PDA

View Full Version : Best Pit Pup!!!

400grl
04-25-2003, 07:33 AM
Just gathering facts - I can't get one for a while, but I plan on getting a pooch when I get my house......want a good "pit" dog, good with kids, but will protect my stuff - good at the track, because it's going to be there a lot....what do you guys consider to be good breeds for this type of "job"? I'm thinking Staffordshire Terrier (pit bull), Rottie, or wiener dog (j/k on the weenie dog, but why do I see so many of those things at that tracks???);) :p Nothing spazzy like a Lab......nothing too high maintenance like an Aussie or something......just a good all around kid/guard/pit dog!:D

racerx573
04-25-2003, 07:37 AM
How bout a beagle? I have a beagle/mix mut and she loves the races, and quads, she'll hop up on the quad and be ready to ride before me!! I've had her since I was 7 and she's the best dog ever. Also have a basset hound, but he's just pretty retarded looking and acting...haha.

Honda4trax250x
04-25-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by racerx573
Also have a basset hound, but he's just pretty retarded looking and acting...haha.

hahaha lmfao

MSL
04-25-2003, 07:52 AM
check into your home owners insurance before getting a PitBull..

JHF219
04-25-2003, 07:57 AM
look at my thread here:http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55761

That is the pup i just got on monday to go to the track with me !!

04-25-2003, 08:01 AM
Get you a genuine red bone coon hound. I've had "Red" now for a few years and he is one of the most faitful and mellow dogs I've ever seen until he gets a sent of a you-know-what. Then he's all busines and off like litening. If you don't wanna dog for hunting, you can usually find somebody to give you one, cause most hunting dogs that don't hunt get put down cause they ain't worth feeding. See, you'll be doing the pooch a favor, too.

400grl
04-25-2003, 08:50 AM
OOOOOooooohhh....that pic of your rottie is sooooo cuuuute! :) I love Rotties - I had a boyfriend that had the coolest Rottie, and ever since then I've always liked them. They are cool family dogs and great with kids - the only thing is they are hella expensive. I was thinking Staffordshire because they are a little smaller but just as protective.....and a lot cheaper. I didn't know home-owner's insurance had any say in what breed of dog you had! I'll have to check into that.......

TheChknhwk
04-25-2003, 08:57 AM
I had a redbone, you better have that mofo on a leash if you let it out side cause it's huntin'. Mine took off out of the kennel one day when I let it out while cutting grass & was never seen again. It was either shot for running deer or someone stole it. On the other hand, I have an American Mastiff, which is a great dog, very docile & mellow, but also very protective of it's loved ones & property. I think I will get her bred in 6 months if anyone is interested. Here is a puppy pic...

Guy400
04-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Corry, I had a Staffordshire Terrier and they're considered to be in the same family as the Pit Bull Terrier. The laws differ from state-to-state and insurance company to insurance company but definitely look into it. If the dog would happen to bite someone and your insurance company doesn't know you owned a "pit bull" they could drop your coverage and if they do know ahead of time they may raise your premiums or force you to carry additional insurance. We had our Staffordshire before the big pit bull scare really started and insurance wasn't mandatory on them but it is now and because of that we'd never have one again. It's too bad because they are excellent dogs but they've received a bad rap. Do call your insurance company before purchasing one though just to be safe. Here's my dad sometime in the late-80's with our Staff...

spincr4hire
04-25-2003, 08:59 AM
My thug neighbors just bought a pit, the owners are complete morons. They leave him tied up all day long. The other day, they left their bedroom window open with the shades down. The pit jumped on his dog house and ripped the shades out thru the window and was eating on them all afternoon...:p

CBW
04-25-2003, 09:13 AM
Well as far as a guard dog goes.......i dont know how well my little boston would do......i didnt get him for that reason........
But he will play and fetch just about anything , he is GREAT with the kids.......my youngest can take bones right out of the dogs mouth,,,,,,yeah i wouldnt do it either,,,,but the dog doesnt even say a word,,just looks at him.

He is a great pit dog,,,,can run faster than my sons kfx80 with me on it,,,,,,,,loves the races.......goes with me every where everyday.......

He is a regular little buddy......

but you obviously are looking for a larger more intimidating dog.......just had to throw in my 2 cents about my little guy.......:D

Guy400
04-25-2003, 09:17 AM
Chris, Boston Terriers are great dogs. My grandparents had one and it's going to be my next dog. In fact, my wife and I are looking for them right now. A local vet breeds them but he doesn't plan on having another litter until later in the summer:(

RuffRyder400ex
04-25-2003, 09:20 AM
i think a german shepard would be great. i know many people who have them and they are graet with family and friends people who they know. and will not let any people harm them. they are very protective and loving.

400grl
04-25-2003, 09:20 AM
What a cutie! I like those dogs - I had a pug for 13 years when i was younger.....coolest little dog - she would do anything and go anywhere.....snored louder than anything I've ever heard, but she was a good dog! I'm considering a smaller dog, too.....wouldn't rule that part out completely. I see those little mini dobies around our track, too.....

YLW400
04-25-2003, 09:21 AM
We are getting an "English Lab" They are supposed to be more mellow then the traditional lab. They are also shorter with a big ol' block head. I dont think you can ask for a better "family" dog then a lab.

Tommy 17
04-25-2003, 09:25 AM
chris that dog looks like its sayin wow whats this retard doin with a flash light thing in my face:huh

i have a golden retriever and its a aweosme dog... very nice and friendly with kids... won't hurt a fly no matter what i do to it... its pretty big 2... but when another dog walks into my yard it leaves in blood... she will kill any dog or animal in my yard besides a human if she gets her way with it...

shes also gun shy and scared to hunt haha

toby400ex
04-25-2003, 09:28 AM
labradors (sp?) are good for everything:p

CBW
04-25-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
chris that dog looks like its sayin wow whats this retard doin with a flash light thing in my face:huh

Yeah he does that alot..........

04-25-2003, 09:37 AM
My sister has a chawawa that she took to her boyfriends snocross/ice oval races and it did fine, its a real small one with hairy ears.. she just had it in her jacket the whole time.. They would protect your stuff really good.. seriously they get Vicious!!:scary: :scary: :scary: .. hers doesnt but i have seen some mean ones that scared me:ermm: :D

Tommy 17
04-25-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by bobby88
seriously they get Vicious!!:scary: :scary: :scary: ..

those lil dogs do scare me... ive been chased by them quite a few times...

worst one of them all was my cuzs doberment pincher (sp?) in miami... he has the dog trained to attack people who break into his business... well i walked in the door not known and it came after me... my dad had to grab it by the collar and choke it till he came in... it was gonna eat me alive i thought....

when i get older i wanna get a great dane... only problme is feedin the things... htey eat so much everyday...

bsb64
04-25-2003, 10:44 AM
English Mastiff, the Lion of Dogs....

