PDA

View Full Version : Rumors of Honda's new sport quad

GETSOME
04-21-2003, 05:20 PM
Looking over the last 6 months of Dirtwheels I have seen a couple of rumors about what powerplant might land its way in honda's new sport quad. The crf 450 and the xr650 have been mentioned. What do you guys think? I am putting my bet on the xr650. It requires much less maintenence than the crf and would make a raptor look pretty silly.

Moto92
04-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Looks to me like they are more worried about making faster jet skis than faster quads.

GETSOME
04-21-2003, 05:27 PM
Big 10-4! I'm getting tired of waiting on em.

CHAUNCY
04-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by fearthisracer
Looks to me like they are more worried about making faster jet skis than faster quads.

Me too. Anyone wanna take any bets Yamaha's new quad will be out before Honda's ?

Moto92
04-21-2003, 05:42 PM
prolly be out THEN Honda will start working on one :mad:

CHAUNCY
04-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by fearthisracer
prolly be out THEN Honda will start working on one :mad:

Sad but probably true:rolleyes:

RIDER11X
04-21-2003, 05:55 PM
There is also a rumor going around on ATVCONNECTION I think, that KTM is working on developing a sport quad and a street bike. I'd like a 525 EXC quad!!:eek2: That would send everyone back to the drawing board if it's like the one in ATV SPORT last year!:D

400grl
04-21-2003, 06:14 PM
You know - I don't mind waiting for Honda....I know that if I buy a first year model, that it will have already been torture tested and the bugs will have been worked out already - and it's going to last. I believe this more and more every day that goes by that I see the problems the other quads are having all around me - over and over - but my Honda is still running strong and has never had any problems beyond a loose nut here or a dirty connection there. I was impatient a while ago....it's hard to watch other companies come out with cool new quads, and have my friends buy them and brag about how much better they are because they are newer or have more cc's. But they stop bragging when their quad won't start anymore, or it's in the shop for the n'th time when it's only 2 months old, or they break off their shift shaft during a race or have to gusset their frame after a month of riding. I don't feel so bad when I go out to the garage and see my red beast sitting there - all in one piece - and ready to roll with one push of a button. Nope.....not bad at all. SO.......Honda - take your time. I know it's going to be worth it.:cool: ;)

CHAUNCY
04-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
There is also a rumor going around on ATVCONNECTION I think, that KTM is working on developing a sport quad and a street bike. I'd like a 525 EXC quad!!:eek2: That would send everyone back to the drawing board if it's like the one in ATV SPORT last year!:D

That would be awesome to have a KTM 525 quad:eek2:

Mr_Bub400ex
04-21-2003, 06:17 PM
i dunno 400grl, are u sure bolts arent starting to fly off after u put the raptor hood on?

jk:D

Castor-426ex
04-21-2003, 06:20 PM
if they have the new quad show us SOMETHING....cmon a seat...a light.....i dont care...i need substance....im tired and i want more power....NOW:D

AndrewRRR
04-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Honda wants to sell off the 10 billion 400ex's they made first, which will never happen because everyone else has brought out faster quads. :grr

GETSOME
04-21-2003, 06:33 PM
Economics 101 says that honda has to get into the market with something new soon. I started this thread because I wanted to know what everyone else thought might be selected for a powerplant for this future quad.

CHAUNCY
04-21-2003, 06:41 PM
I think it will probably be a crf450 deborred to a 440 with electric start. It might be a 450 with a kicker but I think electric will sell more also Yamaha has the wr440 with electric start so Honda will have to compete.Also the 440 will be "race legal".

Brad
04-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
You know - I don't mind waiting for Honda....I know that if I buy a first year model, that it will have already been torture tested and the bugs will have been worked out already - and it's going to last. I believe this more and more every day that goes by that I see the problems the other quads are having all around me - over and over - but my Honda is still running strong and has never had any problems beyond a loose nut here or a dirty connection there. I was impatient a while ago....it's hard to watch other companies come out with cool new quads, and have my friends buy them and brag about how much better they are because they are newer or have more cc's. But they stop bragging when their quad won't start anymore, or it's in the shop for the n'th time when it's only 2 months old, or they break off their shift shaft during a race or have to gusset their frame after a month of riding. I don't feel so bad when I go out to the garage and see my red beast sitting there - all in one piece - and ready to roll with one push of a button. Nope.....not bad at all. SO.......Honda - take your time. I know it's going to be worth it.:cool: ;)
amen

jamiesel
04-21-2003, 06:52 PM
I know that if I buy a first year model, that it will have already been torture tested and the bugs will have been worked out already

That is something I have not thought of before and she makes a really good point.

I was at LRD today and overheard Butch talking about how companies like fmf always have a pipe out a few days after a new model quad and then releases a 2nd version a year later after it has ben properly designed and that is why they are slow to come out with theirs 6-8 months).

I do think Honda could continue selling 400ex quads while a 650 was out there but they may sandbag the 450 untill more 400's are gone but honda has so much money they may NEVER make a racing quad again, they simply don't need the $ and don't want some California court giving their hard earned money to some victim looking for a freeride.

