PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem

John
04-27-2003, 02:16 PM
I have a problem with my stock clutch on my 300. When i pull it in and shift it takes off and when i let it out and then pull it back in it keeps going it does this in all the gears. I tried to adjusted it at the perch itself and nothing happens except the clutch pulls easyer and thats it. So do i need a new clutch or what do i do to get it to work right? Thanks.

swamprider7
04-27-2003, 02:43 PM
Mine is doing the same thing. I have adjusted the cable to several positions and am positive that is not the problem. It has been doing it since I bought it. If you rev the throttle when it is creeping, it stops. I have heard of several 300's with this problem. I think that somebody on here should know.

ralph2
04-27-2003, 02:47 PM
the problem could be as simple as ther jsut being too much slack in the cable so when u pull it it doesnt engage all the way, try to take all the slack out...

swamprider7
04-28-2003, 02:30 AM
Trust me, it is not the amount of slack in my cable. I have adjusted the cable where it has no slack and it did not fix it. I have tried several different cable adjustments and I am positive that it is not the problem. The only way to get it to fully disengage is to rev the motor when it is creeping with the lever pulled in.

airheadedduner
04-28-2003, 05:24 AM
Cables will strech over time. Try changing your oil but most likly the cable is just old and streched. You would also buy a new quick adjust perch, sometimes they give you more adjust ment, and it gets rid of all that crap on the bars.

300exazzkikr
04-28-2003, 07:06 AM
get a new cable. Change your oil. Try it and see what happens, if that doesn't work, pull the side cover off and see what's goin on in there.

Chanman420q
04-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Maybe ur clutch springs are bad

swamprider7
04-30-2003, 05:17 AM
Its not my cable! I have adjusted it to many different positions. I just changed my oil last week, and I put new barnett HD springs in my clutch a few months ago. Besides, HD springs just keep the clutch from slipping and the clutch does not slip at all, it just creeps a little when it is in gear with the lever pulled in. Like I said before, it stops creeping when I rev the motor. I am thinking that I could possibly have warped clutch plates:confused: Please don't reply if you are just going to tell me to adjust my cable! I know it is not the problem. I have heard of this problem before with other 300ex owners.

airheadedduner
04-30-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by swamprider7
Its not my cable! I have adjusted it to many different positions. I just changed my oil last week, and I put new barnett HD springs in my clutch a few months ago. Besides, HD springs just keep the clutch from slipping and the clutch does not slip at all, it just creeps a little when it is in gear with the lever pulled in. Like I said before, it stops creeping when I rev the motor. I am thinking that I could possibly have warped clutch plates:confused: Please don't reply if you are just going to tell me to adjust my cable! I know it is not the problem. I have heard of this problem before with other 300ex owners.

I am not saying adjust it. Just because you adjusted it does not mean it is right. Especially since you added HD springs there is a good chance it streched. If the cabe streached then no matter how much you adjust it you will not be able to take out enough slack. I have the barnnets in my R right now and they are considerably stiffer then stock. I ran CR500 springs before too and thoose where hard on cables. Besides clutch cables are cheap anyway, if I am wrong then you got a spare. How much freeplay do you have in your lever?? There should be a 1/16th or so.

Warped clutch plates could cause that but I am betting not. Unless you where dragging and cooking your clutch I doubt it warped. It takes a lot of heat to warp a clutch, I have fried baskets first.

Just my opinion, chill out dude people are just making suggestions. It don't mean you have to listen to them. I know no one listens to me:p

2k2-300exnj
04-30-2003, 06:46 AM
not trying to make u sound stupid because u prolly did but i read up top i adjusted the perch did anyone adjust it where it goes to the clutch itself not on the handlebars?
if thats not it change or oil and buy a new cable like the others said it prolly just got stretched out over time from hard use...

go_chrisg
08-05-2003, 03:28 AM
Chanman420q Maybe ur clutch springs are bad

i was thinking the same because my clutch was in perfect condition then i changed my handlebars and now the clutch doesnt work!! :mad: and it has proper freeplay and dosent seem to be an ajustment and just changed oil recently....so i was thinkin has anyone ever had a problem with clutch springs letting go??

go_chrisg
08-05-2003, 03:52 AM
http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx300ex_93_01/right_crankcase_cover.jpg

do u guys think that maybe part # 12 let go on my bike cause i can actually lift part #11 up and down about 1/4 of an inch??

drip
08-05-2003, 05:55 PM
I don't think that part 12 would cause this. My friends 300ex has done the creep thing from the day he bought it new from the dealer. We tried different adjustments to get it with some freeplay but when we did this it creeped really bad. Right now it has very little freeplay and it still creeps. It seems that the clutch doesn't disengage fully. If anyone knows how to fix this my friend would appreciate it.

mdl76
02-25-2005, 10:11 PM
cant anyone figurew these out? i replaced my handle bars and noew my clutch will not work. I have the right freeplay to.