View Full Version : TCS Shocks

pane2k
04-22-2003, 07:25 AM
hey guys whats going on, look i know we all hate these suspension threads but im getting ready to buy my suspension for this season. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. ELKA or TCS. Im leaning towards TCS though because of the price diffrence. Please if you have any input please respond.
IM NOT LOOKING TO START ANY FIGHTS LOL!
Thanks
John

P.s. if any of you have experience with both shocks please let me know the positives and negatives on both companies.
Thankyou

Guy400
04-22-2003, 07:54 AM
Not that I'm a pro level racer and could tell the difference but I went with TCS long travels. The primary reason for this decision was because of the price difference. I may well have gone with Elka had they not told all their retailers that they cannot sell their shocks below the retail price Elka sets. However, some shops seem to still sell Elka shocks below this retail price so I guess you have to shop around. Another reason I decided to go with TCS was because of some of the valving issues that Elka is still dealing with. Some guys buy Elka's and they're great for them but others seem to hate them. It just seems you hear more anti-Elka banter than you do anti-Axis/TCS/PEP, etc. You can't go wrong with either one, especially when you're comparing them with stockers. In the end it's your money and spend it where you feel most comfortable.

DESDAK4
04-22-2003, 08:05 AM
If you don't mind me asking. What is the price difference between the two on average? Also are the you talking zero preload and like comp adj on both shocks or what. I am shopping also and was just wondering.

Thanks,
Jay
USAF
AMMO

Guy400
04-22-2003, 08:16 AM
I got long travel, 5/8" shaft, triple rate, remote rezzies with compression adjustment, zps, etc. I can't really say what I paid for mine exactly but the retail cost between the two shocks was roughly $250 (with Elka being more obviously). I will say that with the Elka long travels you get them with quad rate springs opposed to the triple rate of the TCS's.

QuadTrix6
04-22-2003, 08:18 AM
i would prefer TCS for pretty much exactly what guy400 said

04-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Does TCS manufactur their own hardware now??

Either way ya can't go wrong both are good shocks..

DESDAK4
04-22-2003, 08:28 AM
Well I will most likely be doing some return business with C&D to get them I was just trying to get a feel for the difference, which you gave me. Also are all TCS shocks 5/8" shafts?

Thanks Again,
Jay
USAF
AMMO

racerx573
04-22-2003, 08:28 AM
If you have the money gat Axis, you'll never want anything else. I've ridden Elka (own a set), TCS, PEP, and Works. And after getting my Axis, I don't think I'd ever get anything else.

pane2k
04-22-2003, 08:56 AM
hey guys thanks for the responses..haha and no i dont have the money for axis lol. And hey Rico i do believe that TCS manufacturers there own hardware now. And by the way congrats on the WIN!

Thanks guy
john

Guy400
04-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Yes, you can TCS's in 5/8" shafts and they do make their own bodies now.

Again, I'm not bashing Elka in the slightest. But for the price difference between the two shocks I couldn't justify buying the Elka's.

Spency400
04-22-2003, 09:55 AM
I went with TCS and just got them the other day. I can't give you a review, but can tell you they took 5 weeks to get and were 750 beans without shipping.

pane2k
04-22-2003, 01:30 PM
spency 750 plus shipping is rediculous..u got ripped. C&D sells em for 690 plus shipping and i bet if u looked around you could prolly beat that.
What did you order directly from TCS?
Who did you order the shocks from?

Chef
04-22-2003, 01:43 PM
My TCS SCS fronts were like 800 bucks to me. My rear SCS was only like 525 (Ebay is godlike.)

forum
04-22-2003, 01:46 PM
whats scs?? is it tcs?

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by forum
whats scs?? is it tcs?

SCS = Sag Control Series...its their word for ZPS is I remember correctly ;)

Anyways, I vote for TCS over Elka :D

terko440
04-22-2003, 02:21 PM
You can too get TCS in quadrates and C@D does not sell them for 690.00. I called them and they said 800 smackers. Just so everyone is clear.

Guy400
04-22-2003, 02:27 PM
I think we've gotten our apples and oranges mixed up here. I think the $690 price that was quoted was for a different TCS shock than the one we're discussing.

forum
04-22-2003, 03:07 PM
to clear a view things up. Elka isn't dealing with valving issues. more springrate issues. THe problem comes when people don't explain there riding style good enough to the reps. so they set the spring rate too stiff. They set them up for pro level racers. And elka would gladly send you a free set of softer main springs if the're shocks were to stiff

pane2k
04-22-2003, 04:33 PM
oh sorry abou that i thought he talking about regular length not long travel.

