PDA

View Full Version : good steering stem?

lil400exman
04-22-2003, 01:21 AM
ok i am looking around at stems i want a strong stem weight isnt a big factor price is too i wnat to stay under 350 bucks if possible i want one that is strong and wont bend in a rollover. Also what swingarm do you all reccomend? i want strength and easy to grease bearings (grese zerk in carrie but i want a swingarm with the hole in the back to do that i want to spend a maximum of 700 on it..............................:)

MXQUAD294
04-22-2003, 02:12 AM
Houser, Laeger, Arens, Bugard, etc. would all be fine for both the stem or swingarm. I'm not sure who makes a swingarm with the hole in the back for easy access to the grease zerk- I think RPM has the hole in the back, but don't quote me on that one. As far as not bending a stem in a roll over- that all depends on the severity of the roll. Use cheap handle bars. I run Renthal Fat Bars-which seem to be pretty resistant to bending. I bend my chrome LSR stem but not the bars- the wreck was somewhat spectacular though:D

04-22-2003, 04:49 AM
Best priced stem on the market I believe is Meszaro's...standard or anti-vibe..

Houser is the only swingarm's that I know of that comes with zerks for the needle bearings...:ermm:

lil400exman
04-22-2003, 07:12 AM
does houser swingarm strong? i dont know anything about houser componets........................so theryre 100% greaseable?:) :confused:

04-22-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
so theryre 100% greaseable?:) :confused:

Yes,,,,,,,his A-arms and Swingarms come with plenty of grease zerks and are good products in my mind.. Here's a pic of mine before it was installed..

lil400exman
04-22-2003, 07:33 AM
thanks rico also what kind of carrier does you run in it? tapered or dual row? i want durability and ease of working on i dont want to spend 3 hours just greasing the swingarm....................:eek:

04-22-2003, 08:26 AM
Well a tapered carrier is the way to go if you don't change your sprockets out. I do so I had to go with a dual row carrier and it's workin like a champ so far...

QuadTrix6
04-22-2003, 08:51 AM
besides strenght and zerks are there any other advantages over stock besides the extra lenght factor ?

400MXer
04-22-2003, 11:07 AM
Well, i believe most people upgrade their swingarm because they want strenght, zerks, and their desired length.

I have an RPM swingarm and it's awsome. I can't really tell you how durable it is as of yet because i'm waiting on a few KEY parts to arrive before i can ride on mine.

As for the steering stem, pretty much all aftermarket stems are gonna be stronger than stock. but they are also like 4-6 times as much money. Laeger, RPM, Roll Design, Walsh, Houser, Burgard all make good steering stems. There are some that i left out of course. I've seen Burgard stems on Ebay for really good prices.

300exTJjeeper
04-22-2003, 12:03 PM
I run a Houser Stem, as it's awesome.
A much better than the flimsy stock stem and alot more easier onthe hands because of the rubber bushing on it.

Good Luck

Str8Wicked
04-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by 300exTJjeeper
I run a Houser Stem, as it's awesome.
A much better than the flimsy stock stem and alot more easier onthe hands because of the rubber bushing on it.

Good Luck

and believe me when I say 300exTJjeeper needs his hands smooth..... he's a switch hitter if ya know what I mean...

J/K---- How'd you guys do at Gorman this past weekend, we decided not to roll out to El Mirage this coming weekend... I think we may be hitting Glamis up thou in 2-3 weeks if your interested in rolling out with us...

You should have stuck around for a bit longer this past weekend with us....and watched the beer kick in....... lol

muff
04-22-2003, 12:36 PM
burgard for $200

havent gotten mine yet but its on the way

http://www.qis.net/~harlen/burgard/400EX.html

methyman
04-22-2003, 12:55 PM
The stems are cheaper on ebay. They are a buy it now for $175.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=2412007726

300exTJjeeper
04-22-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
and believe me when I say 300exTJjeeper needs his hands smooth..... he's a switch hitter if ya know what I mean...

J/K---- How'd you guys do at Gorman this past weekend, we decided not to roll out to El Mirage this coming weekend... I think we may be hitting Glamis up thou in 2-3 weeks if your interested in rolling out with us...

You should have stuck around for a bit longer this past weekend with us....and watched the beer kick in....... lol

Like WOW, my hands are getting there, just little rusty right now.

Gorman went pretty cool, except Tazz ****ted in his pants, hahah

Sweet day of riding, we left around 3, Tazz wasn't feeling to good.

As fas Glamis is concen, We are planning a trip out there on May 3rd for the weekened.
It's my B day so it should be a blast out there, trying to get some friends and hopefuly some exriders for a weekened of riding. I'll be posting up sometime next week on that to see how I cna round up for the trip out there.

Mr_Bub400ex
04-23-2003, 06:03 PM
http://www.atvfourplay.com try some of their stuff it looks good i wanna get some of it

400MXer
04-24-2003, 03:28 AM
yeah, atv fourplays stem is 285, and chromed.

http://www.atvfourplay.com/steeringstems.php

Smoker
04-24-2003, 04:06 AM
You can get the Arens anti-vibe for $240 and I bent my bars and broke my arm but the Arens never bent (maybe if it did I would have titanium on my bike instead of in my arm). :p

BigAl
04-24-2003, 01:54 PM
What do you mean about changing out sprockets being a problem with the tapered Brg. carriers?

Is that because you lose some chain adjustment, or some other thing I haven't heard about?

Dave400ex
04-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Get an Arens. I am picking up an Arens stem at Red Bud next weekend. I'll let ya know how it works...

04-28-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by BigAl
What do you mean about changing out sprockets being a problem with the tapered Brg. carriers?

Is that because you lose some chain adjustment, or some other thing I haven't heard about?

The tapered carriers have such large bearings in them..you loose adjustments with changing out sprockets.. Going from a 15 tooth to a 14 adds lots of slack in the chain that has to be taken up..and a tapered carrier probably won't work...

BigAl
04-28-2003, 06:14 AM
I had always heard you lose some adj. with the tapered carriers, but I have never seen one up close to know what the difference is.

Thanks for clearing that up.