Mine has no interest in running away

Does not let adults on property unless I say so

Kids can come and go as they please

Low energy dog, won't drive ya nuts bouncing off the walls.

Mine looks like this

http://www.mastiff.de/

batgeek
04-25-2003, 10:59 AM
Great Dane, any Mastiff are my first choices....just for the intimidation factor.

if yer looking to get something VERY original, look into the Dogo Argentino. This dog was the product of the cross breeding among Mastiffs, Bulldogs and Bull Terriers bought to America by the colonists. To this they added Boxer, English Pointer, Bull Terrier, Old English Bulldog, Mastiff, Dogue De Bordeaux, Harlequin Great Dane, Pyrenean Mastiff and Irish Wolfhound.

large dog, very loyal, very protective of his family. think of a Great Dane sized pit bull with a great disposition.

bsb64
04-25-2003, 01:34 PM
Batgeek, how heavy are they, never heard of them. You know of any websites?

batgeek
04-25-2003, 01:57 PM
the Dogo can be anywhere from 75lbs to 100lbs.

here's a link to get ya started:
Dogo Argentino (http://www.dogo-argentino.com/)

they are great dogs. depending on how much cash i have, if i dont get a Dane i WILL be getting a Dogo. just bought a house so my finances are screwy :)

bsb64
04-25-2003, 02:02 PM
Batgeek cool dog! Looks a lot like the Cane Corso, take a look at them. They are awesome, a little too fierce for me, as I have 4 kids.

http://www.pinnaclecanecorso.com/general.htm

batgeek
04-25-2003, 02:06 PM
ahhh yes the Corso!

great dog...alot more mastiff in that one. good brute force dog :)

i like the Dogo due to its agility and intelligence. Dogos do very well in Schutzhund competitions.

i need to get a dog before my roomie moves out and takes his with him :(

bluebaron
04-25-2003, 03:24 PM
german shepard:devil

LilGuyOn400ex
04-25-2003, 03:28 PM
ive got a rott... shes an awesome dog... but she gets eatin by my other dog, a full grown 2.8 pound mini mini yorkshire terrier. Not just 1 mini but a mini mini lol shes vicious too she will eat my rott for breakfast, well maybe not "eat" her but she trys to but i dont think shes all there she must be crazy to mess with a 100 lb rott when shes not even 3 pounds:D

Mx300exRyder
04-25-2003, 04:38 PM
I have a rott and a weenie dog, my rott is scared of my weenie dog. And the only time they are mean is when somebody they dont know comes in the yard or somebody touches me (I have to keep them out side when my girlfriend comes over).

blondie69
04-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Great Danes r good if u want a Gental Giant

Bull Massiffs....i dunno, i haven't had many, only 1. but he's the nicest dog ever. the worst he ever hurt me was when i was like 11 and he was a puppy (well....80-100 pds of puppy, lol) i was on ice and he jumped on my back while he was playin and knocked me to the ground, lol. but for a track....whenever i used to take my quad out jus runnin round on a back road behind my house he would keep right up w/ me but then sometimes if i slowed down a bit he would get right in front of the quad and i would scream cuz i didn't wanna hit him

Jack Russels are extremly hyper and would be good for a track except i would be scared i would run it over. cuz when i had a quad and i took it out my jack russel kept tryin to bite the tires n and hes really yappidy and he bites me sometimes....thats only if me n dad r teasin him tho:p

Fast61Falcon2
04-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
How bout a beagle? I have a beagle/mix mut and she loves the races, and quads, she'll hop up on the quad and be ready to ride before me!! I've had her since I was 7 and she's the best dog ever. Also have a basset hound, but he's just pretty retarded looking and acting...haha.

We have a beagle also, she just sniffs everything and wags her tail at every stranger that walks past. Not a very good watch dog :D Hoping one day (once we get a bigger house/yard) we will get a boxer.

Does anyone know if a boxer is a good dog with kids and other dogs not the same breed?

stocktires
04-25-2003, 05:16 PM
Golden Retrievers are awesome, I wish we had one. Smart as can be.

I've got a Jack-Russel terrier (zoe; female). She's an awesome dog. Loves to fetch and rassel. One could be easily taught to be a good lil gaurd dog and they always bark when a stranger is close. They're awesome with kids (I got her when I was 8 i believe) too.
The only problem with jack russels is that you need to live on a decent amount of land (they love to chase squirles, lizzards, ect like any other terrier).

Glow Plug
04-25-2003, 05:23 PM
jack russel? we've got one there awsome dog's he goes to bark at the hore for some reason lol and will always run down the driveway when somebody comes into the yard even if it's us, oh yeah likes attention :)

blondie69
04-26-2003, 01:24 AM
our jack russel (His name is jake. he's turnin 5 this yr) if u come in the house he barks, leavin the house he'll run and jump against the door & slams it and barks. if u try to ride the ride on lawn mower...he's out there tryin to bite the wheels...heck...tryin to ride anything w/ wheels he'll try to attack it. but ya, if u have one, u need quite a bit of yard, u can't really live in the city and have one.

but i dunno if a jack russel is the best "guard dog" they bark n bark n bark if someone comes and may bite. but if someone was gonna break in....i'd think they would jus kick the lil dog acrossed the room. but whenever ppls come to my house my bull massiff will be out side and the ppls will be scared to get outa the car, but then i say he won't hurt u, and all he does is sit on their foot maybe. and then they laff. then my J.R comes out side yappin its head off and they get right back in their car again. its funny:p

Leo
04-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Far more important than the breed of the dog, is the breeder of the dog...

To many are out there to make a quick $$, and don't give a damn about much else.

When your callling around, and you find a breeder that asks YOU more questions then you ask them, then your onto something. A good breeder will go out of the way to make sure that there dogs are going to a good home.

FWIW if you shopped around a bit, found a good breeder with some quality labs your opinion would change dramatically.. A well bred lab is not a 'spas' they are a joy to have around. Our newest family member (yellow lab) is probably one of the most loyal / quickest learning dog's I've ever seen. He had sit/stay down the second day we had him home.. There are times when I think that he's smarter than I am :D. Probably not the best for protection he has a deep menacing bark, but once your through the door he's more apt to lick you to death than anything else. I have absolutely no worries about him around kids though.

If you want a dog for protection, buy a Ruger. Always by your side, and their bite matches their bark. ;)

But seriously, shop around for a good breeder, don't be swayed by price.. When you buy a cheap dog from an poor breeder, your destroying the breed (whatever breed it may be).

