PDA

View Full Version : Dunes on Mars

JOEX
04-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Floods carved this teardrop-shaped landform in Athabasca Vallis in Mars' Cerberus region, south of the Elysium volcanoes.

JOEX
04-22-2003, 12:37 PM
This image shows erosional streaks on Martian dunes in Herschel Crater, which means that the dunes are "indurated," or cemented. The inset photograph at upper left provides a wider-scale look at the crater.

JOEX
04-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Shortly after Mars Global Surveyor began orbiting the planet in 1997, scientists discovered layered rock outcrops reaching deep into the Martian crust in the walls of Valles Marineris. Since that time, thousands of images have revealed layered rock in a variety of settings: crater floors, canyon interiors, and scarps exposed by faulting and pitting. These ancient layers are within Schiaparelli Crater.

JOEX
04-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Mars Global Surveyor's red and blue wide-angle cameras provide daily coverage of the planet "from limb to limb." The limbs are the edges of the planet, as seen to the west and east of the spacecraft. Depending on the weather, clouds or haze can be seen above the limb as light-colored bands.

JOEX
04-22-2003, 12:41 PM
Windblown dunes create rippled patterns in Nirgal Vallis, a narrow valley system that stretches about 260 miles (420 kilometers) across the Martian surface, north of the large basin known as Argyre.

JOEX
04-22-2003, 12:42 PM
This Mars Global Surveyor image shows a field of dark sand dunes on the floor of Kaiser Crater in southeastern Noachis Terra. The steepest slopes on each dune, the slip faces, point toward the east, indicating that the strongest winds blowing across the floor of Kaiser move sand in this direction.

JOEX
04-22-2003, 12:43 PM
One of the key objectives of Mars Global Surveyor's extended mission is to monitor changes taking place on the planet. Here, a type of whirlwind known as a dust devil spins up the wall of a crater, leaving behind a dark trail of disturbed dust.

JOEX
04-22-2003, 12:44 PM
Sand swirls
This picture of sand dunes in Wirtz Crater was obtained by Mars Global Surveyor in early October 2002. The shape of the dunes indicates that wind has been transporting the sand from the southwest toward the northeast (lower left toward upper right).

Bretmd94
04-22-2003, 12:53 PM
I'll go if I can bring my 400ex.

JOEX
04-22-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm wondering what jetting to run:p

Str8Wicked
04-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Imagine riding them bowls... Sweet friggin pics man.. Those dunes look so crazy it's kinda scary thinkin bout them...

own2424
04-22-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
Imagine riding them bowls... Sweet friggin pics man.. Those dunes look so crazy it's kinda scary thinkin bout them... The witches eyes and razorbacks must be sharp over there.....be cautious...haha!

Dune Surfer
04-22-2003, 02:35 PM
I'm thinking like a 50 main jet:D Think of the air you could get. Soooooft landings

Max400
04-22-2003, 02:37 PM
where did you get those crazy pics????????

CHAUNCY
04-22-2003, 03:23 PM
I'll get the biggest air:devil

JOEX
04-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Max400
where did you get those crazy pics????????
Just sifting through the news...;)
http://www.msnbc.com/news/903676.asp?0ql=c8p

I think they originaly came from http://www.space.com/

Bring your thermals.....it's f'n cold there:D

Bretmd94
04-22-2003, 05:58 PM
anyone know the acceleration of gravity on mars? Im pretty sure its less than earth. I wont have to get new shocks.

QuadJunkies
04-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Just sifting through the news...;)
http://www.msnbc.com/news/903676.asp?0ql=c8p

I think they originaly came from http://www.space.com/

Bring your thermals.....it's f'n cold there:D HAHA I was just lookingat all those pics last night when I was looking for duning pic.. some crazy lookin stuff!! Im with Own2424 on this onw... WOW the razors and withces eyes would be nuts!! I wonder how tall they are:eek:

Tazz300ex
04-23-2003, 05:53 AM
I WANNA GO?? Whens the EXRIDERS caravan meeting there?????
what a couple million for a shuttle ride? any sponsors out there for the first ever ExRiders Mars Dune Ride? :eek2:

WyoDuner
04-23-2003, 06:35 AM
Sorry, but you can't ride those dunes. Apparently the Sierra Club has filed in court to do a study on the area because they are concerned that martians natural habitat may be disturbed. :)

