PDA

View Full Version : SOLID 416 Advice needed Quick.

kaneman23
04-22-2003, 06:23 AM
I need some advice on a 416 kit to wake up my tired 400. I know they are all about the same but I want to make sure I will be able to run on pump gas after it's built. I'm interested in the Ross and JE pistons but I don't know which one is better for my riding style. I know the Ross is lighter and will rev faster but how durable? What are your opinions on the Ross and JE pistons? What about a cam? I've considered the HotCam Stage 2, Webcam 450/451 grind, TC racing, and the XR400. Most of the riding I do is woods/trails w/ a lot of hill climbs. Low end torque is probably most important for this application but I still want to be able to hang w/my Raptor buddies in the long straights.

Next I want/need some head work. I want to replace the valve seals and also get it ported and polished. Is there anything else I should do w/the head? Do I really need stiffer valve springs or hardened rockers? What will this work cost?

Your Opinions and help is appreciated!

CranMan
04-22-2003, 06:29 AM
Stay around 11:1 or less on the compression ratio and you can run on pump gas.

I've heard head work isn't necessary or useful if you don't at least have a aftermarket carb and probably a full exhaust system as well.

As for the cam, I have a xr400. I know there's probably better ones now, but just FYI my 416 can smoke a stock raptor, and give a piped and jetted one all it wants....

kaneman23
04-22-2003, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! I have an e-series slip on but I plan to combine it with a powerbomb head pipe soon. Also, I have plans for a 39FCR. Thanks again for the help. That is the exact type of answer I was looking for!:D

UglyMotha™
04-22-2003, 06:45 AM
my motor is listed below bottom end is great but what is really impressive is the hit at mid to top i was surprised at how hard it actually pulls it's like ridding a 4 stroke with a 2 stroke powerband:huh the only thing i was kinda dissapointed about was if you really want to take advantage of the lowend power you have to keep the revs up but other than that my bike has impressed many so far, matter of fact i ran into a piped kfx this weekend and he wouldn't even give me the satisfaction of stomping his ***

if you go with a hotcam you won't need hardend rockers or stiffer springs just some food for thought

i'm still running running 93 octane with 10.8 JE

Castor-426ex
04-22-2003, 06:46 AM
one thing is true the stage 2 cam does not like to be played with at low rpm

rev it and go and itll pull ungodly

UglyMotha™
04-22-2003, 06:50 AM
and if you want to take advantage of it's high reving power you definantly need a larger carb and open the head up and a larger header to take full advantage

kaneman23
04-22-2003, 06:53 AM
Thanks bro! Awesome reply.. I think this will be my new setup!

Castor-426ex
04-22-2003, 06:53 AM
are you happy with the port and polish from c and d?

how much was it and did they pretty much rebuild the head?

UglyMotha™
04-22-2003, 07:06 AM
ya i was actually pretty pleased with the port job from c&d i think it ran me like 150 or 165 i'm not for sure it was a while back he replaced the valve seals for me too i was pretty impressed when i got it back i took pictures of it before i sent it and it looks like he took quite a bit out the only thing complaint i have is i sent it to him with leaky exhaust seals but now thats fixed but now the right intake valve seal is leaking:huh i wouldn't necessarily blame it on colby cause it didn't do it when i had my stock cam in it during my break-in but a week later when i put in my hot cam that's when it started doin it so everytime i start it after it has set for a day it will smoke for a minute or so then i can ride it all day without a single puff of smoke but the good news is it seems to smoke less and less with each start up so i guess maybe that oring is swelling back up

so to sum it all up if i was to do it again i would, he did a good job for the money

04-22-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha

i'm still running running 93 octane with 10.8 JE

If ya ever get the chance..run some 105+ octane in the SOB and you'll chit your pants...:eek:

Castor-426ex
04-22-2003, 07:14 AM
by the look on his face hes about to **** his pants:D

UglyMotha™
04-22-2003, 07:26 AM
lmao, actually that's the look of constapation

as for the 105 i'm still saving up so i can go and fill up 5gal can and the local gulf that stuff is like 4 some bucks for a gal geeze this fo wheela crap sure is a drain on the ole checking account:confused2

Glamis400ex
04-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Castor426,

could you please elaborate alittle more on the the stage 2 hotcam and low rpm"s. Now you have me thinkin about my set up.

Glamis

JD400exrider
04-22-2003, 01:27 PM
If your thinking of going with the stage 1 or the xr 400 cam. You might want to look at the HRC cam. It is real close to the stage 2 cam (by numbers) but i don't think you loose or have to rev as much for the low end. I will let you know soon. Just got my 416 back and will be breaking it in friday or saturday. I had it ported new valve seals Je 10.8-1 piston, new cam chain, heavy duty clutch springs and HRC cam. The HRC cam is a drop in. The flange comes on it along with the decompression like the xr 400 cam. The cost of the cam is a little pricey. 275.00 planet honda. 270.00 from service honda. It is a honda part though ;)

UglyMotha™
04-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
Castor426,

could you please elaborate alittle more on the the stage 2 hotcam and low rpm"s. Now you have me thinkin about my set up.

Glamis

stage 2 is basically a mid to top end cam i had her out this weekend for the first time and noticed if i didn't keep the r's up top she tended to bog down real quick climbing the hills but if you revved her up where she likes it ya better look out

kinda reminded me of riding an R or banshee

RAPTORAZ
04-22-2003, 03:11 PM
My Ross/Stage II Hot Cam combo has been bulletproof since assembly. However in long straights or long drags, this is the only angle you're gonna see of a properly jetted piped Raptor.

hawiianpwr
04-22-2003, 03:19 PM
Hey ugly how much do you weigh? I'm thinking of getting the stage two also. I weigh 140lbs and was wondering since I dont that much that my bike would lose that much low end bacause its not pulling that much weight.

UglyMotha™
04-23-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by hawiianpwr
Hey ugly how much do you weigh? I'm thinking of getting the stage two also. I weigh 140lbs and was wondering since I dont that much that my bike would lose that much low end bacause its not pulling that much weight.

heh, i'm 21 goin on 22 and i only weight 115 give or take i'm no bigger than a popcorn fart :eek2:

it's not that you loose bottom end i feel as if i gained bottom end the only thing is if you want to take advantage of it you gotta keep the motor up in the rpms if you don't rev it then your gonna loose that power

YZROOSTINYA
04-23-2003, 04:01 AM
i WAS GONNA SAY MY PULLS FINE DOWN LOW BUT IT REVS ALOT MORE AND PULLS HARDER UP TOP. YOU CAN HOLD EACH GEAR LONGER

woops with caps

kaneman23
04-23-2003, 04:17 AM
115?! Your quad should seriously HAUL! No wonder you are beating Raptors! My big *** is over 230lbs and it takes a lot more energy to get my quad moving.

UglyMotha™
04-23-2003, 04:33 AM
ya i don't normally tell everyone my winning secret but yup i'm 5'-8" and weighin in at only 115 is definantly quite the advantage but

nobody ever considers that cause i look considerably larger once in full riding gear:confused2 :huh

YZROOSTINYA
04-23-2003, 06:06 AM
McDonalds should be your new best friend I am 190

UglyMotha™
04-23-2003, 06:26 AM
if you only knew how much i eat, i got my own corner office with a stocked fridge behind me and i sit on my *** in front of this computer for 10hrs 5 days a week eating and drinking coke, you would think i would have put on some weight but not an ounce, i think i gotta wacked metabolism:rolleyes:

TheChknhwk
04-23-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha
if you only knew how much i eat, i got my own corner office with a stocked fridge behind me and i sit on my *** in front of this computer for 10hrs 5 days a week eating and drinking coke, you would think i would have put on some weight but not an ounce, i think i gotta wacked metabolism:rolleyes:

Whacked metabolism?!? If I chit that much I would have hemeroids the size of cocoanuts:huh On topic note, good info about the 416. I be wantin' one myself.

hawiianpwr
04-23-2003, 01:56 PM
hey every 10lbs theoretically equals 1hp

hawiianpwr
04-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Hey ugly if you dont mind me asking how much did the work on your motor run you? Did you do it yourself?

TRX_Thumper
04-23-2003, 02:10 PM
before doing any headwork check these sites out and read every bit of it

http://mototuneusa.com/success_stories.htm

http://mototuneusa.com/think_fast_intake_porting.htm

kaneman23
04-23-2003, 03:46 PM
That website gives me a headache. Not only is the black background and colored text extremely annoying but there is entirely too much crap to read through. Just give me the facts please.... Not that he doesn't have some good info, but he really needs to reformat the site.

lilpoppy
04-23-2003, 04:13 PM
There is soo much garbage on there that I can't force myself to read through it. If you could sum it up for us that would be very helpfull.

Castor-426ex
04-23-2003, 07:28 PM
dont read through it take the stuff to a reputable shop....then no worries....especially with porting...

doin the other motor work is no biggie

UglyMotha™
04-24-2003, 01:09 AM
Hey ugly if you dont mind me asking how much did the work on your motor run you? Did you do it yourself?

i did all the work myself cept for the head and carb had those both sent out i've got about 700 in the motor not including the exhaust and i still want to get a H.D. timing chain and a clutch kit and maybe a fcr39 next year

kargaaro
04-24-2003, 01:32 AM
I completely agree with my Stage 2 416. You need to be on it to pull through the top half of the gearing. I was thinking of trying a 14 tooth sprocket on the front. Has anyone else tried this??

hawiianpwr
04-24-2003, 10:31 AM
would you guys still recommend the stage 2 over the stage 1. Another question, how does it idle? smooth, kinda rough?

TRX_Thumper
04-24-2003, 10:50 AM
to sum it all up...during break in run em hard...i did my new 400....runs great..also..,...he has proven that smaller ports are better than having them enlargened and polished...take the time an read it all you could find alot of horsepower.....because a flowbench doesnt measure the flow at the right time in the 4 stroke engine sequence...its like this...if your header was 5 inch diameter would it have more power or would the stock header have more power??
...its hard for me to explain but read the site an sign up for the newsletter its some very good info

UglyMotha™
04-25-2003, 01:19 AM
would you guys still recommend the stage 2 over the stage 1. Another question, how does it idle? smooth, kinda rough?

i don't know what the stage 1 is like so i can't recommend one or the other but i'm happy with my setup

after i droped the cam in at idle it now sounds and feels like a sputtering harley at idle

Glamis400ex
04-25-2003, 12:45 PM
after i droped the cam in at idle it now sounds and feels like a sputtering harley at idle

Mine already sounds like that with my DMC..

Glamis