PDA

View Full Version : Ooops, what should i do?

BadA$$440
04-25-2003, 06:45 AM
well i was out riding the other day when my shifter "seemed" like the bolt loosened up and it wasnt sitting on there tight and it fell down a lil bit and i stuck my foot under it to shift up and it broke the shaft that holds the shifter. I dont really feel like taking apart the whole motor just to replace that little shaft. So do you think i can get away with just taking the motor out of the bike and welding it back together? i dont want to pay a couple hundred dollars to fix a part that cost 5 bucks

funluckey
04-25-2003, 07:48 AM
The same thing happened to my bike last sunday. I just got the parts in today and getting ready to put it back together to haed to Loretta Lynns. The shift spindle is like $62.00 plus all the gaskets. If you got to fix I'd fix it right the first time. Sorry for the bad luck

BadA$$440
04-25-2003, 03:13 PM
are you taking your whole motor apart? i just dont feel comfortable doing it cause i will probably screw something else up.

Like when i installed my 416, i screwed something up while putting it back together and it cost me $200 just to fix it.

funluckey
04-25-2003, 04:01 PM
Yes, I had to split the case to replace the spindle, it's probally somthing you might not want to try if you don't feel comfortable. I just got mine back together a little while ago, now its loadedd in the trailer for Lorettas tomorrow. If you try and weld the shifter directly to the spindle it might work on the other hand if it doesn't you didn't loose anything and will be back to having to replace the whole thing anyway.

BadA$$440
04-26-2003, 04:53 AM
ya, thats what i was thinking, hopefully i can get away with just welding it. It would be a whole lot faster, and cheaper.

timewass
04-28-2003, 05:35 AM
Just a quick note for anyone welding on anything with an electrical system. You should remove your fuse and battery. Nothing may happen, but when hitting a 10 volt electrical system with welding voltages, you could fry anything.

Dirt
04-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Duct tape and If that don't work JB weld. :D

BadA$$440
04-28-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Dirt
Duct tape and If that don't work JB weld. :D

i wish i could but neither of those would hold

asfaltsurfer1
04-29-2003, 06:56 PM
Good chance if you try to weld the shaft the rubber case seal will melt or distort enough to cause an oil leak. Clamp a pair of old vice grips to the shaft near the case to help absorb the heat. If that doesn't work what did you have to loose, if I were replacing the shaft I'd put a new seal in anyways.