RIDER11X
04-21-2003, 07:06 PM

DITTO!!! True Honda fans will wait and most likley be rewarded with a Quality quad!:D

Castor-426ex
04-21-2003, 07:33 PM
or trx 50ex:eek:

EX Fanatic
04-21-2003, 10:19 PM
Way to put it, 400grl!!!!!! Also, I like the way you said it too, RIDER11X! True Honda fans will wait and most likely be rewarded with a quality quad!! One things for sure, I'm definately waiting, because I want a quality quad that I know will hold up!!! ;):)

KAWSAM62
04-22-2003, 01:18 AM
400grls correct ride red!:D

lil400exman
04-22-2003, 02:16 AM
it will come people dont be girls and whine that it wont get built.Ever see the guests browsing? I know a few of those people must be people from honda looking at what we are doing see what we are wanting and just take it slowly build a frame and engine test it work the bugs out and give it another 1 1/2 years and dont be surprised if honda pops out with a all new quad. I am guessing efi aluminum frame and factory long travel shocks (not aftermarket shocks oem ones) but all thes things i have said before honda has done and wouldnt be that hard to convert and we all know honda will rag every lil nut and bolt on it to make sure this mother will last cause look at 250r's and how well they are built and everything ya know?:) but 400grl i am with ya 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry for the long post i just had to clear my mind of what i think..............

400grl
04-22-2003, 03:52 AM
MrBub! LOL! Yeah - I was worried about that, so I got the red hood - that way it thinks it's Honda plastic!:p

I'm thinking a 450 - although this whole 440cc thing for racing has me wondering......weren't they looking at changing that rule for the national classes?

Glow Plug
04-22-2003, 04:05 AM
very well put 400grl :)

who cares if it takes honda 3 years to come out with something new? you know it will be a great pround that has all of the bugs worked out, how many faulty honda's have you heard of? how many faulty suzuki's have you heard of? yamaha? kawasaki's? so i guess what i am saying it that it will be worth the wait :D

AndrewRRR
04-22-2003, 05:01 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love hondas, and I'll probably never get rid of my R, but as for a new quad, I'll believe it when I see it. I have no doubt Honda is making a new sport quad to comete with, and hopefully dominate the market. But come on, how long does it take? Honda likes to get everything right the first time, but it took them 1 YEAR to bring out the 250r.
Also it's great that people are waiting for Honda to get back into the game. But the majority of the people want a quad now, so they are going to go out and buy something else. Not many people will sell their brand new Z400, raptor, etc. to switch to Honda's quad when they finally come out. It costs 5 times as much to get a new customer as it does to keep an existing one... and Honda is losing customers left and right. :(
Like I said, I'm not trying to bash Honda. They are just pi$$ing me off with how long they are taking with this. They have the capabilities to bring it out sooner, but are pouring all their money into 2 wheelers and PWC's.

airheadedduner
04-22-2003, 08:32 AM
I'm with andrewrrr. I really don't care about honda coming out with a new quad anymore. I will stick with my trusty rusty R:macho

250x#93
04-22-2003, 08:41 AM
I think it will be funny when the quad does come out, everyone that was stupid and impatient and bought a yamaha or suzuki or cannondale, will be jealous of our nice 450ex's or 640'exs with are aluminum frames and no hassles since its a honda, and they will be regretting not waiting a couple of years:devil It will be great:blah

Merriman
04-22-2003, 08:57 AM
I posted this awhile ago, and no one caught on......:huh

"My cousin used to race with Team Temecula Motorsports, that was partially backed by Honda. They were testing new bike/motor combos when he left. He got picked up by the Bombardier / Alba motorsports team now. So he does have factory backing. Word I got from my uncle (his dad) is that they've been in the desert quite a few weekends testing a new quad????? He races with Baja / Score series."

To add to this the Motors that they were testing was the CRF 450, given to them by Honda to put in their 250R style chassis. He told me they were not allowed to race them publicly, but to see what they lacked, and what improvements could be made.:eek:

Take this info for what it's worth.....butt I tink da' r up ta sumtin.:scary:

CHAUNCY
04-22-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Merriman
Take this info for what it's worth.....butt I tink da' r up ta sumtin.:scary:

I sure hope they are!

Tommy 17
04-22-2003, 09:15 AM
thats just how honda is... even in the bike world they let everyone try to top them then once they do they bring out something that it takes another 2 years for the other companies to rush and produce and make unreliable... but honda already has 99% of the bugs worked out and they run forever...

honda also doesn't release any info about their releases on quads till they actually come out... i'm expecting it to be really soon...

also dirtwheels doesn't lie about new quads... they've got everyone right b4...

coryatver
04-22-2003, 09:25 AM
There are hundreds of crf quads in 250r frames. i would think that it would blend right in. but maybe they can't go public becuase they are backed by honda?

thomas
04-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Hi, word I hear is that the new Yamaha 450 with magic button and reverse will be introduced to the public may 15!! By the way pro production limit is 450cc. Can't wait to get my fingers on my new Lonestar KTM 450!!!

