PDA

View Full Version : Renthal Handlebar ???????

2qk4u
12-26-2001, 09:28 AM
Hello I am new to the site and have a question for you all. I own a 02 400 ex and just installed a new set of Renthal 7/8 bars. I was installing my light/starter switch assy. on the bars and noticed there was a plastic tab/tit on the back side of the switch where the 2 screws go in the back part of the switch. well the stock bars have a hole for that tab to fit into so the switch assy. wont rotate. so the only thing i had to do at the time was to file that tab down so I could mount my switch assy. on the renthals. well when i did this it made the switch assy. really loose on the renthals because the diameter if the hole in the switch is the same size as the bars. so i had to rap a little bit of electrical tape around that part of the bar so the switch assy. would tighten down. its fair now but i know it wont last this way. Iam afraid to drill a hole in the bar like the stock ones figuring it will weaken it. I know there has to be somebody out there that has experienced this problem and if you have any good solutions please let me know either by posting it on here or email me at Fizzerbill@kscable.com.

thanks

moto93
12-26-2001, 09:39 AM
When I put on my Renthals I removed the tab from my switch too but didn't have a problem with it tightening up. Seems like the tape thing should work though. Maybe you can sand/file a little off the back of the switch to make it fit tighter too? Just a thought.

12-26-2001, 09:40 AM
Yup I just cut the tab off and used a file to smooth it out..

2qk4u
12-26-2001, 10:24 AM
I dont know why mine didnt work then tightening up. I just made it worse after filing the tab off. I dont really want to stay with the tape idea due to if it gets wet or something the switch will start to move around then i will have to replace the tape and that will get old. if you here of any good solutions please let me know.

thanks all

JEFF8400EX
12-26-2001, 11:01 AM
TAKE THE SWITCH APART AND FILE THE PART OF THE SWITCH THAT GOES TO THE OTHSR PART OF THE SWITCH THIS WILL LET THE SCREWS PULL IT FURTHER TOGETHER IF YOU KNOW WHAT UM SAYING

2qk4u
12-26-2001, 11:10 AM
Jeff so which one do i need to file? does it matter? so filing one of them will allow it to fit tighter up against the bars and tighten down when i tighten the screws? Did you have to do this to yours?

JEFF8400EX
12-26-2001, 11:12 AM
DOESN'T MATTER WHICH ONE YOU FILE YES DID IT TO MINE

2qk4u
12-26-2001, 11:23 AM
just thinking about this and wouldnt this make it bigger to go around the bar by filing one of the plastic pieces.

JEFF8400EX
12-26-2001, 12:00 PM
DON'T FILE OUT WHERE IT GOES AROUND THE BARS FILE THE FLAT WHERE THE TO PCS OF THE SWITCH GO TOGETHER

12-26-2001, 12:07 PM
Taping it is a good thing because this is similar to what guys do to their clutch perches...put teflon tape between perch and bars so that they stay put during normal use, but if you dump it over it wil rotate instead of breaking off. saves a lot on broken parts.

400exBro
12-26-2001, 04:32 PM
Ow crap i drilled a lit notcch (not to the center ) just enough so it would sung in and i have no problems so far..
So you think i will have a problem ????

12-27-2001, 10:50 AM
Not if you don't dump it:p ...seriously, I dont think its a big deal, and if you worry about it you can remove the notch and tape it..the hole wont be a big deal I don't thnk.:square

Pepto_Bismol
12-27-2001, 04:58 PM
All I did was use a bit of electrical tape too. It shouldn't be sliding anytime soon, since it's not really a functional part that I actually USE during riding, like a brake or a clutch. Generally I don't thumb it real hard either when I shut it off. But what everyone is talking about when you file it is the FLAT part on the top and bottom where the plastic actually comes together. But for me, tape was much faster and easier!

Pep.:cool:

(Anytime you drill extra holes in something, that will always weaken the structural integrity of it. But in this case, I don't think there is much to worry about.) ;)

12-28-2001, 12:05 PM
I drew some facts for you but im not sure that u cut the tag off.

12-28-2001, 12:06 PM
sry I mean tab my mistake