PDA

View Full Version : Turbochargers!

mod300ex
04-23-2003, 08:45 AM
my bro is like a professional at turbos and we got thinkin the other night we could put one on my 300 off a lil car what do u guys think do u think it can handle the boost.......and where is the place that sells them so i can see the configeration also does ne of u gusy have pixs of them or have one on ur quad....?? thanks for ur help and i think this will give it alot more power then a airfilter!:eek2: lmfao

nismo
04-23-2003, 09:15 AM
i think it would have to be heavily moded to put a turbo on it but what about a cold air intake that would add a good amount of power

UglyMotha™
04-23-2003, 09:20 AM
:huh cold air intake

uh welcome to the world of rice all you need is a cold air intake and a fart can and you got one freakin fast cavalier

just take off your air box lid, same differance

Cody_300ex
04-23-2003, 09:20 AM
I've seen aftermarket one for the Rappy and 400Ex but not the 300ex

CoDy

wilkin250r
04-23-2003, 09:53 AM
I've seen them, they're possible. The only company I saw was down in Mexico, I believe...

Mr_Bub400ex
04-23-2003, 11:00 AM
http://www.paatving.com/articles/turbo400ex/turbo400ex.asp

nismo
04-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha
:huh cold air intake

uh welcome to the world of rice all you need is a cold air intake and a fart can and you got one freakin fast cavalier

just take off your air box lid, same differance
what makes a cold air intake rice? it will be almost the same as a turbo on a little engine it will make ur motor run cooler and increase power the turbo just forces air into your engine with persure dont flame just because u dont know something about what someone else says they are all just opinions. just my $.02

AndrewRRR
04-23-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by nismo
what makes a cold air intake rice? it will be almost the same as a turbo on a little engine it will make ur motor run cooler and increase power the turbo just forces air into your engine with persure dont flame just because u dont know something about what someone else says they are all just opinions. just my $.02

How, pray tell, does a cold air intake force air into your engine? All intakes operate on vaccuum, sucking air in through a filter. To pressurize the intake, you need some sort of compressor (turbo or supercharger) to increase the pressure above atmospheric. All a cold air intake does is draw air from an area away from the engine (usually a front fender well on a car). A quad already does this by drawing air from under the seat (it would be pretty stupid to stick the filter in a fender well on a quad with the conditions they see).
I'd stay away from the turbo idea but give it a shot if you want. On that article where the guy turboed that 400ex, he got 48hp... for about $3000 worth of parts... including a turbo that will crack like a mother when you ride through water (exhaust sections on turbos get up to 900+ degrees C and can glow red).
You usually run into tuning issues, like how carbs usually don't like having air forced through them, which is why you usually see turbochargers on fuel injected cars.
Anyways there are more reliable and cheaper ways to double your power. But if you wanna get creative give it a shot.

Mr_Bub400ex
04-23-2003, 12:53 PM
i would only try it if u only drag race. i think it would add like 100 pounds with the turbo and intercooler etc

speedy400
04-23-2003, 12:57 PM
I dunno if i'm just off track and should of read all the posts but from my understanging what your trying to accomplish is pretty much get more air in the motor and with less water in the air. Couldn't you Not do this unless you had a small carb on a big engine?its just like puting a bigger carb on a small motor. If I am right(unlikely),that would be a bad idea. It'd just make the air a little more pure= maybe 1/2 more hp, but then take back that 1/2 hp because too much air for the motor.if I am wrong,just ignore the post...-darren

UglyMotha™
04-23-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by nismo

:huh because i don't know something.....................You should have stuck your foot in your mouth a few posts back you just made yourself sound like a complete cracker jack:rolleyes:

a cold air intake acts like a turbo on a small motor "LMAO"

sorry but a cold air intake is just an alloy tube with a filter on it there are no moving parts so how on earth is it goin to force air in your motor

the only thing a cold air intake is good for is relocating the filter to a different place so you're not sucking hot air off the motor and it also increases air flow in most cars due to the fact that they come from the factory with baffles in the intake somtimes

and if you ever notice all this has already been accomplished on your four wheeler. the only thing you need to do is remove the lid off your air box to increase air flow and boom you got yourself a cold air intake

i call it rice due too the fact that most 15 yearolds didn't know what the heck one was until that stupid movie the fast and the furious came out and by the sounds of it they still don't know what one acutally does

good day sir:huh

Chef
04-23-2003, 01:22 PM
How the hell does a cold air intake make a motor run cooler? :huh Yea, its cold air, but air is not a coolant, unless its like nitrogen....:confused:

I think its time for nismo to just shut up and read books for the next couple months...:macho

BigThumper33
04-23-2003, 02:52 PM
if anything it would run hotter! Most oxygen + fuel = more BOOM! ;)

My only question is does the 300ex pump out enough exhaust pressure to turn the turbo prop?

mod300ex
04-23-2003, 02:58 PM
i was lookin at it tongiht befor i EVER did ne thing i would buy a cheap 250x and do it and if it works do it on mine but y cut and weld and do everything to like a brand new quad and it not work lol......:confused2

BigThumper33
04-23-2003, 03:00 PM
what would you have to weld up?

The only real fabrication would be the exhaust and intake piping. With the correct measurements and such, you can have a performance car shop bend you your own exhaust.

mod300ex
04-23-2003, 03:19 PM
my frame to get it to fit cuz we cant just buy one we dont got that kinda money we will use one of a car IF we do it

AndrewRRR
04-23-2003, 04:43 PM
Cars come with many different turbochargers, and all of them are too big for a quad. Take the 13g off a 1g automatic turbo eclipse for example. Thats a small turbo by car standards, and it still takes a 2000cc 4 cylinder engine to spool it up. Mazda makes a 1.6L turbo 323 GTX, but that's still 1600cc's spinning that turbo, not 250 or 300cc's.
You'd do best to get a smaller motorcycle turbo, but those are spendy if you buy one new. I'd suggest searching salvage yards for an old suzuki 750 turbo street bike or something. I had a turbo from one laying around but I think I sold it or threw it out.
I wonder how the carb would react to the rising fuel pressure required under boost...
Dont forget the other things you will need, wastegate, compressor bypass valve (blow off valve), intercooler (might need an air-water one since a quad doesn't have a lot of room), some type of fuel management, some extremely high octane fuel (what compression do those motors have stock anyway?) and probably a ton of headgaskets (provided they go before your piston or rod does)!

Mr_Bub400ex
04-23-2003, 05:22 PM
i read somewhere that u can use some HKS wastegates and turbo timers etc. i just dont think it is worth it. too much weight and whats the point in turning a 300ex into a drag bike? just buy an older banshee and try it... even though yamaha bites... just MY .02

AndrewRRR
04-24-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Bub400ex
i read somewhere that u can use some HKS wastegates and turbo timers etc. i just dont think it is worth it. too much weight and whats the point in turning a 300ex into a drag bike? just buy an older banshee and try it... even though yamaha bites... just MY .02

You can use HKS or pretty much any of the components cars use, since the quads are on a 12 volt electrical system too. Neither I, nor any of my turbocharged friends use HK$ because it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$oooooo expensive!
You can spend a few grand and turn a 300ex into a drag bike, but a 250r is still going to stomp you. lol