolleyes:

Originally posted by honda250xrider
uhh duh...im pretty sure drag racing doesnt take much skill...the hole shot part does but i was talking about on pavement..its not that hard to shift and got WOT through all the gears

theres alot more skill invovled with drag racing then u think ;)

wow im being told how to drag race....the what i wrote above goes to you to:rolleyes:

400exredrider
04-29-2003, 02:51 PM
I had a friend of mine take my crotch rocket out by my predator on a straight away (highway) and its a brand new CBR600 and right by it full speed he said the speedometer on it said it hit 80......shure feels like it also.....keeps up with my new 440.......dont have 465 anymore for them that may be wondering.....i dont really like predator in trails........well thats what i use it for and i use my 440 for MX so im not really use to it but its very hard seat and shock roughness is not a plus its definatly not as nice riding as say a stock 400 lets just put it that way.......wiat till i get money for a 560 kit for the pred:devil :devil but all in all id say it will kill a raptor......i will find out if you would like me to....:D

VegasEx'r
04-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Have you tried adjusting the shocks at all? Mine were a little soft at first, but now I have them pretty well set, and I think they work better than any other stock shocks I have ever used. The seat is hard, tht's for sure. If you slide back more, it getas softer, but then it feels like you are in an unnatural riding position, plus I always slide to the hard part anyways. Oh well, no stock quad is perfect, but I am certianly happy w/ my Predator.

TroyLeePred03
04-30-2003, 03:00 AM
ya no kidding rough shocks my ***....stop makin your ex sound like its so much better....34 rear adjustements stock i think your not tuning it right....remember when u adjust the clicker on the rezzie you need to adjust the rebound on the bottom of the shock to make any noticeable difference....this is what the polaris tech told us because people would complaint they dont feel much difference when they change clicker positions.....the front is preload only but thatd easy and you can always get the rezzies for them or have darl rath revalve them...also the springs can be changed....lata~TLP

400exredrider
04-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Hey dont be flaming first of all im not trying to say its better then a 400ex.....my 400ex its definatly better then it but theres a reason for that and thats because i have thousands of dollars in my 440 second of all im saying just the things i noticed not that they affect yoy cause the trails here are very rought and the pred just isnt set up right for it at the moment......why would i dis a quad i have:rolleyes: i love the pred for a stock production quad thats why i brought up the point that it hit 80 ok so just chill....i like it they way it is just saying What i DONT like:D catching me now?

440exnacsracer
04-30-2003, 03:57 PM
ive beat 3 stock raptors, one piped/airfiltered:eek2: raptor and a piped shee. the only thing that has beaten me is another predator when they got the jump off the line...oh and the guy on the piped raptor got pissed off so he started jumping off the line way to early. lol.:D i was like WTF:eek2: :huh

RuffRyder400ex
05-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda4trax250x u asked were on long island i live. i live in riverhead.

tait_gt2002
05-02-2003, 12:43 PM
Seems like there are quite a few Pred. people in here, so I'll ask...

I liked the way the machine felt when I sat on it, except for a few minor things. First was the shift lever was WAY too high, and I also felt like the pegs were just a little too far back. Anything you can do about either of these?

I've also heard everything from the Predator just isn't putting out power, to what you guys are saying that it will beat any stock quad. I'm considering a DS, I want a stable machine with some decent speed, it will be a dune/wide open country machine. Is the Predator pretty good for this?

VegasEx'r
05-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by tait_gt2002
Seems like there are quite a few Pred. people in here, so I'll ask...

I liked the way the machine felt when I sat on it, except for a few minor things. First was the shift lever was WAY too high, and I also felt like the pegs were just a little too far back. Anything you can do about either of these?

I've also heard everything from the Predator just isn't putting out power, to what you guys are saying that it will beat any stock quad. I'm considering a DS, I want a stable machine with some decent speed, it will be a dune/wide open country machine. Is the Predator pretty good for this?

The way the shifter comes from the factory, it is way too high. I lowered mine as far as it would go (too low & it will hit the frame & not downshift) and it still felt a little high, but after about 5 minutes of riding, I was used to it. It felt a lot different than my 400 or my friends Raptors, but again, after a few minutes riding, I was used to it. My friends all felt the same way.
As far as power, it does seem to be a little weak on the bottom end, but as soon as you get into the mid-range, hang on. I am not sure if the bottom end is caused by carb issues (jetting, vacuum issues), gearing or air flow (take a look at the TINY snorkel, I think it'd be like trying to run a marathon while breathing through a straw), or a combination of all three. Give the aftermarket a couple of months and I am sure there will be plenty of options for waking up the bottom end.
As far as the Predator vs. a DS, I haven't had a chance to race any DS's at the dunes, so I don't know how they compare. Having ridden the two at different times, I would say they both feel quite stable, suspension is close (I am biased, so I would give the nod to the Pred, but it is really probably too close to tell). The DS seat is much more comfortable. One drawback to the DS is that it seems like aftermarket parts for it are way more expensive than for other quads ('seems' is key here, I haven't researched it a lot, so I could be wrong).
Of course I would say to get the Predator. I love mine. Can't wait to get some performance parts for it.

QuadJunkies
05-02-2003, 01:51 PM
I just ordered the first mods today......:D 13 tooth sprocket, Pro Armour nerfs, and a new trinity full system!!!...:blah I have went over and over the specs on the pipes and this with the K&N and Dynos I ordered will give the most I think... I tried to post the pic,. but its abmp file and too big to post.:( Ill have it by Wed...