PDA

View Full Version : K&N Filter and jet worth the $$$

Wheelie
08-07-2001, 09:20 AM
Is the K&N ATV Jet kit and Filter worth the money, or should I go buy the pilot and main jet I need from the local Honda dealer?

Right now I am running a modified airbox and modified stock air filter, White Bros E-Series Slip on, lowered the clip one notch on the pilot needle, and a 160 main. Thanks for your help

08-07-2001, 09:38 AM
Yes it's worth the money.,...go out to k&N webpage and read up on there R&D department and check out the dynocharts...

jcv400ex
08-07-2001, 10:34 AM
NO!!! Stay away from K & N! The power up kit is not even close to being worth it! I have the exact same setup as my neighbor (White brothers E series, modded airbox) and i was about a half a tire ahead of him with the jet kit. And we're within 20lbs of each other too. Just keep your current setup, and spend the money somewhere else.

08-07-2001, 10:44 AM
If a jet kit is not properly installed and not tweaked to perfection then yes it won't do you any good..:cool:

A jet kit will also make the "Oh so hard to start 400ex" much easier,,,at any time of the year I can pump the gas 3 or 4 times hit the start button,,and she fires right up...before the jet kit it was a nightmare to get started,,,just my 2 cents..:D

inacoma91
08-07-2001, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Rico
If a jet kit is not properly installed and not tweaked to perfection then yes it won't do you any good..:cool:

A jet kit will also make the "Oh so hard to start 400ex" much easier,,,at any time of the year I can pump the gas 3 or 4 times hit the start button,,and she fires right up...before the jet kit it was a nightmare to get started,,,just my 2 cents..:D

Yep I would have to agree with Rico here. I could feel a big difference after i put the jet kit in and the Pro circut on. I didnt quite have it right at the start but still when it was not running quite right it was still fast. After tweaking with it for a couple of hrs it was running good.........real good:devil

andrew

Razorback
08-07-2001, 11:19 AM
If you don't want to spend the money AND you know what size jets you want, it's probably cheaper to buy the individual jets. They are only a few bucks a piece. I rejetted for about $8 instead of the $50 or so that the jet kit costs. JMO.

08-07-2001, 12:21 PM
But here's what most people don' t realize is the jet kit comes with a new honed needle ( not the same size or shaped needle as the stocker) this is were most of the performance comes from not the 10 jets that gets shipped with it...this needle allows for a more effecient flow of gas which means a more effecient working carb...the money for a K&N powerkit is expensive but most of it is not for the products but for the R&D department that test and makes these kits,,the money pays a guy's salary in a white lab suit that developes kits for all carbs not just quads and for the hours he spends testing to make sure what he's developed really works...Why do almost all pro's run a dynojet kit in their bikes???? Because it's a fact that a K&N/dynojet kit will make a motor more gas effecient which means more power,, hands down..;)

Razorback
08-07-2001, 12:46 PM
Point well taken Rico. I was just making the observation as an option. The cost may or may not be an issue, and for many people, such as myself, using the stock needle works fine. But...I don't race, so I would obviously use a jet kit to get the best performance.

08-07-2001, 12:55 PM
Yeah it's not a must,,,its just a must for those of us that have plenty of money to spend and hungry for all the power we can get,,:D

08-07-2001, 01:12 PM
yah its worth it u just have to install it correctly

jcv400ex
08-07-2001, 01:26 PM
I spent a friday night, and a Saturday morning and afternoon, and 4 plugs installing the jet kit. It was dialed in. I noticed better throttle response, but it def. wasn't worth the $50.
I've since went back to stock needle on the second notch from the top , 160 main, and removed the choke. I upped the pilot jet a couple of sizes also. This gave me alot better throttle response, and it revs faster. Now I can beat the neighbor by 2 quad lengths.
It starts right away, and I don't drown plugs anymore.(from stock jetting) Stock, the 400 likes to eat plugs. Honda has it jetted up pretty rich from the factory to try and meet everybody's different elevations. And it'll start fine in the winter also. All i'll have to do is up the pilot jet a couple of more sizes. Laz out at GT Thunder has done testing with the dyno on this, and it adds more horsepower than the jet kit, and it's free.

08-07-2001, 01:50 PM
Adding what adds more horsepower,,,a pilot jet:confused:

Also,, a carb only works at peak performance if it's dialed in correctly,,,changing pilot, main, or raising the needle will only make it run worse if it's already running correctly...I'm not understanding what your saying here...

My bike runs perfect right now ,,if I adjust the airscrew, change any jets, or even take off the airbox lid it affects the way it runs..are you saying you can do these changes to your bike and it makes it run better...:confused:

Razorback
08-07-2001, 02:29 PM
Hey Rico,

I rejetted a while back, changing the main, pilot and raising the needle one notch. I've read many times about adjusting the airscrew that you just talked about. How should I gauge whether or not I should do this? If yes, then where should I start? I know you are supposed to turn it all the way one direction then back off x number of turns.

If it helps, I'm running a wb eSeries and have a 2 1/2 hole in my air box lid. Thanks in advance for your help.

jcv400ex
08-07-2001, 02:42 PM
I never said "adding"......... "Removing" the choke adds power. What I'm saying is that the jet kit is junk. And I removed my choke and rejetted and noticed a bigger difference in power versus the jet kit. It's an easy mod. and it's free. And to compansate for the lack of a choke, you need to beef up the pilot jet. Following me now?

Wheelie
08-07-2001, 11:19 PM
Is a K&N jet kit a Dyno jet kit, or K&N's own jet kit?

08-07-2001, 11:47 PM
The dyno jet kit is a good kit but I feel that it is money wasted, I purchased a kit and installed it and was not very happy with the resultsI have since switched to a 160 main, 42 pilot, raised the needle one notch, mixture screw at approx 2 turns out,choke plate and shaft removed and no airbox with a k&n filter, and yes I do know how to install the jet kit and I also gave it more than enough time and tuning to say its money wasted-but what works for me or you may not work for everybody else. If you want to get serious about your carb. put an fcr on your bike.

shadygrady3000
01-14-2009, 01:03 PM
WHAT SIZE JETS DID YOU USE?

jcv400ex
01-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Holy old thread batman! Dude, that was 7 years ago! I couldn't tell you what I used...