PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of o-ring vs non o-ring

Jeffksf
04-23-2003, 04:43 AM
I've had a few O-ring chains now and I've used several different lubes everything from "O-ring safe" to 10-40 and it seems to me the same thing always happens the o-ring chain always stiffens up. I mean you can bend it and pick it up and stays bent like it was. Seems like the o-rings swell or get stiff causing the chain to become stiff. I would think having a nice flexible chain that doesn't have kinks or stiff links is what you want. The last time I bought a chain for my Mojave (which I sold soon after) I put a non O-ring chain on. It seemed alot better but I don't have it anymore so I can't get a long term update on it. The reason I'm asking is my stock chain on my Z is already doing this. I know o-ring chains are sapposed to last longer but if they are stiff and showing kinks what good is that? I've been using 10-40 on this chain before and after every ride. My friends chains do the same thing. I know the way to check for wear is to hold it sideways to see how much it bends and they don't seem to deflect much so they probably still have some life in them but what good is it when they are stiff like that. I've also heard racers don't use o-ring chain either.

So whats my point.... I think o-ring chains are overrated and not worth it. Anyone else have any input?

oynot400
04-23-2003, 05:13 AM
I have ran both oring and nonoring chains. I always had a hard time trying to get the master link hooked up on an oring chain. Yes they are more money that is another thing to consider. With oring chains I was getting about a year of use out of it. Now take in consideration I ride nearly every day and it sees alot of trail and track time.
I decided to try a non-oring chain, something that the parts guy at the Honda shop recomended. I did not get 6 months out of it. Thinking I did something wrong or did not lube it right or not enough I tried another one. Same deal, about 6 months. :huh
So in my opinion the oring chain is worth the little extra money. I did learn a trick to hooking up the master link on an oring chain. Use a c-clamp and a small socket. This will compress the orings to hook the link. ;)

04-23-2003, 05:16 AM
i zip tie the clip and the outher part around it real tight and slide the clip on, i like o ring

400exdad
04-23-2003, 06:06 AM
When I was a kid, we didn't have o-ring chains on our dirt bikes. The other day I goobed up and bought a non o-ring chain by mistake. Cheap $$. Anyway, I decided to run it... thinking about the old days... :eek: Well, I adjusted it 3 times on the first day while on a 30 mile ride. I'll probably take it off and save it as a spare before I ruin my new sprockets. O-ring from now on!

airheadedduner
04-23-2003, 06:10 AM
O-ring chains aget stiff because the o-rings get old and lose there flexiblilty. Lubing them, and keeping them lubed will keep them nice and plyable. Non-oring chains are much worse and don't last that long. I had one, it streched like crazy and wasted a set of new sprokets, in a weekend. I have a DID X-ring that has been on my R for a year, and I ride sand. It is just now starting to lose its flex. I use safty wire on my master link. Loseing a master link sucks:mad:

oynot400
04-23-2003, 07:50 AM
I would like to see a pic of your safety wire on the master link. Please...:D

JOEX
04-23-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by oynot400
Me too:)

CHAUNCY
04-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Doesnt non o-ring chains spin faster than o-ring chains or vice versa ?

Bretmd94
04-23-2003, 04:51 PM
Im pretty sure non o ring are better performance wise. Thats what i hear fomr some guys that are really into dragging. I personally hate Orings. We jsut buy regular chains and soak them overnight in a wax/graphite sollution. We keep it in an old crock pot. It does wonders. They do losen up a lot at first, but after a couple rides you dont have to worry, and they dont rust.

Smoker
04-24-2003, 12:20 AM
From GT Thunder, your not losing a ton of power because of the O-ring, although it is some. :phttp://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/chain.jpg

jcv400ex
04-24-2003, 12:40 AM
O-ring chains will last longer. One thing, WD-40 will dry the o-rings out, this is why the chain is getting tight on you. O-ring chains seal the grease in the rollers. All an O-ring chain needs is a light coat of chain lube after you wash your quad to prevent rust....that's it.

CBus660R
04-24-2003, 03:47 AM
jcv400ex is right on the WD-40. It ruins the o-rings in the chain. You should use a good o-ring lube. It is well worth the couple of extra $ it costs over a can of WD-40. In fact you should never use WD-40 on any type of chain. It is a light penetrating oil, not a heavy lubricating oil. It doesn't have the shear strength to withstand the type of loads/forces that a chain is subjected to.

Smoker
04-24-2003, 03:58 AM
Maxima Chain Wax is best I've used. The sticky stuff you should stay away from, it attracts dirt. :p

Knight440
04-24-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by oynot400

me three:confused:

coryatver
04-24-2003, 06:11 AM
the sticky kinds make a big mess. most of it just flings off and gets all over the swing arm and motor its a pain to clean off! maxxima chain wax doesn't make near the mess.

lil400exman
04-24-2003, 06:18 AM
i use belray chain stuff for o-rings i am going to go with sidewinder here on my r and see how that lasts. I know a good chain and sprockets last a long time especially on 2 strokes. I am going for full on life with sidewinders full ti-stuff.......................:) :macho

Jeffksf
04-24-2003, 06:35 AM
Who said anything about using WD-40? I didn't, look at my original post before you reply.
WD-40 is for door hinges and removing stickers, not lubing chains.:rolleyes:

CBus660R
04-24-2003, 07:20 AM
So sorry to offend you. :rolleyes: I see your original post said 10-40, not WD-40. I will say that using the CB radio slange term for goodbye on your chain won't provide much lubricating value either.

toby400ex
04-24-2003, 10:38 AM
Some of you guys must be buying some cheap *** o-ring chains, I love my ek, i take it off and clean it after every ride then coat it in some white lithium grease.