PDA

View Full Version : how much smaller?

redrooster
04-22-2003, 03:57 PM
I run 20-10-9s in the rear and i've been pondering the question of dropping down on the hieght of my front tires. How low could i go and whats does it do to travel as far as messing with suspension, handling and all that good stuff, And is there any benefits to it? And i run 22s up front in case that matters!! Thanks for the help!!

stocktires
04-22-2003, 04:32 PM
If your running 20" rears, then stay with the 22" fronts.
If you were running 18" rear, I'd say switch to a 20" front, or maybe 19" for mx.
You could go to a 21" front, but that would only lower the quad 1/2" in the front.
Smaller tires give you less ground clearence, and it will make your suspension and brakeing slighly more responsive (good) because the tires will be lighter.
I run 18" rear holeshots on my ole 300ex and ground clearence is very little, but I can get over almost ANYTHING and have only got hung up in soft sand twice. Not getting stuck, or hung up on anything depends almost ALL on the rider, not the quad.

QuadTrix6
04-23-2003, 05:54 AM
what type of riding do you do ? thats important for tire size and choice

redrooster
04-23-2003, 12:43 PM
I do a little bit of groomed trail riding and and alot more technical riding. All the trails i ride are groomed just some places are more technical then others but thats about it!! And to anyone who can answer this question would be really appreciated it kind of a lame question!! Why do racers run tires with 4 to 6ply just wondering? Or is it just xc racers?Thanks

stocktires
04-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by redrooster
I do a little bit of groomed trail riding and and alot more technical riding. All the trails i ride are groomed just some places are more technical then others but thats about it!! And to anyone who can answer this question would be really appreciated it kind of a lame question!! Why do racers run tires with 4 to 6ply just wondering? Or is it just xc racers?Thanks

that's only XC racers.
MX racers run only 2ply (for lightweight)

speedy400
04-24-2003, 04:33 AM
Why can't you go 20 in the back and 20 in the front?thanks-darren

lil400exman
04-24-2003, 05:00 AM
so r saying for mx smaller front wheels are better?:confused:

jay's 300
04-24-2003, 05:30 AM
I run 21" fast trekkers in the front and 20" Razrs in the rear. I like that setup alot! Seems to handle alot better because the tires don't seem to roll over as bad! :muscle:

speedy400
04-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by speedy400
Why can't you go 20 in the back and 20 in the front?thanks-darren bump?

stocktires
04-24-2003, 02:37 PM
bump?

You can, but when you run the same sized or smaller front tire it will throw off your quads balance. Lets say you have 20" front and 20" rears. Well instead of your quad being slighly tilted back, it'll be more even, therefore giving your rear tires less traction because more of your weight is on your front end. There's many other reason's, Just take it as a basic rule that your front tire should be atleast 1" taller that your rear.

speedy400
04-25-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by stocktires
You can, but when you run the same sized or smaller front tire it will throw off your quads balance. Lets say you have 20" front and 20" rears. Well instead of your quad being slighly tilted back, it'll be more even, therefore giving your rear tires less traction because more of your weight is on your front end. There's many other reason's, Just take it as a basic rule that your front tire should be atleast 1" taller that your rear. Thanks! One last question, would that be worth sending a pair of tires back to Rocky MT(I'd have to pay shipping) and get a bigger set?Or is just a good idea but not s big deal? Thanks again!-darren

Scott400EX
04-25-2003, 05:40 AM
id run 20 rears and 21 fronts

stocktires
04-25-2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks! One last question, would that be worth sending a pair of tires back to Rocky MT(I'd have to pay shipping) and get a bigger set?Or is just a good idea but not s big deal? Thanks again!-darren

First, measure the tires! Some 20" tires are actually like 19" or 19 1/2" or 20 1/2" or even 21"!
My 18" tamers where actually 17"
And my front 20" holeshot MX's are actually about 19 3/8"

If the tires are infact the same size, or bigger in the back, personally I would send them back.
But if your on a very very tight budget, you could keep them. It wont be a huge difference. Im actually Wishing I would have went with a 19" front tire now instead of a 20"...
But its all up to you bro, Im very very picky about stuff like that, but some people arent... :(
good luck though!

speedy400
04-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Alright thanks! now I have a new problem, I had a hard time taking off the stock front tires... but I get them, any tips on puting a pair or 20/6/10 front razers on stock 10 inch front rims?I cant seem to get Anywhere on getting them on, I tried for about 2 hours. anything would REALLY help, I might end up briging them to someone but they dont open till Monday:(.thanks-darren

speedy400
04-26-2003, 04:50 PM
:( bump