400grl
04-22-2003, 09:31 AM
That would be cool to see....but you couldn't pay me to buy that thing the first year it was out....maybe not even the second year! Too many Raptor memories......:blah ;)

SlapNutz
04-22-2003, 09:33 AM
at least thatis wat cuz telled me:macho :mad:

Ralph
04-22-2003, 09:44 AM
:eek:

sportraxrider10
04-22-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Lrd Mx400ex
:eek:

i can't seee:confused2

CHAUNCY
04-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by honda300ex06
i can't seee:confused2

I can but its kinda blury. I see a bike and quad.

Ralph
04-22-2003, 09:52 AM
ON THE TOP IT READS "HONDA 600EX AND CRF450 SPORT QUAD:special report"

Glow Plug
04-22-2003, 09:57 AM
That would be cool to see....but you couldn't pay me to buy that thing the first year it was out....maybe not even the second year! Too many Raptor memories......:blah ;)

but yet you contiune to put yamaha front plastic on your quad tisk tisk 400grl lol

400grl
04-22-2003, 10:01 AM
aWWWwwww......that's not right!!! :eek: LOL! :blah You got me.....(hanging head in shame....but not really!) I am sooooo guilty!:devil ;)

Glow Plug
04-22-2003, 10:03 AM
aWWWwwww......that's not right!!! :eek: LOL! :blah You got me.....(hanging head in shame....but not really!) I am sooooo guilty!:devil ;)

lol :devil

tom400ex
04-22-2003, 10:14 AM
so what are you saying???
rae they gonna make 2 new quads or is that mag bs:confused2

forum
04-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by thomas
Hi, word I hear is that the new Yamaha 450 with magic button and reverse will be introduced to the public may 15!! By the way pro production limit is 450cc. Can't wait to get my fingers on my new Lonestar KTM 450!!!

there you are tom!. One post. Very nicely done. That ktm is gonna rip. If honda or yamaha come out with somthing it wont be much better then the z400. thats just the way these guys work. They just barely beat eachother out so they can spend less on R&D. these guys know what there doing, well know how to make money. And always remmeber thats all there trying to do. THe oonly one that actualy listed to the riders were cannondale and look were they are now. All us atvers beged for such a quad and such a company and then we let them down!. Don't get to excited. It's always better to be surprised then to be let down by some inferior new quad!. but like someone said. the day hondas come out they are already proven.

forum
04-22-2003, 10:17 AM
ya wared you get that picture of the mag?

QuadTrix6
04-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X

i doubt it..after seeing what happend to cannondale i doubt there will be any new companies making quads for the first time for awhile :(

tom400ex
04-22-2003, 10:27 AM
so did dirtwheels do a story or just write that headline
Don't hold out on me man... I'm dieing for some info already :mad:
and im starting to get:grr :mad: :grr :mad:

rideREDrider
04-22-2003, 10:45 AM
i was talkin to tim farr (weather it was really or not im not sure)
on bluetraxx.com an he said that he was pretty sure there coming out with the 450 quad

Ralph
04-22-2003, 11:13 AM
that mag was in dirtwheels and it was a little section advertising the new 2003 buyers guide...

300EX_HMF
04-22-2003, 01:07 PM
I think what honda is doing right now is good!!! Because just think about it. the longer they wait to build this quad, the less problems they will run into in the future! and if they were smart they would wait until yamaha comes out with there powerhouse so that honda will put on better of what they have!! see what i mean. its all about patience!!!!

its not how fast or how much you make products, its how good of quality work is done!!!!

born-to-race
04-22-2003, 01:31 PM
Look at this:

Hope you can read it.

Brad
04-22-2003, 01:39 PM
i can only read the part where it says a 450cc liquid cooled powerplant

Tommy 17
04-22-2003, 01:55 PM
born can u plz type out what that says...

TheRedRebel17
04-22-2003, 02:08 PM
this is what i can tell.

while the photo of Dirt wheel's Chris Mckay's CFR450 engineered Honda looks par. We have heard that Honda will announce some sort of new 2004 high-performance at their annual fall dealer show. Fanatics continue to swirl around this all new machine. Expect to see a 450 Cc liquid cooled four stroke powerplant different than to the CRF 450 motocrossers. Look for a more rugged, a cooler motor to matane the motor for monster torque and ground shaking horsepower. We also expect it to come with a new long travel suspenion and a chassis between the 250R and 400EX.

Thats basically all it says from what i can tell

300EX_HMF
04-22-2003, 02:32 PM
its gona have long travel suspension, and gona use a 250r and 400ex like chassis, 450 liquid cooled motor, and its gona be a empty a wallet quad

AndrewRRR
04-23-2003, 07:17 AM
Wouldn't it be great if we waited this long and they finally come out with the thing and it sucks? hahaha jk :p

Mr_Bub400ex
04-23-2003, 11:26 AM
i hope the price is in between a 400ex and like a raptor... too expensive would suck

PS 400grl: lol i was jp i like the look of ur quad. i once had a yamaha(shudder)

400grl
04-23-2003, 11:32 AM
:D :D :D :D

Yeah....I have two Yamaha's in the family right now....that's the only way to guarantee at least one will be running.....:blah The other one is always naked due to "borrowing" parts off it! :p

born-to-race
04-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Can you read this better?