View Full Version : threaded preload

Max400
04-22-2003, 09:03 AM
I'm looking to get a pair of Works triple rate shocks W/O Rezzies. they don't come with threaded preload, but for an extra $60 you can add the threaded preload. I ride trails and riverbottoms and I want to know if I should pay the extra and get the preload or what? thanks for any help..........

wilkin250r
04-22-2003, 10:07 AM
Get the preload. It will allow you to adjust your suspension and ride height.

I'm not an expert, but I'd never even consider getting aftermarket suspension without a preload adjustment. If your quad sits too high, or your suspension is too hard or too soft, then you need something to adjust. Not only that, but you often find yourself riding different types of terrain, and you will most certainly improve your riding skills. The more adjustments you have, the more you can adapt. I'm not saying that you need top of the line ZPS with adjustable compression and rebound, but certainly get SOME type of adjustability.

boogiechile
04-22-2003, 10:14 AM
the preload will be adjustable wether you get a threaded preload or not. The threaded just makes it easier to adjust.

Max400
04-22-2003, 11:19 AM
the preload will be adjustable wether you get a threaded preload or not. The threaded just makes it easier to adjust.

How do you adjust the preload without the threaded preload? do you have to use a spanner wrench or something to adjust the preload, the threaded preload looks like it has nut of sorts on top of the shock so you can do it by hand! does anyone have any close up pics of this shocks? the pics on their website are not to clear.............thanks for the help guys

P.S. what color of springs would you get? I like the black with white on top!

toby400ex
04-22-2003, 12:18 PM
i beleive that nut you are talkin about is the compression and rebound, not the preload.

Chef
04-22-2003, 12:28 PM
The spring colors are directly related to the weight and set up of the shocks I believe.

Max400
04-22-2003, 03:01 PM
toby400ex this is the nut I was talking about!!!

boogiechile
04-24-2003, 04:31 AM
Max400, That is the preload adjuster that you have pointed at. It is the threaded type but if you don't get it the preload is set by changing the groove that the retaining clip is in. The top of the shock has many grooves and a clip is used in one of the grooves to hold the spring retainer in position. The same clip holds the threded preload retainer if you get it. There is a plus side and a negative side to running a threaded preload. The plus is that you can adjust the preload a certain amount by just turning the large spanner hut in stead of removing the clip and putting it in a different groove. (Changing clip location is also very easy.) The down side is that the threaded collar that the clip holds extends down more or less into the spring as you adjust preload and this changes the distance that the crossover rings travel before they hit the stop (which is the threaded collar). This can have a significant effect on suspension action. For example, if you had a half inch of spring compression before the top spring crossover hit the stop that spring would work for the first half inch of shock compression from ride heigth and then crossover to the next spring. Now if you have threaded preaload and you lower your quad a little taking up a half inch of travel, you have eliminated the top spring from having any more compression and it would not even work when taking hits. It would work some when the suspension drops on jumps but would hit the stop much faster on the landing making it less effective. However if you had used the standard clip adjuster instead of the threaded type the same lowering would not have effected the amount of travel to the crossover. I have used both and prefer the standard over the threaded on a Works shock. All this is not true for every brand of shock because some use a threaded body insted of the clip grooves. You said you were looking at Works tripples without rez, those have clip type adjusters. I would save my 60 bucks but it is your decission.

Max400
04-24-2003, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the info:D