PDA

View Full Version : R jetting troble

airheadedduner
04-25-2003, 06:53 AM
I am having some serious jetting issues on my R.
My setup:
86'
Mild port(clean up mostly)
LRD pipe
K&N
CR gasket
carbon reeds

Running AT sea level it misses like crazy and goes through plugs bad. I currently am running a 42 pilot(stock is 45), needle on middle position(stock) and a 160 main. I have tried going to a 38 pilot, still rich. I have gone down to a 152 main, still rich. I put the clip on the second from the top position, still $*(%(#ING RICH.
I put in a new stator. I have swapped coils, and CDI's and every other electrical component with parts off my friends R's. The filter is clean. The reeds are almost new. The carb is spotless and the floats are right and I am not getting air leaks and the head gasket is not leaking. I tried the BR8EV and BR8EG and nothing better. My friends R with a very simalar set up is running 45 pilot, middle clip position, and a 165 main and it runs awesome. Any ideas cause I am freakin clueless.:mad: :grr :mad: :scary:

And I am really pissed cause it broke a god damn ball joint on my breakin ride. Lets just say the resulting crash was quite spectacular. It is now put on "hold stuff up duty" in the garage till farther notice.:scary:

powerslider
04-25-2003, 10:50 AM
New carb time, the needle/seat area wears and leaks causing the rich condition. Try an Airstryker, they work well.

ESR250R
04-25-2003, 02:15 PM
i would go up with your pilot jet. i would go to at least a 48. have u made any changes since the last time your quad ran? if u just put the cr head gasket on u might need to run 50/50 race gas/premium and gap your plug a little tighter to create a hotter sparks to ignite the higher octane. i had a setup similiar to your and i ran a 48 pilot, 158-160 main, and my needle on the middle position. with my new carb and my ported cylinder i run a 180 main, needle 4th spot and a 52 pilot. if all else fails i would try a new carb (38mm a/s). but once u go to a new carb your quad will drink gas.

airheadedduner
04-25-2003, 05:01 PM
I have run every combination with the jets I have.
I have 38-50 for the pilot and 145-180 mains. No dice.
CR gasket is giving me a little less then 180psi, it is not pinging.
The EV and EG are better plugs then the ES. It should have ingnited any fuel with that.

Is the needle seat wear thing a common problem?? I don't relish the though of shelling out a couple hundred for a carb.

powerslider
04-25-2003, 11:14 PM
Yes the needle/seat wear is a common problem, these carbs been around a long time so an update will be a big improvement. ESR has decent prices or you could get one from certain years CR250 from Service Honda for less but I don't know the specifics on that. Maybe call them, they might know.

04-26-2003, 02:45 AM
whenever I am trying to get jetting right ,I do not use the
"8R" plugs they seem to collect alot of oil ...just for now try using
7BES or 8BES stock slow jet, 3rd clip & 160/162 main jet..
I know you said you tried all kinds of combinations ..
but if the aint cleaning up you'll always be fighting it ..just an idea

airheadedduner
04-26-2003, 06:56 PM
Deffinatly the needle seat. When it is running and I shut it off, leave for a few min and gas is dripping out the overflow. I just went out and bought a 35mm PWK. That should do the trick;)

powerslider
04-27-2003, 12:24 AM
Good deal, let us know how it runs....:cool: