PDA

View Full Version : My 400EX has had starting problems for far too long PLEASE HELP ME GUYS!!!!!

Toughass400EX
04-28-2003, 09:59 AM
Okay guys so here's the deal, like 3 months after i got my 2002 400ex I started to have starting problems, so i assumed it was the battery, so i replaced the battery, and it still doesnt work. For a while i was putting the battery on jumper cables , jumping it then juicing the battery and riding the rest of the day...... then that stopped working, it would still jump and start but the battery would nevery juice, then one night i was getting ready to go riding the next morning at Flat River and i threw the battery on a charger, woke up and it started, still kinda of a rough start, but it started......... so lately ive been pop startin it, when its cold i get SOME WEIRD ***** ,......... constant rapid.."clicking" noise coming from what i think is the starter solenoid, let me know what i can do about this, is it my starter, alternator, solenoid.........whatever it may be, my friends tell me I got a lemon cause the bikes so damn yellow...
THANKS A LOT GUYS...

PLEASE HELP....this has been goin on too long

Castor-426ex
04-28-2003, 10:05 AM
if you still got a warranty take it in its prob electrical

but it could be the armature in the starter

Dirt
04-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Check your voltage regulator/ rectifier for corroded or burnt terminals. Its the black thing with fins on it behind the battery (behind as in towards the rear of the quad). And Don't jump your quad with a car battery, its not good for it...

mxracer111
04-28-2003, 12:24 PM
sounds like a bad CDI box to me.... those are the simptoms when the white bros. CDI goes bad

250EXking
04-28-2003, 02:00 PM
does it have an aftermarket rev box on it. cuz it says that it will only start with fully charged batterys with those limiters. or it could be somthing electrical.

Castor-426ex
04-28-2003, 03:15 PM
eh i dunno it could be the rev box....play with the fuel mixture screw could be that....or a bad plug....or bad gas.....

Tumbleweed
04-28-2003, 07:32 PM
All the above sounds like good advice. My 2002 400 EX is a ******* to start plus the battery wont hold a charge. I've had it in and they say theres nothing wrong with it. The 2003 I just got starts instantly and stays running, battery holding a charge as well. Boy, is the weld quality on these new Hondas S-H-I-T-T-Y or what? I almost feel stupid for buying another Honda after the problems with my 02. Brother has a Z400 and it lacks a little low end but screams otherwise. Oh well.

04-29-2003, 02:13 AM
sounds like you got a bad ground...Go over your complete wiring harness and find the loose connection.. 400ex's will get little problems that drive most people nuts and think it's a costly fix. Learn to know your 400ex and you'll find that what seems to be a big problem is mearly a loose wire or something needs a little grease in it....:)

danyeo
04-29-2003, 03:42 AM
I agree with Rico, check your cables and wires.. I had a 400ex and the black, ground, cable from the battery cracked and if i didn't make full contact myself by pushing the cable around while i tried to start it would make that clicking noise, once the connection was made it started. Have someone try and start it for you as you play around with the cables and see if you can make the problem happen, maybe that way you can find the issue. If your quad is completely dead then check the fuse, because i blew mine and if you hear that clicking noise or if you are having ground and electrical issues you might blow the fuse. They are very cheap though so you might want to pick up a spare anyhow.