PDA

View Full Version : Arm fatigue on the Predator...

QuadJunkies
04-23-2003, 07:36 PM
Ok, now this may sound odd, and Im not sure if Im even posting this in the right spot but, why do you suppose my arms and hands tire out ALOT more quickly on the Predator than on my 400ex?:confused: any solutions to correct the problem, oh also, this is mostly while riding on sand.. thanks :);)

Castor-426ex
04-23-2003, 07:38 PM
the predator is supposed to have zero bump steer so wtf?

i dunno tina

ill keep my mouth shut:eek: :D :D

QuadJunkies
04-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
the predator is supposed to have zero bump steer so wtf?

i dunno tina

ill keep my mouth shut:eek: :D :D HAHA well, you think maybe Im just not used to it and Im clutching my hands too tight?:confused: I felt this once when riding on a 330R but heck I expected that to hold on for dear life!:eek: :p :o

killed300ex
04-23-2003, 11:10 PM
could it be because the steering is harder because maybe its heavier or maybe the steering bearings arnt greased right? I dont know just a couple of ideas
killed

Guy400
04-23-2003, 11:27 PM
Cause it weighs 450+lbs. with gas, oil and anti-freeze. Polaris "zero" bumpsteer setup may work great for reducing bumpsteer but it does nothing to eliminate the bike's weight. When you're trying to jump, wheelie, throw it corners, etc. you're trying to manipulate over 450lbs. and that catches up to you after a while.

Good news is this, Tina! You'll get used to it (and wind up with forearms like Popeye):D

NDpredator
04-23-2003, 11:52 PM
It's just something that's gonna happen when you start riding a new quad. The way the handlebars and stuff are set up in the front is different than the 400ex, so maybe it's just because your arms are in a little different position than you're used to. Also GUY400 the predator is far less than 450+ lbs. It's about 415 wet.

Derrick

04-24-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Cause it weighs 450+lbs. with gas, oil and anti-freeze. Polaris "zero" bumpsteer setup may work great for reducing bumpsteer but it does nothing to eliminate the bike's weight. When you're trying to jump, wheelie, throw it corners, etc. you're trying to manipulate over 450lbs. and that catches up to you after a while.

Good news is this, Tina! You'll get used to it (and wind up with forearms like Popeye):D
I gota agree w/his opinion ..
When i rode my old DS650 I noticed how it's weight had the same affect on me at first ..

QuadJunkies
04-24-2003, 01:46 AM
hmm. I guess this could be some of it, Troy hasnt noticed a bit of difference from the EX, I noticed within the first few minutes of riding it.. Could some if it have to do with the set of tires its running on it?Dont get me wrong, I love the quad:blah , I guess this wk end Ill have to see if it does the same on hardpack, then ill no if the tires cause some of it in sand.. hehe Maybe I better get my butt back in the gym more often and pump those arms too.......:o

04-24-2003, 01:57 AM
There ain't nothing wrong with a little exercise, girl. No pain - no gain...

QuadJunkies
04-24-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by froggigginmama
There ain't nothing wrong with a little exercise, girl. No pain - no gain... Well, I do excersice:D I had a trainer at one time and up until the last 6 wks went on a reg basis,but Im working almost dbl the hours now and getting roughly 3-4 hours sleep a day who feels like going to a gym?:huh today is day nine thank god I finally got a three day wk end:) ITs not so much that its painful, my arms just tire out more than they do on mine is all,now when I rode a DS, it didnt tire me out this way...Ill just have to get used to it somehow...;) cause I love to ride it.

QuadJunkies
04-24-2003, 02:09 AM
There ain't nothing wrong with a little exercise, girl. No pain - no gain... btw, what do you ride?????

lil400exman
04-24-2003, 02:26 AM
tina guy is abosolutely right i hink u might be grabbing on the bars too low.This is a problem i encounter riding my dirtbike alot more than my quad. You need to place ur wrists high on the throttle not level as most people do. when your arm is level it puts alot of fatigue/stress on your wrists/muscles in that area. grabbing up higher will put pressure on it.You may have to adjust you thumb throttle posistion for it to match where you thumb will be relocated to. I know that sounds weird but that is what ezra lusk told me and it worked. Now about the hand fatigue heres my thing. I like cup my hands in a c shape but barely grab the grip. Then as i turn i kind of turn c shaped hand it bucles and the grip and it holds tight. All this takes practice to get used to and one u get it right arm-pump wont kill your riding days anymore.;) :)

