PDA

View Full Version : +1 forward?

Fast400exRacer
04-26-2003, 01:06 PM
i am getting +2 a-arms for my 400ex this summer with tcs shocks and was wondering if it is a good idea to get them 1 inch forward or not. If i got them in an inch forward, would i have to get a longer swingarm? I am going to start racing MX this summer and was wondering which would work best for it.

terko440
04-26-2003, 01:41 PM
Hey fast400, I was stuck on that question myself for a long time. I called every swing and a-arm company out there to get some advice and got different answers from everyone. But most of them said, as well as most of the exriders on this site seem to think not to. Everyone knows that the 400ex is nose light already which is fun at first for riding wheelies and stuff for mxing which I myself will be doing this summer it will cause problems off the starting line and possibly how it handles(if you went forward on the front only.) But some people such as Allen Knowles for CTracing think that if you do one, you should do the other so you keep the weight bias the same, but then you have a longer quad which I realize would only be 2.25 inches longer but still your turning radius is going to be longer.(turning in bigger circles). So I myself have chosen to go +3 on front with no forwardness and a +1.25 on the rear. I haven't installed either yet so I can't tell you how it handles yet. Just dont forget if you do a longer swingarm you SHOULD get your rear shock revalved so it handles properly with the extra leverage you've created with the swingarm. Hope I've been of some help, I'm sure the rest of the guys on here will give plenty of input. Good luck!

ROGERS
04-27-2003, 03:04 PM
If your clutch slips as bad as mine you won't notice any problems! I can nail the throttle off the line and not get the front end up in the air. It is like feathering the clutch with out having to work the lever! :blah

Fast400exRacer
04-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Wow, sounds bad. I wouldnt advise riding like that very much until you get it fixed, cuz that will put a lot of clutch fibers in your oil, and thats no good.