Leo

Giz400ex
04-26-2003, 02:02 AM
WOW, Leo!! Very well put and very true!!! My folks bought there first dog about 7 years ago and bought there dog from a breeder and she did exactly what Leo said. She asked us alot of questions and so did we. They bought 2 Lhasa Apso, one for them and my sister bought the other one. It was the best thing that they did and actually gave our family a huge perk-up. My sister's dog is kinda psycho but my parents dog is like.......human but can't talk. We've been experimenting lately with my parents dog because we just had our son like 1 month ago and we've been bringing him over to get use to the baby. Still early yet but I'm pretty sure he'll be ok down the road. Question, has anybody had a dog that was REALLY protective of a baby?? I just knew of 1 dog that was really protective and if you went near the baby, the dog would freak out and start growling at ya. Anybody else heard of this??

bsb64
04-26-2003, 02:51 AM
Giz yes, I had a Rot/lab mix when my first kid was born. He was a nutty but loyal dog. While my wife was pregnant he used to put his head on her stomach, like he knew the baby was in there.

Anyway, one day we were sitting in the grass at a public park. My son was a couple months old. My dog was roaming around a little distance away. We then saw a Doberman Pincsher doing that "schazthund"? training. Were the guys give commands in German and the dog abeys like a soldier. I called the Dobi over when he got close. As he got about 5 feet away from my wife and kid I heard a sound of thumping feet. My dog was in a full sprint, lept at the dobi, grabbed it around the neck in mid air, and they both rolled about 3 times. They got up and my dog proceeded to take the Dobi apart. If I didn't intervene I think he would have killed that Dobi. True story......

Also, my English Mastiff wouldn't let anyone near my 2 younger kids until they were about 3 years old. Dogs have a pack mentality. In their mind they are the same as you and your family.

blondie69
04-26-2003, 02:55 AM
i dunno too much about protecting babys/kids but my bull massiff gets annoying cuz if my friends come out to visit me and were in the yard my bull massiff will stand right in front me me makin sure no one gets to close. if i try to get around him he'll follow me and when i stop he'll get right back in front, its annoyin as heck sometimes:scary: lol

jaywoodsrider
04-26-2003, 07:16 AM
Iv'e always wanted a jack russell terrier, they're cool dogs, but i got a german shorthair. She's a good dog, barks whenever somebody come to our house, but won't hurt a thing.

300EXrider02
04-26-2003, 08:36 AM
golden retriever:D

still a pup

-=Skot=-
04-26-2003, 12:02 PM
here's my Am Staff at 8 months, i love her to death, by the way they are not pitt bulls, although they are always mistaken for a Pit thats why they get the reputation. Just make sure you don't get a backyard breed, check around for a respectable breeder.

400grl
04-26-2003, 02:54 PM
What a sweetie! I love Staffie's heads - they have such a broad face and they just look smart! Yeah - I know they aren't Pits, I just said that because most people don't know what a Stafford is.....

That Dogo is really interesting.....I am going to check that breed out a little more - sounds like the best of a bunch of breeds.....

Although - honestly - it's so hard to think of spending money on a dog when there are so many dogs in shelters that need homes...it's just harder to take the chance on a dog you don't know when you have kiddos, ya know? A little more at stake if you make a wrong choice.....

Great input, BTW - this is cool!!!!

AFTERMARKET
04-26-2003, 05:40 PM
I Have a Pitbull with a little Ridgeback in him. So when he gets Mad the hair on the ridge of his back stands up! My dog is very Protective A Pit is bad news around other strange dogs. Dont get me wrong I love my Pit but they are not frendly dogs

-=Skot=-
04-26-2003, 06:40 PM
American Staffordshire Terriors are also very proctective dogs but mine and a few other people's i know really like kids, and play well with them. Go to http://www.amstaff.ws/ and read up a little before making your choice because the are very energetic extreamly strong for their size, and they also have a very big prey drive.

AFTERMARKET
04-26-2003, 06:48 PM
My dog loves kids also he likes to run and chase them because they are FAST and love to run!
But it dosent look good a pitbull chaseing kids in the park so I have to keep him close :(

DESDAK4
04-26-2003, 07:16 PM
I have looked at this a ton lately and found out that really the Am Staff is nothing more than a Pit off breed to try and get them in the AKC. They behave exactly the same and I would not allow one near my family as I have been attacked by dogs before and want nothing to do with some of the most aggresive out there.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

bsb64
04-27-2003, 03:33 AM
I don't get the whole hysteria about pit bulls. Its really not that great of a dog IMO. What do they weigh 60/70lbs, at best? Yah, I know about the super locking jaw power, yada yada yada. All that means is the dog will have to kill someone to protect you and that you will not be able to get its jaw unlocked if it picks the wrong target. Too many youngins are victims of this whole Pit Bull craze in my neck of the woods.

From my experience they often come from questionable backyard breeders. Often, I see people with Pits and wonder if they have any idea what kind of dog they own.

All of the brothers around here walk around with pits, personally if one comes on my property I'll shoot the little buzzsaw, after I let my mastiff take it apart. Those little pit's mouths are so small they'd have a heck of a time getting their mouth around a mastiff's leg, never mind his neck, LOL.

AFTERMARKET
04-27-2003, 06:53 AM
My pit is 105 lbs But he has a smidge of ridgeback. When he brings me a toy I Can't see it iin his mouth!

bsb64
04-27-2003, 01:20 PM
Whats a smidge? 1/4,1/8, 1/16?

ralph2
04-27-2003, 01:51 PM
whats wrong with labs?

400grl
04-27-2003, 02:01 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with labs....they are a beautiful dog - the only experience I have had with them has been from my friends' dogs, though....and they have all been exremely energetic when they were young - not calming down until about 3 years of age. These have all been black labs, though - I found a killer little yellow lab pup once on the freeway that I saved and gave to my brother (I couldn't keep him) - it was the best dog I've probably ever seen. Awesome with the kids - excellent waterdog/lifesaver - great watchdog - sweet and smart. Not all heiper like most labs I had known. So....I know labs are good family dogs and everything, but I just haven't seen them at their best.

Actually - I think it's cool that there are so many different breeds of dog out there - because everyone is looking for something a little different - this way there is a dog out there for every type of personality and situation - it's just a matter of doing your homework and finding that right match! (this sounds like the "dating game"! - lol!!)

This is all good input - thanks everyone!!!

yellowex01
04-27-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by -=Skot=-
here's my Am Staff at 8 months, i love her to death, by the way they are not pitt bulls, although they are always mistaken for a Pit thats why they get the reputation. Just make sure you don't get a backyard breed, check around for a respectable breeder.

