PDA

View Full Version : 400ex starter button?

j37
04-23-2003, 03:33 PM
Im thinking about getting rid of my stock starter button and light switch because I crashed and broke it and the light switch doesnt work. And I want to get a killswitch button off a bike to use as my starter button. I know people have done this before. Do the killswitches hook into the wiring or do I have to cut into my wiring? Which bike starter button is the best to use and easiest to hook up? Thanks.

john308
04-23-2003, 05:25 PM
I did the same thing recently. I used the kill switch from a YZ and its working just fine. I have heard of people using the kill switch from a CR, but they burn out once in a while. As far as the wiring goes, it's pretty straightforward. There are two wires that go into the starter switch. Cut those and hook up the two wires from the kill switch. I got rid of the whole switch cluster and just have the starter button on the left side of the bars and made a little aluminum plate for the light switch that I mounted on top of the steerig stem, just underneath the bars.

Moto92
04-23-2003, 06:39 PM
You said a switch off a YZ, is there a certain part number you used or do all the models come with the same switch. Id like to get rid of that big thing now that I have the hood and no lights.

john308
04-23-2003, 06:51 PM
I just went to a Yamaha dealer and asked for a kill switch from a YZ250. I'm not sure if all of the YZ's use the same switch or not.

ROGERS
04-24-2003, 10:32 AM
CR won't work. One of the wires is a ground connection.

nacs400ex
04-24-2003, 02:07 PM
ok I am going to do this cause I have no lights and have the nacs covers,
I am going to get a YZ250 killswitch if thats what works
but what starter button should I get?

haydug
04-24-2003, 02:44 PM
Either use the YZ or a KX kill button for your new start button. The CR grounds on handlebar, you can use black tape under it, buts looks generic.

john308
04-24-2003, 02:47 PM
The yz kill switch is what I use for the starter button.

j37
04-24-2003, 04:06 PM
I think im going to go with a YZ killswitch for my starter button then. Thanks for the info.

Do you know of any way to hook up my lights with a toggle switch or something since my light switch is broken and wont work at all. I have the lights on there still with my Nac's light covers over them and sometime I may want to use my lights and I dont really want to buy the whole new light switch for $70 or something like that. Just wondering.