QuadJunkies
04-24-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
tina guy is abosolutely right i hink u might be grabbing on the bars too low.This is a problem i encounter riding my dirtbike alot more than my quad. You need to place ur wrists high on the throttle not level as most people do. when your arm is level it puts alot of fatigue/stress on your wrists/muscles in that area. grabbing up higher will put pressure on it.You may have to adjust you thumb throttle posistion for it to match where you thumb will be relocated to. I know that sounds weird but that is what ezra lusk told me and it worked. Now about the hand fatigue heres my thing. I like cup my hands in a c shape but barely grab the grip. Then as i turn i kind of turn c shaped hand it bucles and the grip and it holds tight. All this takes practice to get used to and one u get it right arm-pump wont kill your riding days anymore.;) :) that was some good advice.....thanks ;)

04-24-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
btw, what do you ride?????

I rid a 400ex and an old pos suzuki lt250r wehn its running. When I first bought it, I didn't know you had to mix oil and gas together to make it run right. Every since then its been awful mean to me. I took it to this mecanic friend of mine to help, but he didn't know. He works more on lawnmowers, chainsaws, and such. Maybe when the economy gets better I'll take it to a good place.

VegasEx'r
04-24-2003, 10:10 AM
I have had the same problem on my Predator. I think the stock bars are a big part of it. I just ordered the Trail Tech clamp/bar combo from RM, so I guess I will be able to see next week.

dirtmomma
04-24-2003, 10:38 AM
I rid a 400ex and an old pos suzuki lt250r wehn its running. When I first bought it, I didn't know you had to mix oil and gas together to make it run right. Every since then its been awful mean to me. I took it to this mecanic friend of mine to help, but he didn't know. He works more on lawnmowers, chainsaws, and such. Maybe when the economy gets better I'll take it to a good place.

LOL yeah I HATE when that happens :rolleyes: hahaha!!! J/P;) Hey QJ I have the same problem but mine is because I'm holding on for dear life LOL LOL now I'm finding myself talking to myself telling myself to relax, let go of the death grip on the bars!!!! I'm always adjusting my throttle position, thats why I like the twist throttle on our blaster so we'll have to see heck I might have to put one on the 300. So you like the Pred huh, I sat on one & it seemed like the front of the seat sat way HIGH & I wasn't very comfortable, but it was the same way w/ Ronny's 400 until I got the 300 wierd stuff..

Guy400
04-24-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by NDpredator
It's just something that's gonna happen when you start riding a new quad. The way the handlebars and stuff are set up in the front is different than the 400ex, so maybe it's just because your arms are in a little different position than you're used to. Also GUY400 the predator is far less than 450+ lbs. It's about 415 wet.

Derrick Derrick, check this link: http://predator.polarisindustries.com/techdata.asp

Polaris claims the DRY weight of the Predator is 415lbs. I've never known any quad company besides Cannondale to post the real dry weight of their quads but I'll give Polaris the benefit of the doubt. The Predator holds 3.25 gallons of gas and gasoline weighs 5.6lbs./gallon for a total weight of 18.2lbs. of gas. I don't know what the capacity is for the engine oil but I'll guess 2 quarts. Two quarts of oil is a hair over 4lbs. Antifreeze is 8lbs. per gallon and I don't know the Predator's capacity but I'll guess at 1/2 gallon so there's about 4lbs. You've just added 26.2lbs. of fluids to Polaris' claimed dry weight of 415lbs. That brings the bike to 441lbs. believing the 415lb. dry weight.

I'm not bashing the Predator in any manner. I'm simply pointing out that some of the problem with Tina's arm pump could very well come from riding a 441lb. quad when she's used to riding one that weighs under 400lbs. wet.

04-24-2003, 10:42 AM
a good thing is after you hop back on the 400 ..
you will be smiling again ;)

QuadJunkies
04-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by VegasEx'r
I have had the same problem on my Predator. I think the stock bars are a big part of it. I just ordered the Trail Tech clamp/bar combo from RM, so I guess I will be able to see next week. Thanks god Im not just weird...:o Def. let me know how they work:)

phatswinn
04-24-2003, 03:42 PM
the c shape works, thats all i do and all that gets sore sometimes is my fingers when i do alot of whoops, and hes right abotht he angle on ur wrists too, your knuckles should point up allitle