PDA

View Full Version : pep shocks...?

hondaidontknow2
04-25-2003, 08:38 PM
hey...ive got a few questions about PEP limited mass shocks!

my brother is running some on his bike...

and he lowered the ride height on them..by the collar and clip and moved them up to the last groove in the shocks body....now the springs move up and down about an 1in or 1.25in...

is this ok? or does he need to need to raise the ride height on them?

when he sits on it..and gets off..it makes like a grinding noise ever since he did this....is it ok to leave it like it is?

would this be ok to race MX..with the shocks like this? lol...new to shock area

04-26-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by hondaidontknow2
hey...ive got a few questions about PEP limited mass shocks!

my brother is running some on his bike...

and he lowered the ride height on them..by the collar and clip and moved them up to the last groove in the shocks body....now the springs move up and down about an 1in or 1.25in...

is this ok? or does he need to need to raise the ride height on them?

when he sits on it..and gets off..it makes like a grinding noise ever since he did this....is it ok to leave it like it is?

would this be ok to race MX..with the shocks like this? lol...new to shock area

what u pretty much did is make them a zero preload shock with out having the zps spring. you can buy the zps spring and put it in and then it might work bc the zps spring will keep them from rattling around. U need to have some tension on the springs so i dont think you should ride it like it is now. Call pep they could help you.

hondaidontknow2
04-26-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
what u pretty much did is make them a zero preload shock with out having the zps spring. you can buy the zps spring and put it in and then it might work bc the zps spring will keep them from rattling around. U need to have some tension on the springs so i dont think you should ride it like it is now. Call pep they could help you.

so...i CAN put the ZPS spring on?....or should i send it to PEP or Baldwin to have the ZPS spring added?

how much are the ZPS springs

QuadTrix6
04-26-2003, 05:55 AM
give them a call

AFTERMARKET
04-26-2003, 06:03 AM
PEP's Number in California is 909 590 4111

bongwater200
04-26-2003, 02:31 PM
so...i CAN put the ZPS spring on?....or should i send it to PEP or Baldwin to have the ZPS spring added?

how much are the ZPS springs

It depends on how old your shocks are. Older Limiteds have different bodies and cannot be converted to ZPS. If they are relatively new, they can be converted to ZPS for a couple hundred. The internals and the valving for the ZPS are different, so you will have to send them in to Baldwin or PEP to have them converted. Its not as simple as just adding ZPS springs.

hondaidontknow2
04-26-2003, 05:50 PM
"It depends on how old your shocks are. Older Limiteds have different bodies and cannot be converted to ZPS. If they are relatively new, they can be converted to ZPS for a couple hundred. The internals and the valving for the ZPS are different, so you will have to send them in to Baldwin or PEP to have them converted. Its not as simple as just adding ZPS springs."

Yes...Bongwater....These are brand new..bought in December 02..and got in March 03....

should i just get them converted? or will the LTD Mass be good for mx

04-27-2003, 01:48 AM
i think u should have kept them the way they were unless u werent happy. if u would like u can send them back to get converted but i dunno if u wanna wait again

bongwater200
04-27-2003, 04:16 AM

Yes...Bongwater....These are brand new..bought in December 02..and got in March 03....

should i just get them converted? or will the LTD Mass be good for mx

Limited Mass are great shocks for motocross. They soak up big hits better than anything else I have ever ridden. They are not as plush on the small, choppy bumps as ZPS because you don't have the 3" or so of "spring free" travel on top. Another benefit of ZPS is that with the lower ride height, you can corner much better because of the lower center of gravity. They tend not to two-wheel in the corners as easily.

Either way, you should be able to convert your LTDs to ZPS, and the stock 400EX ZPS conversion is also very good from what I hear, so you're sitting pretty good no matter what you do.

Oh.... and by the way, the wait to have your LTDs converted to ZPS would not be nearly as long as the wait to have new ZPS built. Maybe 2-3 weeks?

hondaidontknow2
04-27-2003, 08:21 AM
Thanks...BongWater..and QuadMX18...

everyone helped alot...i appreciate it..

since i just ordered the LTD Mass, i think ill just leave them the way they are now for a little while longer!