PDA

View Full Version : LRD CDI for an R??

racerx573
04-23-2003, 05:57 PM
Does anyone run one of these? Hows it work? What kind performance can I expect? and what do I need to cut up to install it? Better throttel response? More top, bottom mid??...is it worth the $180? I'd ultimately want an ESR set up but no can do right now..

AndrewRRR
04-24-2003, 05:21 AM
It seems to make a little difference on a 250, but the motor I was running didn't really make much power after the stock limit anyway so it's hard to say. I never ran the 350 without it so I don't know how that compares. LRD claims 2hp at the wheels. When I installed it I also put on a CR headgasket, ported reed cage, and a new pipe, so I don't know how much difference the CDI really made. I'd say there are probably better ways to spend $180.
To install it you just cut the wires going to the factory CDI, and solder them (I think there are 6 wires). It's not hard.

04-24-2003, 06:27 AM
has anyone heard of or tried the Dynatek igntion for the 250R ?
there was a lil write up in Dirtwheels under "hotstuff"
the May edition ?

racerx573
04-24-2003, 12:05 PM
I saw that, and probly going to look into it. GT Thunder (the guys who built my motor), say the CR250 works best with their engines, so I'll to see what I can save up this summer.

AndrewRRR
04-25-2003, 06:10 AM
I looked into the CR ignition, but I like to ride at night too, so that wouldn't work. I also checked into the MSD, but I'm a little uneasy about forking over $550 and relying on a battery to fire your ignition. My cousin's shee with MSD died on it's maiden voyage (after he charged the battery it ran fine for the rest of the day).

airheadedduner
04-25-2003, 06:37 AM
ONe of my friends had the LRD cdi on his R. I loved it on the 250. With just a pipe, mild porting, CR gasket and filter, the CDI made a huge difference. When we tried on on my friends dads 310R and my 295 it didn't help a whole lot.

One the other R though I have got to say taht will probly be one of my next mods. IT makes the motor rev extremely quick. SO quick that my friend who weighs 90lbs(at the time) could do 3rd gear launches on pavement. He was running with piped banshess on hill climbs. Since then he has gained weight(started lifting, got tired of us making fun of him) and has got rid of the bike though. I really like the thing.

racerx573
04-25-2003, 07:41 AM
I'm running a 265, so I guess it would work well then? AndewRRR, I believe Ricky Stator can help out w/ the CR set up so you can run lights.

chevyman
04-25-2003, 02:20 PM
I used one on my 250r and i thought it started faster and was a little more snappy than the stock cdi. I have a 265, 38 mm carb and i think it was worth it. Hope this helps.

racerx573
04-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Thanks, I think I might get one...mine couse use a little bit more snap to it, I think.

AndrewRRR
04-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
I'm running a 265, so I guess it would work well then? AndewRRR, I believe Ricky Stator can help out w/ the CR set up so you can run lights.

Yeah Ricky probably can add a lighting coil to the CR stator, but it's really not worth it to me. My stock setup with the LRD cdi works just fine. I've never had ignition problems.