PDA

View Full Version : anodizing (sp?) kit

kicken250x
04-26-2003, 05:01 PM
today i decided to do it. im gonna POR-15 my frame and bottom a-arms black and anodize(sp?) my swing arm top arms and stem red, i just need to know a few things first. ok first how well does the anodizing (sp?) kit hold up? how easy it it to apply? i know someone did it on their wheels and i was wondering if anyone else has had any expirences with it? i would love to see some more pictures of it becuase i cant find the ones of what that one guy did. i would appricate any info you could give me on it. thanks alot! later

racin 400
04-26-2003, 05:09 PM
anodizzing (SP) is only for aluminum.

CHAUNCY
04-26-2003, 05:18 PM
Are you talking about powdercoating ?

kicken250x
04-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by racin 400
anodizzing (SP) is only for aluminum.

it is? wow...that sux..lol there goes my plans! :p oh well ill make do. CHAUNCY- no there is this process called anodizing its like what they do to shock bodies only theirs are hard anozided which makes the metal stronger and the coating it even more resistant to scratching than this kit is. i dont know what the exact process is or anything all i know is that it is supposed to be fairly strong and simple to apply. i would still like to see some pictures and get some more info on it if anyone could help me there. thanks alot! later

kicken250x
04-27-2003, 01:40 PM
anyone? c'mon guys i really need some info on this! thanks

toby400ex
04-27-2003, 01:44 PM
I think anodizing uses chemicals to like stain the metal in a way:confused:

Mxbubs
04-27-2003, 01:59 PM
Anodizing is not for steel frames, only aluminum.

04-27-2003, 02:00 PM
anodizing is basicaly a transluctant chrome that is different colors other than chrome

kicken250x
04-27-2003, 02:28 PM
i wasnt going to anodize my frame i was going to POR it and anodize the swinger and top a-arms and a few other random things (but they were Al anyway so it doesnt matter). a while back there was some1 who had bought this kit and put it on their wheels, it was on a red 400ex. but i dont remember who it was is the bad part about it. i think the kit consisted of 2 spray cans, instructions and a piece of aluminum to test on or something like that. i believe anodizing does stain the metal and looks like a dull translucant PC, i know that if you polish something and then anodize it then it will look like a polished but dull red (or what ever color u do it in) but if there are like... scratches in the metal like from sanding and such then they WILL show up and it will look like crap. thats about all i know about it. i guess ill have to head up to auto zone tomorrow after school and see if they have the kit. thanks alot. later

ralph2
04-27-2003, 02:33 PM
anodizing is a pretty complex process u have to like wash the metal in acid with a current running through it then u have to like our in the color... i dont realy know that wellbut it DOESNT come in a can

CHAUNCY
04-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by kicken250x
it is? wow...that sux..lol there goes my plans! :p oh well ill make do. CHAUNCY- no there is this process called anodizing its like what they do to shock bodies only theirs are hard anozided which makes the metal stronger and the coating it even more resistant to scratching than this kit is. i dont know what the exact process is or anything all i know is that it is supposed to be fairly strong and simple to apply. i would still like to see some pictures and get some more info on it if anyone could help me there. thanks alot! later

Yeah, I know what anodizing is. For some reason I just thought you were talking about powder coating:ermm:

kicken250x
04-27-2003, 02:50 PM
its not like real anodizing. its like a paint i guess. i dont really know because ive never used it im just hoping the guy (if he is still here) will see the thread and fill us all in on it.

kicken250x
04-27-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY
Yeah, I know what anodizing is. For some reason I just thought you were talking about powder coating:ermm:

oh ok its all good

danney f
04-28-2003, 08:09 PM
Go to this web site, they sell all kinds of kits and explains what and how it done.
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/index.html

nacs400ex
04-29-2003, 03:53 AM
I andonized some stuff. Its not real andonzing, but it looks alright. I bought some blue andonizing spray paint. It works pretty good. You just have to make sure the metal has no rust, or oil.Because it will look very *****ty. I did a case saver, sprockets, handlebars. What I did first was put a light coat of the companies chrome colour underneath the andonized blue, this way it would show up better. The company that makes the paint is called Duplicolor. But I got it from Canadian Tire, and I am sure there isnt one in the states.

nacs400ex
04-29-2003, 03:54 AM
Heres the chrome colour on my swingarm, its not real chrome but oh well.

nacs400ex
04-29-2003, 03:56 AM
Heres the blue, but its hard to see because of the bright lights I have in the shop.