PDA

View Full Version : Hot cams customer service

mopar 400
04-24-2003, 03:08 PM
I wanted to share my experience with the boys over at Hot Cams Tony and Steve. I have my motor with a builder right now, and when i opened up one of the Hot Cam boxes I have in the Garage, I found both spec sheets with the stage 1 and stage 2 specs on them. I was a bit puzzled thinking what dop I really have in my motor right now? After a quick call to Hotcams, which I left a message for Tony, I had the reassurance they would help me. Tony returned my call and I explained that I hadtwo bikes and both have Hotcams Stage 2 cams. I told him they were installed when we had some other motor work done and that now was the first time I actually looked at the spec sheets and in one of the boxes found A stage1 sheet and stage 2 sheet. I asked Tony what the chances are that I actually got a stage 2 box with a stage 1 cam in it, and he reassured me that once I had the cam out, if that was the case he would replace my 8 month old cam with a stage 2. I was quite impressed with this, and after finding the cam to be stamped with a 8, which is for stage 2, i had no issues.

Then this morning my engine builder, whom works mainly with Mega Cycle cams needed some info about hthe Hotcams, so I called them back and talked to Steve. He was very helpfull, and since I was in my truck driving at the time, I could not write down all the info, so I gave him my engine builders name and number and Steve called him up and told him everythiong he needed to know. These guys at HotCams are great... Keep up the good work.....

:) :D :cool: :eek:

steve7467
04-24-2003, 03:22 PM
wow that makes me feel a little better. i just bought a stage 1 cam from hotcam and i was a little worried because of all the stories i have heard about them. I also bought a je 10.8:1 416 piston if anyone cared. cant wait to put them in and thanks for sharing that story. eases my mind a little

Juggalo
04-24-2003, 04:10 PM
i have had a good experience with them so far as well. i have been talkin to pat over e-mails about trading my stage 1 in on a stage 2. he would always get back to me on the same day or the very next day before i got back from school. seemed friendly and he didn't have any issues with me sending it back. i'm waiting on my stage 2 still but i only sent it out yesterday so hopefully it'll be soon. so far i give em a big thumbs up

mopar 400
04-25-2003, 11:00 AM
hot cams:D

JOEX
04-25-2003, 03:18 PM
On my list of things to buy:D

trx400ex
04-25-2003, 03:37 PM
I have a stage 2 in my quad and so far it has been great..

hawiianpwr
04-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Can you guys putt around with the hotcam 2 and trail rider with it? Do you really have to rev it to work?

mopar 400
04-26-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by hawiianpwr
Can you guys putt around with the hotcam 2 and trail rider with it? Do you really have to rev it to work?
imo you have throw the hammer down to see the best out of the stage 2. the stage 1 is more low end cam so you could putt around whith it..

lilpoppy
04-26-2003, 03:09 PM
So did yopu decide to stay with the stage 2 cam with your new rebuild? How were all the springs and rockers holding up? Myne should be ready next week so I will have it ready to do some drag racing by memorial weekend.

trx400ex
04-26-2003, 03:27 PM
you can put around just fine with this cam, i would raise the compression to 11:1 though.....

hawiianpwr
04-26-2003, 06:32 PM
cool thanks mopar

04-26-2003, 07:45 PM
It took a little time but they did right by me and then some.

Thanks to Tony Tice :D

BTW I owed you at least that much.

Its a long story but after several months and some questions on specs and stuff they just sent me the correct grind for my set up (the orig stage1 was too small) and its working great.

The orig one was in use for over 6 mos and showed no measureable wear either so no issues there with the aftermarket valve springs etc.

YZROOSTINYA
04-27-2003, 11:21 PM
almost a 100 hours and still :devil :devil :devil

luvmyex
04-28-2003, 11:20 AM
yea you can putt around with a stage II.It may be just a fraction of a hesitation>sp? if your really lugging in 1st or 2nd.The cam is from mid to top.But it pulls hard all through the gears,and all gears too!

04-28-2003, 02:42 PM
It may be just a fraction of a hesitation>sp? if your really lugging in 1st or 2nd.The cam is from mid to top.

Well theres no problem with luggin on this one :D It may even like it when you grab a handfull of throttle while a gear high :macho

Your hesitation may be carb related.

hawiianpwr
04-28-2003, 04:39 PM
huh kinda tough choice. 1 or 2

Castor-426ex
04-28-2003, 04:42 PM
not on the 426...

if you lug cam get mad....lol

not bad...but if i just constantly rev on it...its so much better....so i guess its balls to the wall

F-16Guy
04-28-2003, 05:16 PM
No complaints here. There were some problems with HotCams at first, but I think you really have to expect some glitches when a company first starts out. The real measure of a company is how they deal with those problems, and to their credit, I think HotCams is going in the right direction. Big improvement for minimal cash.... that's something you don't see much in this sport!!

04-28-2003, 05:53 PM
huh kinda tough choice. 1 or 2

From my experiences its stage1 for stk bore with min mods and normal comp piston, and stage2 for bigger bores and more modded stk bores.

Whats missing is the stage3: Torque monster cam. lol
profile close to stage2 duration with lots more lift and diff slope angles to get those intakes open sooner and the exhaust open later.

hmmm did I get that right?

Bet the drag and XC guys could work with that one, but I hear no new grinds from Hot cams for a while.

luvmyex
04-29-2003, 10:18 AM
THeres not really a hesitation unless your just barly moving in 2nd.I ment really lugging.But thats more being the wrong gear than anything.As long as you have just a little rev you hit the throttle you better be point in the right direction.Cause its either lifting the front end or you arent gonna have time to turn.I still want a carb but it would just be overkill for the trail riding i do.But it would be so cool to just walk all over somebody being side by side hit it and see ya!

04-29-2003, 07:11 PM
But it would be so cool to just walk all over somebody being side by side hit it and see ya!

hmmm whats that like :rolleyes:

j37
04-30-2003, 07:05 AM
I just ordered a Hotcam stage 2. Im having a 416 piston put in my 400ex and the cam. I should have my engine back on Friday. Hopefully ill notice a difference.

UglyMotha™
04-30-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
its so much better....so i guess its balls to the wall

:D

Castor-426ex
04-30-2003, 08:08 AM
lmao