But they are still considered in the pit family. So by law around here the time the take their first breath, they are considered viscious.:( I have raised more pits and staffs than I no what to do with. I used the staffs for show dogs and the pits for pulling dogs. They can pull they house off the foundation. There was one from Pa years back that weighed around 65lbs, and pulled over 2,000lbs. Its a shame that the owners are whats causing all the bad press on ANY breed. I got rid of all mine cause of the insurance. I had 300,000 on each one, and very time one of them made the headlines the insurance company used it as an excuse to raise the rates. I have a rottie now, but if I had a choice it would be a pit. My rottie wont let anyone near my kids or wife. Its funny I have a baby monitor in my garage for anti theft. I keep the monitor closer to the dog :) You can hear the mosquitos in the summertime.. I would like to see someone trying to break in, by the time they shut their truck door and headed down the drive, my rottie would already be outside waiting.:)

yellowex01
04-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by bsb64
I don't get the whole hysteria about pit bulls. Its really not that great of a dog IMO. What do they weigh 60/70lbs, at best? Yah, I know about the super locking jaw power, yada yada yada. All that means is the dog will have to kill someone to protect you and that you will not be able to get its jaw unlocked if it picks the wrong target. Too many youngins are victims of this whole Pit Bull craze in my neck of the woods.

Very untrue, pits jaws dont lock, they just have tremendous stength.

From my experience they often come from questionable backyard breeders. Often, I see people with Pits and wonder if they have any idea what kind of dog they own.

Very true.:)

All of the brothers around here walk around with pits, personally if one comes on my property I'll shoot the little buzzsaw, after I let my mastiff take it apart. Those little pit's mouths are so small they'd have a heck of a time getting their mouth around a mastiff's leg, never mind his neck, LOL.

You would have to shoot it, cuz a good game pit would dismantle your big mastiff in minutes. Your forgetting one thing. a pits tolerance for pain in unbelievable. Your doesnt. Not ragging on your pooch, but unless your around pits all your life you really dont know what they can do.

yellowex01
04-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by AFTERMARKET
I Have a Pitbull with a little Ridgeback in him. So when he gets Mad the hair on the ridge of his back stands up! My dog is very Protective A Pit is bad news around other strange dogs. Dont get me wrong I love my Pit but they are not frendly dogs

Which is it, they are not friendly or it loves to chase kids?:). You cant group all dogs of a breed and label them bad. Sure there are bad dogs in every breed, but dont label them all. Thats as bad as tree huggers labeling all of us quad riders and nothing but environment destroying scum. :)

ralph2
04-27-2003, 02:43 PM
well just for the heck of it my lab is great around

our horse and horses at the stalls and it follows nicely
doesnt chace the quad
gets the newspaper from the driveway
will pick up any object if u pint at it and say "get the remote":huh
little roudy as a pup
calm now at 1 1/2 old
great around the cats
very protective to its owners
very playfull
very friendly around other dogs and other beings...

sounds like u cant go wrong

bsb64
05-08-2003, 12:10 PM
>>>You would have to shoot it, cuz a good game pit would dismantle your big mastiff in minutes. Your forgetting one thing. a pits tolerance for pain in unbelievable. Your doesnt. Not ragging on your pooch, but unless your around pits all your life you really dont know what they can do.<<<<

Please....all dogs have a high threashhold for pain. Do you have even a modest understanding of physics? 200 pounds vs 50? You can go ahead and believe the hype. BTW, Mastiffs were used in bear baiting until this century. For the most part, Pits are nothing more than a fashion accessory for folks who want to look "ghetto". Oh, I forgot they are also good at ****ing babies too. A good German Shepard or Rott will destroy a pit, never mind what a Mastiff would do to one.

Guy400
05-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Please....all dogs have a high threashhold for pain. Do you have even a modest understanding of physics? 200 pounds vs 50? You can go ahead and believe the hype. BTW, Mastiffs were used in bear baiting until this century. For the most part, Pits are nothing more than a fashion accessory for folks who want to look "ghetto". Oh, I forgot they are also good at ****ing babies too. A good German Shepard or Rott will destroy a pit, never mind what a Mastiff would do to one. My grandfather's Pit Bull was 110lbs. and it wasn't a fashion statement. It was raised properly and wasn't bred to fight. It had no additional aggressive tendancies than any other dog might have. It was protective of it's owner but wasn't some rabid animal biting at anything that came near it. I think you've watched too many CNN documentaries. I think dog fighting is cruel and inhumane to canines but there's a reason why the Pit Bull wins repeatedly--it's the meanest and toughest. This isn't meant to be a "my dad can kick your dad's ***" thread but to say the Pit Bull is all hype is laughable. If the Pit Bull was a fashion accessory than we'd see German Shepard's, Rottweiler's and Bull Mastiff's winning these dog fights. Guess what? They don't.

The Pit Bull got a bad rap because of the strength of it's bite. Two tidbits of information: 1.)The American Pit Bull Terrier has the strongest bite of any land mammal per square inch, no other dog comes close, and 2.)Which dog tends to bite first when provoked? A poodle or a Pit Bull? The poodle. The trouble is the poodle bite victims don't reach the national news because their bite just breaks the skin. When a Pit Bull bites bones get broken.

And the argument of a dogs weight dictating the outcome of a fight is ridiculous. So apparently Bruce Lee would have no chance against John Candy in a fight or do you think training would have a bigger role to play than weight?

remlapr
05-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Get a Jack Russell! My sister breeds the short hair "shorties". My avatar is from her last litter, but they are all sold now :( However, my sister does have a farm that they all can run on. They are awsome dogs, very intelligent.

Dirt
05-08-2003, 02:43 PM
From my experience Pits are awsome dogs, very very friendly and extremely loyal and loving to a "good" owner. Only problem with a pit, if it ever gets into a fight it Will win. And when a retriever, poodle or any other starts the fight and the pit finishes it, the pit will get the blame....Not saying Pits are best, or that you should get one or anything.....

Bretmd94
05-08-2003, 04:49 PM
You cant beat a basset. And they dont look retarded. They are by far the best look dogs out there. I had one but he died a couple months ago. Now we just got a 6 month old puppy. I would add a pic but its too big. Can some one resize?

-=Skot=-
05-08-2003, 06:18 PM
>>>You would have to shoot it, cuz a good game pit would dismantle your big mastiff in minutes. Your forgetting one thing. a pits tolerance for pain in unbelievable. Your doesnt. Not ragging on your pooch, but unless your around pits all your life you really dont know what they can do.<<<<

Please....all dogs have a high threashhold for pain. Do you have even a modest understanding of physics? 200 pounds vs 50? You can go ahead and believe the hype. BTW, Mastiffs were used in bear baiting until this century. For the most part, Pits are nothing more than a fashion accessory for folks who want to look "ghetto". Oh, I forgot they are also good at ****ing babies too. A good German Shepard or Rott will destroy a pit, never mind what a Mastiff would do to one. you really should do some research. you are exactly the type of person that should never own a pitt or staff. and just cause you saw a pitt in some rap video doesen't mean all their owners want to look "ghetto":rolleyes:

Got Huevos?
05-09-2003, 12:36 AM
i agree with him. my first pitbull i got was when i was 1. it baby sat me in the backyard. it never once bit me,it never even seemd like it would. to everyone in our house it was like that. even my cousins. think by the time i was 4 it was full grown and at n e time could have tackles me and mangles the crap outta me and killed me. but it never did. he was the best dog i have and will ever own. but sadly he died when i was 14. of old age of course. u just need to spend time with it. and make sure it knows u and n e one it wil come inconctact with. BSB64, your completly full of BS. unless u have owned a Pitbull and know for a fact it will do that dont try and touch on a subject which u dont know about. the only time my pitbull attack me was when i was 5 and it was wanting to play so it jumped me and licked me all over my face. besides me being startled he didn't do n e thing else.my pit was a bigger sized one who knew he was stronger.but yet he never even once tried to hurt me or n e of my family.and i lived in a 1 bedroom house with 9 ppl.inculding my 3 cousins which came over often.

yellowex01
05-09-2003, 12:41 AM

Please....all dogs have a high threashhold for pain. Do you have even a modest understanding of physics? 200 pounds vs 50? You can go ahead and believe the hype. BTW, Mastiffs were used in bear baiting until this century. For the most part, Pits are nothing more than a fashion accessory for folks who want to look "ghetto". Oh, I forgot they are also good at ****ing babies too. A good German Shepard or Rott will destroy a pit, never mind what a Mastiff would do to one.

Golly Beave, I guess my experience in raising pits for a long time doesnt account for much. Well seeing I dont know as much as I thought you are just gonna have to school me on physics there brainiac. Well lets see, your 200 pound mastiff is standing there and my 50 pit walks up to your ****er. Going by your physics, my pits mouth is just about inline with your dogs throat, care to take a guess what its gonna bite? By the time your dog new what happened it would be on its side being strangled. And NO most dogs have a very low tolerance for pain.. I gather from one of your other posts that you dont know much about the breed. " pits jaws lock". Give me a break, they dont lock they just bite very hard. I have a rottie now and it wouldnt stand a chance against a pit.

RAGE
05-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Lab dane mix....great with kids, big enough to scare the annoying people away but he has a problem with stealing my machine...

http://www.nyriders.com/images/personal/brut.jpghttp://www.nyriders.com/images/personal/brut2.jpg

NTPracing22
05-09-2003, 01:38 AM
get a st. :D

NTPracing22
05-09-2003, 01:39 AM
and another, his name is zorro

02exchic
05-09-2003, 04:42 AM
I would have to agree with CBW....bostons are pretty cool! My husband and I have one and we also have a boston/boxer mix. Both are very cool dogs and love to go riding with us!

Good luck with your decision! :D

-=Skot=-
05-09-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by yellowex01
Golly Beave, I guess my experience in raising pits for a long time doesnt account for much. Well seeing I dont know as much as I thought you are just gonna have to school me on physics there brainiac. Well lets see, your 200 pound mastiff is standing there and my 50 pit walks up to your ****er. Going by your physics, my pits mouth is just about inline with your dogs throat, care to take a guess what its gonna bite? By the time your dog new what happened it would be on its side being strangled. And NO most dogs have a very low tolerance for pain.. I gather from one of your other posts that you dont know much about the breed. " pits jaws lock". Give me a break, they dont lock they just bite very hard. I have a rottie now and it wouldnt stand a chance against a pit. :D agreed 100%

yamahaCal
05-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Doberman. I have 2 females and the are really good dogs. They are really nice and unless some one knows them they are not comming in my house when these girl go runnin to the door. The younger of the two is the size of a medium male these dogs sound like they will tear you apart. I grew up around dobbies. They are really cool with kids. The things is, if you know how to raise a dog and you have it from the time its a pup it will turn out to be how ever you want it to. It is all in how you raise them. I wouldn't get their ears doc'ed no matter the breed. Their ears are real soft and nice to bet =) but do doc the tails they are like whips.

You cannot make a bad choice unless it is a rat dog. I have never met a rat dog I liked. They are worse than cats (no offence to cat owners :huh )

bsb64
05-09-2003, 12:51 PM
I keep hearing about 100lb+ pit bulls. Funny thing is where I live I see them all over the place, I've seen thoudsands of them over the years. Never seen one over 70 lbs. Not once.

As for me watching CNN, wrong on that. I speak from experience. I attended a pit fight in Newark in the 80s. Wasn't impressed at all. In fact I saw a dog wimp out after taking relatively little abuse.

As for whoever said their pit would wrap his jaws around my dog's neck. Obviously you have never seen a real English Mastiff.
That is silly comment. It would be physically impossible for a pit mouth to get around more than a flap of skin. A properly bred male mastiff's neck should be about as big as a man's torso and all muscle.

Again, I see brothers (and white kids who wish they were brothers)walking around with their little pits. And where I live it is a fasion statement. Usually the dog is bought for the wrong reasons and ends up getting neglected.

Perhaps in other parts of the country these 100lb+ pits exist. I've never seen one, if anyone has a picture I'd like to see it. For the most part all I hear is a lot of hype, yada, yada, yada. Not trying to get in a pi$$ing contest, but thats how I see it.

honda400exrider
05-09-2003, 01:20 PM
My horse trainer has a blue heiler (sp?) and its such a nice dog. They are nice size, friendly, but protective when they need to be. Also a great looking dog. Good luck choosing!

yellowex01
05-09-2003, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bsb64
[B]I
As for whoever said their pit would wrap his jaws around my dog's neck. Obviously you have never seen a real English Mastiff.
That is silly comment. It would be physically impossible for a pit mouth to get around more than a flap of skin. A properly bred male mastiff's neck should be about as big as a man's torso and all muscle.
QUOTE]

Doesnt matter how big your dog's neck is, it still has a wind pipe pretty close the surface.:) Obviously you have never seen a REAL game pit. The one you saw is called a cure..

Guy400
05-09-2003, 05:15 PM
bsb64, I'm going to my grandparent's for Mother's Day. I'll be sure to get a pic of Spike (my grandfather's 110lb. Pit Bull). 100+lb. Pit Bulls exist, albeit rare, they do exist and I'll get a picture to prove it.

Leo
05-09-2003, 10:15 PM
dog fights? my dog can lick your dog?

bring your dog on over to my house.. all it's gotta do is growl / look crosseyed at me or my mutt's, and I'll feed it a 124gr gold dot @ about 1200 fps.. that'll slow it down. 30 lbs or 300 lbs, won't matter.

personally I wouldn't have a pit bull / rotty / shepard as a "family" dog.. never bred for it, or used for it (until relatively recently in the history of the breed).. kind of like using a knife as a hammer, or a 4x4 as an MX quad, get the right tool for the job.

not that it can't be done, as I'm sure people do it every day.. just not me.

ANY dog can turn mean, develop a bad attitude, etc.. big / small / mutt / pure bred / doesn't mattter.. I just don't care for dogs that are born/bred with an aggressive nature. 1000 years of instinct can overcome 3 years of training in a split second under the right circumstances. Although I'm sure that 99.9% of the aggressive dogs are perfectly harmless, and GREAT dogs, I'm just not up on taking the chance, I'd feel bad if my pet got a little to big for it's britches and I had to put it down.

oh, and anyone that makes a dog fight another dog should be thrown in the ring as a chew toy. anybody that watches a dog fight should get the same treatment. I've got no sympathy for people that abuse animals / people / etc.

Leo

Guy400
05-10-2003, 01:52 AM
A 110lb. Pit....

Got Huevos?
05-10-2003, 01:54 AM
all these ppl talking about pits and rottys saying there evil just to let u know this.and i will quote myself "As I Read Your Post I Get To Relize How Little You Know About A Dog.If You Have Never Owned That Particular Dog Do Not Try And Discuss It Or Its Natures" oh yeah and BSB as for CNN. one thing i have relized in my 15 years on this earth i already know never trust Television. i would assume u know that by now.

Ben
05-10-2003, 02:01 AM
That is one BIG pit!! :eek2:

400grl
05-10-2003, 03:59 AM
That's a huge Pit! One of the reasons I was looking at Staffie's was because they are a relatively small dog (compared to Rotties, Mastiffs, etc) but still get a lot of respect. Good "power to weight ratio"! LOL

There are just so many really cool breeds out there....going to be a tough decision....

wb300ex
05-10-2003, 04:01 AM
i have a mutt and she is pit and some other stuff... the only she guards is well nothing but she will "attack" u with her tongue if u walk in the house!! lol she is a good dog i love her.

SeaN

Leo
05-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Got Huevos?
all these ppl talking about pits and rottys saying there evil just to let u know this.and i will quote myself "As I Read Your Post I Get To Relize How Little You Know About A Dog.If You Have Never Owned That Particular Dog Do Not Try And Discuss It Or Its Natures" oh yeah and BSB as for CNN. one thing i have relized in my 15 years on this earth i already know never trust Television. i would assume u know that by now.

I know more than a 'little' about dogs son..

I know that most of a dog's general outlook on life and attitude comes from it's enviroment.

I also know that for the last several hundred years various breeds have been bred for specific purposes.

Trying to make a breed be something it's not, is like trying to put a round peg in a square hole.

Here's an idea, I think I'll try to use my Lab rabbit hunting, and my beagle to retreive.. NOT..

Several of my friends have had rotty's (from various breeders) and all but one have been forced to get rid of them due to over aggressiveness.. Personally I blame this on the fact that due to their "cool dog" status breeders crank them out for profit, with little attention to the quality of the dog, essentially destroying the breed.. The same thing that's happening to pits, labs, virtually all popular "bred" dogs. <see my previous post on breeders, etc.. in this thread>

As far as a specific example of a dog, it's impossible to say, their personalities are as different as peoples. But overall as a breed, dogs that are bred to be aggressive are, well, aggressive..

Take a breed that for the last 300 years or so was bred SPECIFICALLY for dog fighting, slap it in the wrong circumstances and you have a problem on your hand.

Leo

PS. Feel free to buy whatever dog you like, just do a little research on what your getting yourself into.. Nothing worse than that "cute" puppy getting dropped off at the pound when it hit's 80lbs and get's aggressive. It's not it's fault, it's what it's built to do. Better yet, stop by the pound find a nice mutt, and save him from the needle.

Oh yea, read up on the Pit's you know so much about;

http://www.realpitbull.com//history.html

RAGE
05-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Leo is right.. My wife is a Vet Tech so if you want to argue 15 or 50 it doesn't matter. SHe has seen more in 2 weeks then most any of us will see in a lifetime.

Red00Honda400EX
05-10-2003, 05:38 PM
:D http://www.thebestgen.com/images/MVC-003S.JPG

Got Huevos?
05-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Leo
I know more than a 'little' about dogs son..

I know that most of a dog's general outlook on life and attitude comes from it's enviroment.

I also know that for the last several hundred years various breeds have been bred for specific purposes.

Trying to make a breed be something it's not, is like trying to put a round peg in a square hole.

Here's an idea, I think I'll try to use my Lab rabbit hunting, and my beagle to retreive.. NOT..

Several of my friends have had rotty's (from various breeders) and all but one have been forced to get rid of them due to over aggressiveness.. Personally I blame this on the fact that due to their "cool dog" status breeders crank them out for profit, with little attention to the quality of the dog, essentially destroying the breed.. The same thing that's happening to pits, labs, virtually all popular "bred" dogs. <see my previous post on breeders, etc.. in this thread>

As far as a specific example of a dog, it's impossible to say, their personalities are as different as peoples. But overall as a breed, dogs that are bred to be aggressive are, well, aggressive..

Take a breed that for the last 300 years or so was bred SPECIFICALLY for dog fighting, slap it in the wrong circumstances and you have a problem on your hand.

Leo

PS. Feel free to buy whatever dog you like, just do a little research on what your getting yourself into.. Nothing worse than that "cute" puppy getting dropped off at the pound when it hit's 80lbs and get's aggressive. It's not it's fault, it's what it's built to do. Better yet, stop by the pound find a nice mutt, and save him from the needle.

Oh yea, read up on the Pit's you know so much about;

http://www.realpitbull.com//history.html

wow out of the many that have posted about ur idiocy about a breed and yet u reply to mine. do not try and judge a breed of dog until you have owned one. have u been bit by a pitbull? or a rotty? can u gurantee a pitbull or rotty will by eventually? can u read dogs minds? cuz i have hit my pitbull the only thing it did was try and move. same with my rotty. look at the name of your website. "RealPitbull" think do u not think there is some ppl out there cuz they were bit by a dawg and want to make a site against it becuz they are to childish and have hate that they want to stop everyone so they can get them to agree. get out of ur closed minded area and ur media following bullcrap.

SGA
05-11-2003, 05:46 AM
Well. I just wrote a long post about this, hit send, and it vanished!
I said I was walking through the pits last weekend, turned a corner around a camper and had a german sheppard lunge at me, not provoked or anything, just bam!. This was not a bluff, he was going for blood, the only thing that saved me was his chain. I would have given the owners a piece of my mind, but they were nowhere around.
Over protective dogs have no business being in the pits. There are lots of people coming and going, walking up to ask questions, admire your quad, etc. And dont say, if they see my dog next to my quad, they have no business going near my pit. Your dog may be lieing down behind something when they walk up to your quad. Leave the large over protective dogs at home.

SGA
05-11-2003, 05:58 AM
For the record, I am a dog lover. I always stop to pet a friendly dog. I am very careful around pits, dobermans, shepperds, chows, etc. Dont get me wrong, i have met many freindly pitbulls, etc, but I know what these breeds can do if they feel threatened. The ones that were not raised properly can turn on a dime and attack, thats just the way it is. They also have the power and size to do real damage. In general, comman sense tells me to steer clear of them, until I know they are friendly.

Leo
05-11-2003, 05:59 AM
400grl, I apoligize for hijacking your thread.. This will be my last reply on the whole subject.. Do your homework, and please buy responsibly from a reputable breeder, no matter which breed you find fit's your needs... I just need to clarify a few of the points I was trying to make to 'ole Huevos here and I'll let it drop.

Originally posted by Got Huevos?
wow out of the many that have posted about ur idiocy about a breed and yet u reply to mine. do not try and judge a breed of dog until you have owned one. have u been bit by a pitbull? or a rotty? can u gurantee a pitbull or rotty will by eventually? can u read dogs minds? cuz i have hit my pitbull the only thing it did was try and move. same with my rotty. look at the name of your website. "RealPitbull" think do u not think there is some ppl out there cuz they were bit by a dawg and want to make a site against it becuz they are to childish and have hate that they want to stop everyone so they can get them to agree. get out of ur closed minded area and ur media following bullcrap.

I don't want to stop anyone from having anything that they want, be it a dog, SUV, machine gun, potatoe launcher, machete, chainsaw, ATV, silly string, pepper spray, etc, et al..

The site realpitbull.com is A PRO PITBULL WEBSITE.. It describes the benefits of the dog.. Did you even look at it? It also goes into the history + past uses of the breed. Which is usually one of the primary things you look at when selecting a dog.. It even has sections on choosing a good breeder, training, etc.. All and all I found it to be an excellent website on the breed, ton's of good info. Go read up a bit.. Who's the idiot again?

I would assume that you did your research before you got your dogs, and decided they were right for YOU, that's great.

NEVER did I say anyone shouldn't have one, or consider owning one. I never even said they were bad dogs, as I'm sure they are fine animals. I did say that a dog that's been bred to be a fighter, is more apt to have aggressive tendancies.

There is nothing I hate worse than seeing a dog chained up in the back corner of the back yard unloved, or worse yet abandoned or in the shelter because somebody with good intentions got it based on it's 'cool' factor alone, then found it to be unmanagable.

Leo

[edited to correct my terrible spelling]

RAGE
05-11-2003, 06:06 AM
Actually Huevos my wife has been bit by pits, rotties and sheppards amongst other breeds. Nothing life threatening but enough to say she was bit, it comes with the territory. We own a pit right now and i can tell you he does have a bit of a problem with biting our cats, if you see that as a problem. I have to keep him locked up when we are not home cause I know without being told to stop he would kill the cats without a doubt. We have only had him for a little while and we are slowly breaking these bad traits but thruthfully if he doesn't come around soon we have no choice but to put him down. He is a rescue special and its a crap shoot with dogs anyways but of the last 4 we have gotten he is by far the most challenging. I'll tell you one thing though, don't judge the entire breed just from YOUR dog. Dogs will often not attack its owner but if cornered or scared like just happened with SGA they will.

400grl
05-11-2003, 06:46 AM
Leo!

You aren't hijacking my thread! This is all good discussion - this is what I was hoping for - I wanted to hear everyone's opinions - arguments for and against - get some new ideas (like the DOGO - what a cool dog!) - etc. There are points that have been brought up that I didn't think about. To have a dog I can take to races I will need to be sure it's a dog that will be "professional" at all times - whether it be when a two-year old wanders up to it to poke it in the eye (babies always like the shiny pretty things!) or someone skulking around eyeing our stuff (this doesn't happen too much - not too much theivery goes on in our pits) - it needs to be a dog I won't think twice about when it comes to taking it out into the public.

So....fortunaty, I have some time to do some good research - I'm in an apt right now until I buy my house....so no impulse "buying/adopting" for me......

Again - this is all very interesting, so carry on! ;) :D

BTW! What kind of puppy is in that last pic? It looks like a little bloodhound puppy!

Red00Honda400EX
05-11-2003, 08:41 AM
Its a vizsla puppy we used to breed them but now our dogs are to old and well we don't have time anymore. Pups can range from 500-1200 a piece, we usually sold ours 800 for males and 900 for females. Fairy easy to find for that price. here is a web site with more info. Click me (http://clubs.akc.org/vizsla/) Both of our dogs, one is 13 and the other is 10, still run with our quads whenever we go out and both hunt all day long without missing a beat. They are fairly small dogs, ours are about 40-45lbs and very family friendly. They will protect you against anyone that ever tries to hurt you despite their small size they are still very aggressive when it comes to protecting their family and loved ones. Well just an idea and I thought I'd let you know. :)

bsb64
05-12-2003, 12:03 PM
>>>There is nothing I hate worse than seeing a dog chained up in the back corner of the back yard unloved, or worse yet abandoned or in the shelter because somebody with good intentions got it based on it's 'cool' factor alone, then found it to be unmanagable.
<<<

Thats about what happens to 90% of the Pits I've been around. I agree 100% Leo.

And Guy, that is a one big Pit. Never seen one that big. Thanks for the pic.

monkeyboy
05-12-2003, 12:08 PM
we got us 7 dogz an 14 catts at da cabin:cool:

Guy400
05-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
we got us 7 dogz an 14 catts at da cabin:cool: We didn't ask you what you're having for dinner..lmfao:D

YLW400
05-16-2003, 10:26 AM
He is my doofus dog...lol Axel is his name. 14 weeks old, around 40 lbs.

YLW400
05-16-2003, 10:27 AM
Here is my doofus dog...lol Axel is his name. He is an English Lab....(some know them as "blockheads") These are supposedely the original labs. He is 14 weeks old, around 40 lbs.

edgerat
06-26-2003, 12:16 PM
I just came across this thread and I had to respond to address some of the false statements about certain breeds of dogs that have bad reputations. I have been breeding, raising and training hunting dogs since I was about 10 yrs old and have been around dogs the majority of my life. I have come in contact with most of the breeds mentioned here and I had to give my opinion on this because I feel there is some really bad info going on in this thread.