QuadJunkies
04-23-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by WyoDuner
Sorry, but you can't ride those dunes. Apparently the Sierra Club has filed in court to do a study on the area because they are concerned that martians natural habitat may be disturbed. :) LOL! leave it to the darn Gov.:grr ;)

04-23-2003, 07:26 AM
It sucks. Last November 14th I was abducted by aliens and we stopped there on the way to some other planet approximately 21.8 light years away. They took me out in a hover craft type vehicle. What you don't see in those pictures that is also there is a lot of sharp objects that look like glass shards. I reckon somehow the environment there has enough pressure to form sand into glass. You'd definately have to invent some new type of tire, and make sure you don't crash. Besides, it's cold there and you can't breathe. The aliens were messing with me because they could, and they kept sticking my head out and choking me for the fun of it.

QuadJunkies
04-23-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by froggigginmama
It sucks. Last November 14th I was abducted by aliens and we stopped there on the way to some other planet approximately 21.8 light years away. They took me out in a hover craft type vehicle. What you don't see in those pictures that is also there is a lot of sharp objects that look like glass shards. I reckon somehow the environment there has enough pressure to form sand into glass. You'd definately have to invent some new type of tire, and make sure you don't crash. Besides, it's cold there and you can't breathe. The aliens were messing with me because they could, and they kept sticking my head out and choking me for the fun of it. :eek2: :confused2:huh

YLW400
04-23-2003, 08:28 AM
The company I work for just completed a set of Mars airbags. I think they are projected to land in 04 sometime.

Rocketman250r
04-23-2003, 10:47 AM
Oh great, so I am going to have to get different paddle tires....

Tazz300ex
04-23-2003, 12:41 PM
UM UH???:eek2:??? um UH hmmmmmm?
Originally posted by froggigginmama

um?? Yeah UM UH HUH???Hmmmm?? :eek2: :rolleyes:

Dextreme
04-24-2003, 06:18 AM
Think of the roost ya could throw....

04-24-2003, 07:28 AM
You better wear a bulletproof chest protecotr. I ain't lying. I've ben there. And I m not going back.

CHAUNCY
04-24-2003, 08:38 AM
Hey froggigginmama
Are you related to monkeyboy or slapnutz ?
Or cuz'n ?

04-24-2003, 08:43 AM
No, them boys I think is messing with you, or they have some real ishues (don't know how you spell that word). But if that cuz'n guy really works on the docks I wanna chat with him.

GETSOME
04-24-2003, 09:38 AM
Earth First! We'll Log the rest of those planets later!!! Cool pics:D

JOEX
04-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by GETSOME
Earth First! We'll Log the rest of those planets later!!! Cool pics:D
LMAO!:D

Shinnokxz
04-26-2003, 12:04 PM
I hate to be the thorn, but Mars has no atmosphere, thus no wind can be made.

But that means the creation of the dunes means that there have been glaciers/water molding them?

tait_gt2002
05-02-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Shinnokxz

But that means the creation of the dunes means that there have been glaciers/water molding them?

You're WAY off. Mars DOES have an atmosphere, just not lots of oxygen. It's mostly carbon dioxide. There are huge, horrible wind/sand storms on Mars that can range for months. Hey- you can't breath on any of the gas giants either, but Jupiter and I think Neptune both have huge hurricanes, and all the planets have winds. I *think* on Neptune they have winds that are like thousands of mph. Crazy stuff.

It would be possible to take a quad to Mars, and use an internal combustion engine. There would be certain requirements, but MAN would that be FUN....

Str8Wicked
05-02-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Shinnokxz

I agree... you must have failed your planets test in school. Mars has the closest atmosphere to Earth than any in our solar system that they have studied. It's just the atmosphere is not breathable. They have storms thou like we do, but worst, all they're land formations are close to ours compared to other planents, and they even found an organism in one of the rocks from the last studies they did.

I think you are thinking of the moon..... But I believe even planets without atmosphere are affected by solar winds....

cheetah
05-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Actually none of you would get anywhere. There's not any air for you motor to use so your not gonna get too far.

tait_gt2002
05-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by cheetah
Actually none of you would get anywhere. There's not any air for you motor to use so your not gonna get too far.

Duh, but you could build a motor to run on something like acetylene, and carry a bottle. You'd need a huge bottle though.

Kilabanshee
05-05-2003, 11:42 AM
hahah i wish i could rip up mars. I bet some of those dunes on mars r huge . Ahhhhhhhhhh goin of a 300 foot dune and landing like a pilow.