PDA

View Full Version : 300EX clutch problems

dads400ex
04-21-2003, 01:54 PM
Okay guys help me out here and maybe send me in the right direction on this problem, my sons 300EX's clutch will not disengage completely when pulling on the clutch lever, it is already tight with no play in it, when you fully pull the lever the tires will slide on loose pack when it is in gear but you have to let the clutch out almost all of the way before it will start to roll:confused:
It seems to have no binding in the lever area or at the clutch housing lever area.
I am afraid it has something to do inside of the clutch but I would like some ideas as to what to look for if I end up tearing into it, but of course I need to get a service manual first and I can not seem to find one in either factory at Helm inc. or a clymer manual for the 2002 model.
Any way thanks for any help you can all give.

dads400ex

fuddrucker
04-23-2003, 02:29 AM
Hmm,,,well having to let the clutch out almost all the way before it engages is normal.

Regarding the problem of it NOT disengaging when you squeeze the handle all the way, have you tried to adjust the cable? I know you say that it is tight, but you may need to just adjust the cable one way or the other. The are two places, one is right at the lever, and the other is at the motor. If you follow the cable down, you will see that right in the middle of the motor, the cable will cross it and there will be a small housing with a nut on it. Loosen the nut and adjust the cable there and then tighten it back up. I see that it is a 2002, but I guess there is a slight possibility that the cable could be streched but I think that would be unlikley.

I know when my motor is cold, I have to let it warm up for about 5-10 min. before putting it in first or it will just kill the motor because the clutch will grab and I still have the lever pulled all the way in. I beleive this is a sign that you have a good clutch.

You may have tried all of this already, but that is all I can think of without going inside.

HTH.

dirtmomma
04-23-2003, 02:45 AM
I have a 96' & until it warms up it does the same thing when if i put it in gear while cold. We are thinking we need a new clutch haven't checked it out yet though.

dustnyu17
04-23-2003, 03:57 AM
hey i had the same problem, i took it a part and put new clutches in and added an extra steel spacer in between two clutches to make it thicker. i believe it has 7 clutches and 6 steel spacers. buy a new set and take one of the old spacer and put it between some clutches.

key: c-clutch, s- steel spacer

EX: It supose to be c-s-c-s-c-s-c-s-c-s-c-s-c
but make it c-s-c-s-c-s-s-c-s-c-s-c-s-c