PDA

View Full Version : for all you truck fans

Z-King
04-22-2003, 05:08 PM
i am getting a jeep sometime this week but i am debating weather or not to get this one because it has 7 inches of lift but dana 44s cut down to stock wrangler length do you guys think it would be to tippsy

it really is a nice jeep it is a 1982 cj7 with
7in lift
38in swamper tsl'a
dana 44s
front and rear dotroit lockers
s/o whatever that means
beadlock rims
hard top
soft top
susp seats
flomasters exhaust
and new ac
new blue matalic paint
for 7000.00

so should i get it if i did i would buy some wheel spacers though

i will have a pic soon

Z-King
04-22-2003, 05:51 PM
lets see if the pic works

300exTJjeeper
04-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Intresteing King,
You came to the right place, I got a 98TJ with 5"in of lift running 33" 4.56 gears plus thw works.

If you got any questions, I'm the man for it. been jeeping since 98.
when he says dana 44 cut to size, that means the axles came from another Truck and were just cut to make them fit onto the Jeep.
The lockers are a bling bling, espically detroit, they are used to lock up the wheels when rock crawling or offf roading a big plus there.

the 6 is proably very old and when running 38" that's gotta hurt, you should see what gears he is running inside the axles of the 44" they should be 4.56 or higher are good gears.

it's a awesome machine, jeeps are like quads your never done with them.

Like I said if you got any questions about Jeeps just hit me up.
William

Z-King
04-23-2003, 03:40 AM
thanx but do you think it will be tippsy

Honda4trax250x
04-23-2003, 04:06 AM
any jeep is tipsy:blah

300exTJjeeper
04-23-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Z-King
thanx but do you think it will be tippsy

Of course your goign to be timpsy, all the time, expecially running 38"s with a 7" lift, your talking 3 wheel motion every time you make a u turn or take a wide left or right turn.

If you want a JEEP, I highly suggest getting a 97 or newer JEEP, thea reason being it has a whole new suspesion on those, THere called TJ's anything 97 or above.,
You will love it, due tot he fact that there coil springs and a 4 link suspesion. anything below that will be leave springs and a rally harsh ride.

I mean for 7,000 you can pick up yourself a decent TJ with a mild lift, and it wil handle better than the CJ or the YJ. And if you you do diced to look for the a TJ model, please do no get the 4 cylinder model, get the 6 only 2 engines avavilve and you will love it.

William

jshively
04-23-2003, 07:12 AM
Running 38s with the Dana 44 you will be looking at snaping axle shafts if you take it offroad. If you are just looking to drive down the street you should be ok but anything remotely serious you will be snapping them. The people I offroad with run Dana 60s with those size of tires(I have seen a 44 snap with a 37 tire). Another thing to is you want to make sure that the axle ratio is setup correctly to spin those tires. Also, realize gas mileage will be horrid with those tires since those tires are very heavy.

The s/o is probably spring over axle conversion. What this does is take the leaf spring that normally comes under the axle housing and the leaf spring is rewelded to sit above the axle housing. You want to make sure that it is done correctly and that the welding looks good. You gain good lift clearance doing that. Make sure that there is not that much body lift on it. When you start getting above 2 inches of body lift or more it starts getting hairy on the drive.

As far as the wheel spacers I would not sweat about those. The rims are aftermarket and the offset on those is probably greater which pushes the tire farther out from the body and the tires are also probably 14.5 inch wide. My Jeep at one time had 31s and a 2 inch lift and pulled a 180 going 70 down the highway and suprisingly all the rubber stayed down according to the guy behind me.

Another thing the beadlock rims are usually not street legal. If you have icy roads the Detroit lockers like to wander. How the locker works is a standard axle is open. If one tire starts spinning all power is transferred to the side that is spinning. However, is a locker situation the power is transferred to the non spinning side. Which means if your right rear tire slips on ice the locker will transfer to the left rear which has traction and will cause you to wander.

Looking at the picture it looks like this was a trail rig only since it has the fenders shaved off which also is illegal in most states. Here in Indiana the fenders have to cover over the width of the tires. The trail rigs I have seen in my life have experienced there true shares of redneck igneuity. Remember once I witnessed the rewelding of a guy's axle mount on the trail. Suprisingly one of the rigs did have an onboard welder.

300exTJjeeper said it best with look at the 97+ range. I am not going to get into an argument over which one is better but I have seen both in action and I would not trade my 2000 in for an older. Plus my soft top only takes 5 minutes which the older ones take a lot longer than that. If you buy a stock TJ you can buy a 2 inch spacer lift for about 200 bucks and installation takes no time (we did mine in about 2 hours and my other buddy's Jeep in 30 minutes) and trade the tires in and pick up some 31s.

Also, if you want to learn offroading believe me start with near stock and then work up. It is a lot more difficult to offroad the higher you go because one line that may work fine for a Jeep with 31s will tip a Jeep with 33s (experienced that one) due to the higher rollover rate. You would be shocked on how well a stock Jeep can keep up with a Jeep with 33s. It all boils down to driver experience.

Sorry for the long reply and hope this helps.