PDA

View Full Version : What are all the mods you can put into a quad in order to increase power?

DaveEX7
04-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Just as the question says.....

Im wandering what else I can put into an engine besides a pipe, filter, jets, and so on.....

Also lemme hear what some of you guys did to your engines.

AndrewRRR
04-22-2003, 11:52 AM
As the saying goes "speed cost money... how fast do you wanna go?"
Basically an engine is an air pump. Start by making it breathe better. Free up the intake (better air intake, filter, carb, etc). Make sure everything lines up and there aren't any restrictions by mismatched components (especially with things like carb boots).
Then free up the exhaust with a headpipe (or expansion chamber on a 2 stroke) and a muffler. More free flowing will tend to gain hp while smaller diamater will gain more torque. Again, make sure the exhaust pipe is matched well to the exhaust pipe.

Now you are ready for some internal work. Port the head. If you have to ask how, have a reputable shop do it. Leave the intake rough, polish the exhaust to your heart's content. Sometimes oversize valves can help the motor breathe also. Add a cam, more life and duration= more air/fuel going into the motor. Sometimes this will require stiffer valve springs and hardened rockers. You may also want to raise the rev limiter if your powerband is still going strong when the stock rev limiter kicks in or you need a little more overrev. You can also either mill the head or get a high compression piston to add power, especially on bottom end. Make sure everything is matched well and suited for your style of riding.
After the engine breathes to full capacity, if you aren't satisfied you can go to alternative fuels like methanol (alky). It will require a fuel pump, carb mods, and possibly some stronger engine components, but can yield a 20% power gain over gas. Some guys (drag only of course) use 80% methanol and 20% nitromethane (NEVER go over 20% in a quad).
The things you can do to an engine are practially limitless.

CHAUNCY
04-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
As the saying goes "speed cost money... how fast do you wanna go?"
The things you can do to an engine are practially limitless.

250EXking
04-22-2003, 12:09 PM
bigger carbs and more air intake. if needed boring bike .20 or .40 over. like the 440ex. but yeah like the others said, intake and carbs and pistons. maybe a rev box to.

4wheelboy
04-23-2003, 03:46 AM
get race gas AND hook a bottle of octane boost up or sume NOS:D

wilkin250r
04-23-2003, 09:57 AM
nitrous oxide, baby. I got a little 250x that will lift the front wheels in 3rd gear when I hit the button, imagine what it can do on a bigger quad!!:cool:

DaveEX7
04-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
nitrous oxide, baby. I got a little 250x that will lift the front wheels in 3rd gear when I hit the button, imagine what it can do on a bigger quad!!:cool:

:eek2: