PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Again... need help!

Str8Wicked
04-28-2003, 04:54 AM
OK I'm working on the bike once again trying to get all the hubs off to send to Pappy. For some reason I can't get the rear hubs to come loose. The but will not break loose. I put WD40 on it over night and will try it when I get home today again. Anyone have any tricks for this.

Also to put on my new A-arms I need a ball joint remover. If I go to pep boys will the auto ones work.... Let me know..

Pappy
04-28-2003, 05:00 AM
the rear hubs can be a b!tch:( i had the kids hold the brake and the wife hold the other hub with a big breaker bar to get mine loose. maybe try snuggin them a bit then loosening

dont use the ball joint remover. smack the spindle near the ball joinmt with a hammer sometimes works:ermm: but i use a socket inbetween the two ball joints...and loosen the nuts ...which in turn "pops" the ball joints.

good luck :)

CBW
04-28-2003, 05:07 AM
to get the ball joints off i use a brass pin and a hammer cause the brass is obviously much softer and will not mushroom the threads on the ball joints

Str8Wicked
04-28-2003, 05:27 AM
I tried smaking it and nothing happened. With the rear hub I took the pin out and even put the wheels back on so I could stand on the wheel while trying to brake the hub nut free... Nothing happened thou... Hopefully today after the WD40 it will be a bit looser...

KrazyKid300ex
04-28-2003, 06:13 AM
I held the brake and had it in gear on they can right off

RideRed400StYlE
04-28-2003, 06:24 AM
try some PB Blaster, that will loosen it up. also make sure you have the hub nut taken off.. lol

300exTJjeeper
04-28-2003, 07:02 AM
how about heating the hub with a torch, that is what I would do but not much to heat as it will distort the hub and axle. but try a little bit of heat.

Str8Wicked
04-28-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by RideRed400StYlE
try some PB Blaster, that will loosen it up. also make sure you have the hub nut taken off.. lol

The pin is off the hub nut which I had to cut off since it wouldn't slipout. The hub nut s the one that won't come off... I tried with my breaker bar first than switched to using my torque wrench since it is maybe 2 inches longer than my breaker. Neither would pry that fuccer off.... Hopefully with all the WD40 I sprayed on it it will help remove it tonight.....

lil400exman
04-28-2003, 08:08 AM
whoever said torch it and in 30 seconds it will be off man.........................i did to my axle nut on my 400 and i could turn it with a lil pipe wrench!:macho

Str8Wicked
04-28-2003, 08:26 AM
I actually thought about torching it to heat of the metal as well. I'm sure it will work since the nut should expand with heat...

300exTJjeeper
04-28-2003, 09:10 AM
yeapyeapyeap
Heat is the best soultion tot he problem, I have taken many nuts and bolts off with heat. Just apply a little heat and whooolaa it's off, no questions ask, and nothing to break a sweat on.

Let me know how it works out

Str8Wicked
04-28-2003, 09:29 AM
Well I have tonight to get them off so I can get the quad back together by next week...

250rmike
04-28-2003, 10:57 AM
what idid was to get my dad to hold the brakes and put the wratchet on and get a 3ft long pipe for the extra torque seems to work every time even when the air tools dont

Str8Wicked
04-28-2003, 11:44 AM
I know I have a pipe at work and my pops house that I use for that reason but for some reason I never got one for my house.... damn it... lol

Str8Wicked
04-29-2003, 05:14 AM
OK yesterday I sprayed even more WD40 on the hub nut, took a torch to it until it was very hot and tried loosening it with my breaker bar and a 5 foot pipe... No luck... I need another trick or something cause neither of the rear bolts are coming off... I have knocked them with hammers, put tons of torque on them... The only thing I can think of is they might be other hand threads... I believe the threads are normal correct. Counter Clockwise removes them right?

Damn things are becoming a pian in the *****

Dirt
04-29-2003, 05:27 AM
Did the pipe, breaker bar, extension, socket or nut bend/break? If not put some more muscle into it.. With a five foot bar the nut should be no problem, unless its rounded. If your gonna heat the thing only heat one side of the nut, like only one flat. How are you keeping the axle from spinning? Use a six point socket.

Dirt
04-29-2003, 05:28 AM
Six point socket to take the nut off.....

Str8Wicked
04-29-2003, 05:46 AM
The friggin thing won't give. I am using more than a 6 point socket but it is gripping fine at this point. The bolt is not rounded, etc. I am stopping the axle from moving by applying pressure to the tire, having some one put the rear brake on, and basically putting all my weight on to the pipe.... I thought my axel was gonna twist last night when trying to get it off....

250rmike
04-29-2003, 05:50 AM
at this point if i was you i would cut it off and buy a rpm lol

Str8Wicked
04-29-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by 250rmike
at this point if i was you i would cut it off and buy a rpm lol

Believe me I'm getting to that point.... I think I'll get it off sooner or later but think eithier the hub nut will be damaged or axle... Fucc it I guess.....

Str8Wicked
04-29-2003, 08:11 AM
are you guys sure the axel nut is regualr thread and not reversed. It seems nothing is happening...

nacs400ex
04-29-2003, 10:29 AM
I am positive its a regular thread. I use my air gun to take it off. But with anything I take off I usually use a torch if its stuck. If that doesnt work I usually bring it to one of the local welders. I hade a header stud stuck in. He got it out no problem. If you had to cut the pin, are you sure there still isnt pin in there. Try heating it up again, let it heat until its as hot as you can get it. Then get that ***ker out and throw the nut in the garbage, BAD LUCK lol.

Str8Wicked
04-29-2003, 11:21 AM
no pin in their.. It all came out.. i just had to cut the bent part at the end because I couldn't get it straight enough..

anywhereEx
04-29-2003, 11:52 AM
I tried everything in the world from a 5ft cheater bar to a impact and torch. What I eventually had to do was take a dremil with a cutting wheel and cross cut one of the points off as clost to the threads as I could without getting into them. Then took a 2ft bar and spun it off. If you do that be carefull you do not get into the spindle or threads and if you need a new nut I have one laying around. Dustin

Str8Wicked
04-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys.. I decided to screw it and just keep the hubs on instead of sending them to get PC'd... I'm gonna waiting until I have enough money to buy a set of billet hubs and just worry about it than....... screw it.....

Dirt
04-29-2003, 12:35 PM
At least you don't have to worry about it coming lose while ridin.:)

250rpilot
04-29-2003, 03:27 PM
might as well save up for a new torque wrench too, if you used it as a long ratchet and over torqued it, the wrench is no longer accurate, throw it away.

Str8Wicked
04-30-2003, 06:17 AM
250R.. I have used my torque many times for projects like this. I have tested mine against my friends brand new one and after mine being about 4 years old it is about 1 lb. off from his... I love my Craftsmen tools... Even thou they don't lifetime guarentee there torques wrenches they are still kick *****.....

k2-dawg
04-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Try some penetrating oil (purchase at automotive store), let sit overnight. If that won't do it, cut the nut off and buy a new one.

k2-dawg
04-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Billet hubs suck! Will wear out QUICK!!! Not worth the money.

Str8Wicked
05-01-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by k2-dawg
Try some penetrating oil (purchase at automotive store), let sit overnight. If that won't do it, cut the nut off and buy a new one.

I have penetrating oil at home but never used it on my quad or in the garage......

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :blah :blah :blah

Str8Wicked
05-01-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by k2-dawg

I have penetrating oil at home but never used it on my quad or in the garage......

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :blah :blah :blah