First, Corry you have kids and you live in the city you DO NOT WANT A POWER BREED. A power breed is a dog that falls into the category of once being used as a fighting dog. The list of usual suspects in this category are pretty much no brainers:
Pit Bull(and its namesakes the American Staff, The Staff, the American Pit Bull Terrier and anything else that looks like a pit)
Rotts(BIG NO NO AROUND LITTLE KIDS)
Bull Terriers
The smaller mastiffs

These dogs are usually good dogs to own if you have the time to devote to them. They need constant excercise and they need a job to do. In the end the Pits are just terriers with bigger jaw muscles. The nature of a terrier is to be busy and have a job to do at all times. If you cannot give a terrier a job to do they WILL FIND SOMETHING TO DO. Whether that is eating your goggles, couch, or dining room table THEY WILL FIND SOMETHING TO DO WITH THEIR TIME. Also, 99% of the pit bull attacks you hear of are the ones that have negligent owners that dont spend the kind of time needed to keep the dogs in good shape and in good spirits. If I were to equate Power Breeds to a childs age i would say they are like pre-teens. They are old enough to know better but they will SNAP at a moments notice because they dont think something is right. Power breeds arent bad dogs and they shouldnt be destroyed just for being born but like any exotic animal their breeding needs to be policed to some extent to keep the breed headed in the right direction(whatever that may be)

Second, Labs are NOT hyper dogs. Puppies are hyper and tough to deal with sometimes but Labs as a breed ARE NOT hyper dogs. The are very laid back when they need to be and are very very good dogs. When it comes to training a Lab they are a push button breed. What I mean by push button is, with the right training ANYONE can train a lab to do the basic commands that 99% of people need their family pets to do. I do NOT recommend getting a male American Lab. They are hard-headed *******s and you damn near have to beat commands into them because they see life differently that you do. If you want a great family dog that will still protect your kids but you wouldnt have to worry about your kids being alone with them get a female BLACK lab. Black labs are the only original color of lab. The yellows and chocolates while being pretty are nothing more than mistakes where someone WAY BACK WHEN bred a golden retriever back into the labs and that is when all the color started to come out. The color of the dog has nothing to do with it's temperment. One of the guys mentioned getting an English Lab because they have better temperments than the American Lab. That is true, the English worked very hard at getting the Lab back to the kind of dog it was when it was first invented. Overall the lab is the best choice so far.

I guess the main thing in all of this is find a breed that you really like and that you can trust to be at home with your kids 24hrs a day 7 days a week because that is very important. I do not reccomend getting a "mutt" from the pound becuase god knows what kind of breeding it has and that can be a time-bomb waiting to go off. Anyways, another big thing to look at is DO NOT impulse buy a pup. Nothing but bad can come out of this because you dont really know what you are getting. Do your research on a breeder that you find, and ask around about that person. You need to approach buying a dog like you approach buying a new car. You need to do your research on the dealer and the car and read reviews about the car and all kinds of other garbage to insure that you arent getting something you will regret. I know that I rambled about this but if you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them for you and try and help you in any way I can. I love dogs and I just hate to see them getting disparaged just for their name or their reputation in the world.
Isaac Jarrett

400grl
06-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Isaac! Thank you for your post! I will keep your info handy and most likely chat with you before I buy a pooch! I've done the impulse buy thing before, and I know it's a bad way to go.

I had a pug for 14 years when I was a kid - that's a silly little dog - but cool!

I want to be sure whatever I get is going to fit in and be the perfect dog for what we do and who we are......

Thanks again for everyone's input - this was a great thread!

86350x
06-26-2003, 11:20 PM
Not sure how often you'd be around to handle the dog, but for a dog that isn't aggresive and likes kids and people in general, I'd get a collie, or a german short hair. We have had shorthairs for years, and they love kids. Never bite or snap at anyone, but will still be alert and make noise at night ect...

My older brother is right around your age. He picked up a bull dog in ontario when it was a pup. He wanted it to protect the house and his wife, while he was away at work. He's freindly to people that have been around him.......... But you don't want to enter the house without my bro going to the door at night. That dogs head is huge. He tips the scales at 80lbs already too. I think he should consider getting rid of him when the kid arrives. It would worry me anyways:confused:

Have a couple pics of the bulldog.

xxg0tn0lifexx
06-26-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by TheChknhwk
I had a redbone, you better have that mofo on a leash if you let it out side cause it's huntin'. Mine took off out of the kennel one day when I let it out while cutting grass & was never seen again. It was either shot for running deer or someone stole it. On the other hand, I have an American Mastiff, which is a great dog, very docile & mellow, but also very protective of it's loved ones & property. I think I will get her bred in 6 months if anyone is interested. Here is a puppy pic...

nice dog, looks like a laid back fella...

86350x
06-26-2003, 11:23 PM
Hes still a pup in these pics though, even in the winter time, that dog is always hot.:ermm:

xxg0tn0lifexx
06-26-2003, 11:27 PM
i got a jack russell terrior, cute lil dogs and they are fast as hell, like to jump, but they also love to wine when they have no attiotion, but i guess like every dog does that. my jack is 9 months old...

RIDER11X
06-27-2003, 02:18 AM
My wife and I just got this 12 week old miniature dachshund(Weiner Dog) that we call Skeeter. These are popular in the pits for their size being easy to transport and carry, and their guts. They think they are bigger than they are. Ours at 12 weeks chases our neighbor's 75lb. Golden Retreiver around the yard!:eek: He is playful but likes to just relax at every given oppritunity. Not constantly seeking attention. Great dogs to consider.:)

RIDER11X
06-27-2003, 02:26 AM
Here's another pic of Skeeter trying to make up with another friend's Lab Mix. He's not so sure of this puppy!:D

olyeller
06-27-2003, 02:27 AM
how about a boxer? have you ever seen one? There great with kids. A very family oriented dog and protective also, but mostly they just bark. harmless. My dog (boxer) is getting to have pups this weekend.

Baley69
06-27-2003, 04:52 AM
Here ya go grl, hes got a rot face :D

QuadTrix6
06-27-2003, 05:25 AM
Dog Experts !!! where can i find information on a mini dovermans, how big do they get ? and does anyone have em ? thanks

RIDER11X
06-27-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
Dog Experts !!! where can i find information on a mini dovermans, how big do they get ? and does anyone have em ? thanks

Check an AKC site and do a search for them. The spelling for the search is MINIATURE DOBERMAN.;)

250exGrrl
06-27-2003, 09:36 AM
Here's my German Shepherd! What great dogs! They love spending a lot of time with their people... exercising, playing, obedience...they are wonderful. Mine is a little over protective of me and my family, but other than that - GREAT! I think that boxers, great danes, and chow-chows make really good pets too.

250exGrrl
06-27-2003, 09:38 AM
:D

RIDER11X
06-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 250exGrrl
Here's my German Shepherd! What great dogs! They love spending a lot of time with their people... exercising, playing, obedience...they are wonderful. Mine is a little over protective of me and my family, but other than that - GREAT! I think that boxers, great danes, and chow-chows make really good pets too.

That would be my choice in a big dog too. How old is he/she?

250exGrrl
06-27-2003, 09:51 AM
He is a little over 1 and 1/2 years old. He'll be 2 in October.

micah
06-27-2003, 10:56 AM
Get a staffy bull. I have a little 5 1/2 month old one and he is awsome. They are the refined persons pit. Plus they are good with kids....in england they are known as the childrens nanny or somthing like that.

Dont plan on a staffy or a pit to be good for protecting property....they love people too much. BUt they will protect you. Dont worry about the property though, because most people will see the dog and not want to mess with any of your stuff.

86350x
06-29-2003, 03:26 AM
dalmation:cool: sorry, just checked my mail, didn't mean to bring up an old thread. They look good, and would attract alot of attention like.................

I"m gonna stop now:eek: