PDA

View Full Version : I want what everybody wants....

deogey
04-27-2003, 03:59 AM
more power....
(i tried to do a search for 440 kits but it's only 3 letters and won't let me search :( )

here's what i'm looking at.. I've got a 99 400ex, it's used, abused and riden hard... and i love it.

i've been thinking of going with a big bore kit (440, 416-426 just don't seem worth it), just a few questions and concerns...

do any kits come complete with the jug?
any recomendations on who's kit to use?
who's more reliable? 11:1 12.5:1??
are any other mods required? (i assume at least jetting...)
99% of the riding i do here in CT is illegal, sooo i need to keep it quiet - preferably the stock pipe, is this possible?

i guess i'm just frustrated, sure the 400 is a great bike stock, but i work all the corners to get past ppl or to stay out front only to come to a staight section and have the DS650's and Cannondale's go flying by....:grr

04-27-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by deogey
more power....
(i tried to do a search for 440 kits but it's only 3 letters and won't let me search :( )

type 440* :D

Originally posted by deogey
do any kits come complete with the jug?
any recomendations on who's kit to use?
who's more reliable? 11:1 12.5:1??
are any other mods required? (i assume at least jetting...)
99% of the riding i do here in CT is illegal, sooo i need to keep it quiet - preferably the stock pipe, is this possible?

You can try the IMS 440 kit. I havent heard that much abt it though or u can send it to an engine builder like sparks, LRD, etc. The lower the compression the more reliable but less performance. Also over 11:1 u need race gas. For other mods needed depending on the cam and stuff u may need to hardface ur rockers, heavier valve springs, heavy duty cam chain, etc. Also if u want u can keep the stock pipe but that will cut down on perfomance big time. I would try and get a quieter aftermarket pipe so u see big gains with the 440. hope i helped

RED121572
04-27-2003, 04:49 AM
Be prepared, you gonna get ALOT of advice on this one. LOL

You wanna keep up with a Cannondale and the DS's huh. Do you have a large wallet?? LOL

Right now on EBay, you can get the same kit that Im currently doing. Its called a Weisco 440 kit. There selling pretty cheap for less than 200 clams. You get the piston, sleeve and gaskets. The compression ratio on em is 12.5.1

11.1 compression enables you to run pump gas, any higher than that, you gotta use race gas.

Building the motor isnt all the cheap. The machine shop charged me 140 bucks to set the new sleeve in the jug. Most places will charge you a nipple hair under 200 clams to do it.:eek:

Im going from a 11.1 406 to a 12.5.1 440. Heres all what Ive done to prepare for my 440......

I replaced the valve seals, replaced valve springs, had the valves lapped, replaced the studs and head bolts ( I highly STRESS replacing the studs and headbolts!!)

Just a note, those 440 kits on EBay are NOT actual 440 kits like the guy says they are. They are actually 435's. The piston that comes with the kit is an 89 mm. A true 440 is a 89.5 mm. I pointed that out to the seller but that azzhole is still advertising that his kits are 440's.
:mad:

04-28-2003, 06:45 PM
:macho :macho :devil :devil :D :D :blah :blah

deogey
04-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
:macho :macho :devil :devil :D :D :blah :blah

what's that suposed to mean???:confused:

zlam27
04-29-2003, 01:23 PM
here is what you need to beat those other quads, and almost anything else out there. dont get too hostile, i have an EX also, but you just cant beat the balls this thing brings to the table.

deogey
04-29-2003, 01:49 PM
sure but it's no good for the trails i ride here in CT... lots of technicle rocky stuff

i'm very happy with my 400, don't want to make this a 'power war ' but at 26hp vs 40+ on all the big bikes now i'd like to bump it up a little...

with 440 kits under $200 i was just wondering what else i needed to do to really make it beneficial to me or if there were better alternatives that would save me some cake.....

my only real requirement is keeping the stock pipe... like i said 99% of the riding i do is illegal so if i can keep it quiet i can stay out of trouble.....

KrazyKid300ex
04-29-2003, 01:59 PM
where do you ride? we gotta hook up sometime and go riding

Dune Surfer
04-29-2003, 03:04 PM
The 440 kit will help, but you will need a cam. Hotcams is only $130. That and a carb and mabey a powerbomb header and you will be happy. Plan on running some mixture of race gas though 50/50 mix. the higher the compression the less reliable, but faster. get the studs and a head gasket from sparks racing.

04-29-2003, 07:17 PM
what's that suposed to mean???

Not sure just like those faces LOL

04-29-2003, 07:24 PM
Ok Sorry but it was just to bring up the thread in the user cp cause i didnt have time b4. :)

What kind of mods you have now?

If you use the same pipe it will be sightly louder with the bigger bore and cam etc.

The least expensive way is to purchase all the parts seperatley and have all the machine work done local etc and then do all the set up and assembly your self. Its not easy but not brain surgery either.

Before you do this search out a thread (mods can we please make this a sticky) "have you decked the cylinder" its about the best so far on this subject. Also look into the tech section for the ask mickey dunlap series as thats great also.

The only thing that has changed slightly is that Ross is supplying pistons that will deliver very close to the advertised comp ratios and you should be able to just adjust comp with the gaskets instead of decking.

Have fun, look around and do search and ask questions.

400exdad
04-30-2003, 01:28 AM
Zlam27, Didn't you read what the guy said? He works all the CORNERS.... :cool:

2k2-300exnj
04-30-2003, 06:57 AM
if u want to stay quit u should at least get a bigger headpipe like a powerbomb bc u are restricting the air coming out of your quad making it choke sort of and not getting full potential but i understand the illeagal riding thing but if u think about it almost everywhere is illeagal now i ride in all illeagal places most of the time and as long as u arent close to houses whats the big deal if a cop see's u it isnt gonna matter much just take a tight trail and be out:D lol but i see your point... if u want a real lot of power u should try a bigger kit but u ride trails and want a stock silencer so i would say a 440 is the biggest you should go just keep in mind the fact of running race gas like the others said once u get a higher compression because it will burn faster if i remember correctly so u will be eatin some gas

Bretmd94
04-30-2003, 08:41 AM
If you cant let the combusted fuel out of the bike any quicker your not going to be able to put much more fuel into it. Your motor will be fighting against the exhaust and forcing it out. If your going 440 maybe you can experiment with some stock pipes from larger bikes. Maybe find a 450f stock exhuast and get creative. That or look for the quietest aftermarket exhaust you can find.

cheetah
04-30-2003, 08:58 AM
I'm not a big fan of FMF, but they have an aftermarket pipe that I'm pretty sure sounds close to stock. Or check into the new White Bros. pipe. Get a powerbomb header or something and you should be alright.

04-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Except for the stock pipped quads the POS mega max on mine is one of the quietest and you can adjust the flow and sound by adding or removing discs.

If your thinking in the direction of the disc type silencers look at the IDSII since you can get it under 180.00 from rocky mtn or CD etc.

One of the major advantages of the dics type silencer is that you can adjust the size of the final exhaust outlet by the amount of discs. This will allow you to run as few as 4 to be quiet when you want and then just add 6, 12 or 14 discs etc when you want to open up the top end power.

Just dont forget that "some" back pressure tends to benefit bottom end torque.

Dune Surfer
04-30-2003, 05:18 PM
no offence but whatever you do DONT GET THE SUPERTRAP. I had one and it didn't last 8 months. I'm still waiting for the free replacement. If you want a disk type get the white brothers or better yet get their new e2 quiet exhaust

04-30-2003, 05:49 PM
Sorry but everyone I asked said good things about the supertrapp :confused: Well nothing is easy :)

oynot400
05-01-2003, 03:37 AM
Here is my experience with a 440. I put an IMS 440 kit. When I did it I also put in a WB track cam and had it ported and polished, nothing major. The piston kit I got was pretty low because I did not want to run race gas, I think it was 10.2:1. This worked pretty well. Granted on the track built 416 and 426's were kicking my *****, Then again they were TC built motors. :rolleyes:
My motor had a lot of lug to it and not so much speed. There were hills that I had no problem climbing that guys on stock machines struggled with.
When you get a 440 kit it will come with every thing. Piston, rings, gaskets and sleeve. You will have to have the sleeve removed out of your jug and have it bored to fit the new bigger sleeve. My guy only charged me $80 to change it and deck it.
All in all I was pretty happy it. Then it seemed like more and more people were running highly built motor, that I had a hard time competing with. That is why I did the stroker, then buying a Gas Gas.
As far a the exhaust noise I ran my 440 once with the stock exhaust. It made it run like crap, stock motors with a pipe would out run me. :( I am not a big fan of FMF 4 stroke exhaust, but they have quite serise that you may want to look into. That or a White Bros e-serise, personally I think the WB is a better pipe.
So this is my advice to you, when power hunger hits, hide your wallet!!!!! :devil

05-01-2003, 05:52 AM
So this is my advice to you, when power hunger hits, hide your wallet!!!!!

Amen

Cody_300ex
05-01-2003, 10:34 AM
If want to keep it quiet i would try maybe the FMF Q system.

05-02-2003, 03:30 PM
I allmost forgot this but the FMF Megamax isnt all that bad either.

It may not produce the most HP but the one on mine is a third time hand me down and been around since 99. It was used on a 3 diff quads and saw a fair amount of time on MX and has seen many rollovers etc and still is in one piece.

Not sure if thats one you would like but thought I would share that experience.