Spency400
04-23-2003, 05:14 AM
I ordered them from Denton Racing.

QuadTrix6
04-23-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by forum
to clear a view things up. Elka isn't dealing with valving issues. more springrate issues. THe problem comes when people don't explain there riding style good enough to the reps. so they set the spring rate too stiff. They set them up for pro level racers. And elka would gladly send you a free set of softer main springs if the're shocks were to stiff

what kind of questions are they asking ? PEP asked me a lot of questions but they were easy to answer, what are people saying to confuse elka ..not flaming im just curious

Dave400ex
04-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Guy400 what kind of LT arms did you go with? I have been thinking about getting some standard travel arms, but I just had an idea and figured if I could sell my Elka's I have now and stock arms I could get $650 for both. Then I could get PEP ZPS LT shocks with the Arens LT arms for $1,500. I would need around $850...

Guy400
04-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Dave, I don't have any a-arms yet. John (Aren's) arms should be done here shortly so I'm buying a set of those when they're released.

haydug
04-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Call Todd at TCS, he sets up the best suspension out there, he asks a bunch of queastions also. I can get them for you, PM me for a price, or call TCS direct, tell Todd that Doug sent you.I have tried PEP, Axis and TCS, and TCS are my FAVORITE by far. The axis feels to soft for me, don't handle the big jumps. Yes they were all set up for me to. Also you can't beat the price of the TCS.

Ben
04-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Yes, I also recommend going with TCS. They are a major sponsor of the upcoming EXriders Project 400ex. :D Todd (one of the TCS guys) is very friendly and extremely positive about EXriders, not to mention his knowledge of suspension setups is second to none. He talked me through exactly what I need for my suspension setup. :D

haydug
04-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Hey Ben, how's it going? Glad to see you are coming along OK with the project. You will love the TCS and the FDO motor. I'm dialing my bike in this weekend, may be up your way on Sat. if they are racing.

racerx573
04-23-2003, 05:44 PM
I believe TCS uses Custom Axis bodies..they look very similar anyhow.

pane2k
04-23-2003, 06:01 PM
no, i dont think so, i think theyve developed all their own components this time around. I think they were using Works parts, and then even Elka parts at one time, but i believe they started using all of their own components. They might be similar to axis tho....:confused:

Ben
04-24-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by haydug
Hey Ben, how's it going? Glad to see you are coming along OK with the project. You will love the TCS and the FDO motor. I'm dialing my bike in this weekend, may be up your way on Sat. if they are racing.

Doug, everything is going well. The support on this project bike has been great! :D I am putting up the Project 400ex section hopefully today. :blah You going to Pyramid Valley this weekend (or are you talking about Milton)? Let me know which one if you are going for sure and I'll look for you (not sure which one we are going to). I still have to get those blank contracts you asked for - don't worry, I'll send them today. :) BTW, do you know the exact size of these wheels (including offset), and the make and width of these a-arms (I am sure they are extended)?

Ben

Dave400ex
04-24-2003, 12:22 PM
Ben what type of riding is the Project 400ex going to be setup for, XC or MX? TCS seems like a good choice on suspension. Let us know how the shocks work out because $800 for LT shocks is an awesome price.

Ben
04-24-2003, 12:26 PM
This quad is going to be setup as a XC/trails quad. Very little (but some) MX in its future. I'll be sure to let you know how the ride is - but their reputation leads me to be positive this is going to be one sweet handling quad. They are making, in my opinion, shocks that as good as, if not a little better than, Elkas - and for a good deal less money (especially since the Elka price increase). For my money I'll go with TCS every time over Elka. They even look sweet and the wait time is very short :D

04-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Ben
This quad is going to be setup as a XC/trails quad. Very little (but some) MX in its future. I'll be sure to let you know how the ride is - but their reputation leads me to be positive this is going to be one sweet handling quad. They are making, in my opinion, shocks that as good as, if not a little better than, Elkas - and for a good deal less money (especially since the Elka price increase). For my money I'll go with TCS every time over Elka. They even look sweet and the wait time is very short :D

Great choice BEN! I hear great things about TCS.

pane2k
04-24-2003, 01:38 PM
im waitin for my set to get here :)

Dave400ex
04-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Yeah let me know how they work on the trails. I want to get a LT setup...

pane2k
04-24-2003, 04:31 PM
yeah, i got a regular setup for now, but ill prolly eventaully do LT. Not right now though. Didnt have the cash available

flying400ex
05-08-2003, 10:13 AM
waiting on mine to....!!!!

zzbudzz
05-08-2003, 02:06 PM
waiting on mine too! .....again!:mad: :ermm: