PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 440EX, have some n00b questions

YFS200OH
04-23-2003, 08:26 AM
http://images.traderonline.com/img/5/plcnad/1337234/46379102_1.jpg

I found a 2000 440EX for $2400. It needs a new head gasket. I know that hondas never break down. With the 440 kit do you think this will break down like an old poloris? How much is a gasket? How much would labor be if I didn't do it myself? Does this look like a good deal to you? Any comment, opinions or tips will be greatly appriciated!! TIA heres the ad:

2000 HONDA 400ex, Wiseco 440 big bore kit, KandN jet kit and air filter, new maxxis razr rear tires. New ceet seat cover. Plastic in good shape. Runs but needs head gasket repaired. Email me for more pictures or questions. leave voice message if you call.

cheetah
04-23-2003, 02:36 PM
$2400 sounds like a heck of a deal to me. The 440 kit should be fine though. You may want to spend a tad extra to make sure everything is solid and up to date. If a new head gasket is all it needs and it runs strong, then it should be no problem. A gasket isn't that big of a deal.

oynot400
04-23-2003, 02:50 PM
That sounds like a real good deal to me. I would look it over with a fine tooth comb thought. Checking bearings, axle, swingarm, brakes, ect.
A head gasket is no big deal, if you never done one then get a manual first. A head gasket should run about $25, that is for a stainless steel one. Check to see what compression ratio it is. If it is over 11:1 then get the metal gasket.
Just my thoughts......:)

White_Knuckles
04-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Minus the head gasket you can't hear it run. Buy the gasket and ask the seller if you or a shop can install it properly. Then check out the engine under a microscope. Bikes like that have been ridden hard and who knows if the bottom end or tranny has been hammered out. You can walk away for a small investment before a "good faith" deal goes south because the owner lied. The seller may agree to a conditional sale that the engine condition is as he represents and hold back $1000 to complete the deal when the gasket is installed.