PDA

View Full Version : hehe poor man's prefilter

Prazak250EX
04-27-2003, 03:57 PM
I'm such a BUM! WEll I got bored and decided to see how 3 layers of pantyhose would work on my filter, and it's pretty sweet, runs good and I don't have to clean the filter as much. If you're tight on money, then this is a good way lol

300exazzkikr
04-27-2003, 04:48 PM
3 layers??, i would think 1 or 2 would be fine..:blah

Prazak250EX
04-27-2003, 04:52 PM
yeah, I think 3'll be fine, I just got a chance to test it out in my back yard
once I go trailriding, I'll let you know what I stick with

250EXking
04-28-2003, 01:31 PM
i saw someone that took an uni foam and cut off the end so it was nothing but foam and stuck it over a k and n and put it in thier bike. i bet no dirt got in that sucker.

bmw500hp
04-28-2003, 01:37 PM
Pantyhose eh...so maybe a nice pair of pre-oiled panties would work even better :devil

Elmo on PCP
04-28-2003, 02:08 PM
ive herd of GNCC and Baja racers useing pany hoes and layering them on there filter and attaching a string to them and when the filter gets gloged with a loda dust they pull the string to relase a new one ect,, and so on

Prazak250EX
04-28-2003, 02:14 PM
HAH! I KNEW I THOUGHT UP SOMETHING GOOD!

ridered86
04-28-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
Pantyhose eh...so maybe a nice pair of pre-oiled panties would work even better :devil

LMAO:D

400exdad
04-29-2003, 06:23 AM
Do you have to use a garter belt with the panty hose idea? :D

KY Woods Rider
04-29-2003, 01:22 PM
The pantyhose trick has been around for quite a while and is a good way for do-it-yourselfers (like me) and cheapies (also like me) to run pre-filters without having to buy them.

As for the 3 layers, I think that might be a bit excessive under normal circumstances. I normally just use 1 layer and it does just fine. 2 layers might be a good idea if you were racing a long and extremely dusty race, so you could pull one off and still have another one on there (which could also be pulled if needed).

The reason I run only 1 layer is simple, the pre-filter adds more resistance to the air flow. I know it sounds stupid (how could pantyhose restrict airflow?:huh). Well, put your hand up in front of your face and blow on it. Now, with your other hand, hold the pantyhose between your face and hand (stretch them a bit, like they would be on the filter), then blow on your hand. As you can tell from the demonstration, the pantyhose will disturb the airflow. Therefore, I prefer to run no more than 1 layer. If you get really excessive with the layers, then you will likely notice it in throttle response and possibly at high rpm.

Also, changing the pantyhose pre-filter often will allow for a bit longer intervals between air filter cleanings. However, you still need to clean the filter regularly, because the pre-filter will only stop the larger particles while the really small dust particles will get embedded deep within the filter, even though the surface looks fairly clean.

04-29-2003, 02:45 PM
that is correct (billy madison) when i got my 400 the retard had put like 5 layers on it and i drove it and tried to wheelie and it was harder to do than my ol 300. SO i checked the air box and the guy had all that hose over it so i took it off and it was as good as new. this was on a stock filter btw.

nuttynewt
04-30-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider

The reason I run only 1 layer is simple, the pre-filter adds more resistance to the air flow. I know it sounds stupid (how could pantyhose restrict airflow?:huh). Well, put your hand up in front of your face and blow on it. Now, with your other hand, hold the pantyhose between your face and hand (stretch them a bit, like they would be on the filter), then blow on your hand. As you can tell from the demonstration, the pantyhose will disturb the airflow. Therefore, I prefer to run no more than 1 layer. If you get really excessive with the layers, then you will likely notice it in throttle response and possibly at high rpm.

And that experiment my friend, is sure to win you Kentucky's nomination for the Nobell Peace Prize!!!:D :devil :D

REC
04-30-2003, 06:19 AM
I prefer stockings!!lol

2k2-300exnj
04-30-2003, 06:39 AM
creative but i already payed for my prefilter and it doesnt have runs... lol:macho