PDA

View Full Version : 2 quads in one truck?

Derek
04-21-2003, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know how to get two 400ex's into a 6 foot bed of a truck. I heard you could piggyback them but Tommy and I arent exactly sure how. We need to get his and mine to rausch.

Tommy 17
04-21-2003, 11:38 AM
i'd pull a trailor again but when i got the truck stuck in the snow we hooked it up to the trailor hitch and in the process it broke something for shorted something out and blew a module that runs the lights on the trailer... so i have no lights to haul a trailer and dont' got 200$ to fix it at the moment...

i'm lookin to find a truck to barrow for the trailor but i dunno if i can so we have plan B piggy back them but how????

Doibugu2
04-21-2003, 11:41 AM
I've seen a S-10 with 2 quads in the back. Talk about a low rider. But all they did was stand them both on the grab bars. Thats how. Just make sure you turn off your gas!:devil

Derek
04-21-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i'd pull a trailor again but when i got the truck stuck in the snow we hooked it up to the trailor hitch and in the process it broke something for shorted something out and blew a module that runs the lights on the trailer... so i have no lights to haul a trailer and dont' got 200$ to fix it at the moment...

i'm lookin to find a truck to barrow for the trailor but i dunno if i can so we have plan B piggy back them but how????

whoops...forgot to explain why we dont just use the trailor..lol

Doibugu2
04-21-2003, 11:58 AM
Not sure what the deal is with your lights. Do the lights on the trailer not work or on your truck?

Either way, you could just rewire them. You can get a kit for like $30 to do both the truck and trailer. If your lights on the truck work, then you can get them to work on the trailer.

Beep54
04-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Very simple to piggy back them, Well really don't really have to

the piggy back method is simple put one quad in and the second quad goes in right behind it but you put the front wheels on the abck of the first quad (i reccomend taking the rear plastics/seat off for this tho)

Methond two would be to stand the first quad up on teh back wheels and the grab bar and leave your tailgate down and pull the second one right behind it on all four, strap them down good and your off to rausch.

third method is to stand both quads up on the back tires and the grab bar then you cna shut your tailgate and have a lil room left for gas and gear.

i suggest method 2 or 3 becasue im not sure if you will have enough room piggy backing them in a 6 foot bed.

Other than that good luck at Rausch and see ya there.

Tommy 17
04-21-2003, 01:47 PM
doibugu the lights on the truck work trailer doesn't... it is very dim at times and others theres nothing.... we had the trailer guy look at it and theres some module that it wires into... i have no clue what he was talkin about but its like 200$ bc my truck is a discontinued model... it looks like the cdi box on a 400ex:confused:

Woodsrider
04-21-2003, 02:27 PM
This is how we do it out here on the left coast;)

Woodsrider
04-21-2003, 02:31 PM
That ther is a 8foot bed. You can still do it in a six footer but prolly wont get the gate shut.

I think some one is jackin ya in the price for the light controller, you can get the control box at Napa for less than $30 and just wire it up yer dam self for free.

Beep54
04-21-2003, 02:39 PM
Haha i like the way you boys over in teheleft coast do things with the quads haha, always gotta have room for that cooler, nice truck too btw.

there ya go derek, if ya take the color out of the picture you can get both your quads in the 6 foot bed with teh tailgate shut, but who wnats to take the cooler out?

Tommy 17
04-21-2003, 02:48 PM
i'll see what i cna do...

Woodsrider
04-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Beep54
Haha i like the way you boys over in teheleft coast do things with the quads haha, always gotta have room for that cooler, nice truck too btw.

there ya go derek, if ya take the color out of the picture you can get both your quads in the 6 foot bed with teh tailgate shut, but who wnats to take the cooler out?

Thanks thats my buddies truck and the Z is his:blah the cooler actually sits down inside we just had it up to get fresh beveravges;) we were at a bladder stop on the interstate headed for the dunes last summer.

CHAUNCY
04-21-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Beep54

LOL
I need to figure out a way to make a platform to hang off the hitch to fit another quad. It wastes to much riding time towing a trailer.

Beep54
04-21-2003, 10:36 PM
What i've seen done alot CHAUNCY, is people make a little platform for their hitch that they can pull their quad up so it sits left to right on the platform. seems to be a cheap and easy thing to do to eliminate the trailor.

just be sure to put two brake lights on the platform somewhere to keep the police happy, friend of mine got pulled over for it even tho all his brake lights were visible:ermm:

buckeye400ex
04-22-2003, 05:47 AM
http://www.atvracks.com/ultimaterack.htm (Side by side facing forward.)
http://www.arpatv.com/index2.html (Quad pac rack, you can put on on your receiver and it also looks like their arched sideways loading rack can be mounted on a 6ft bed.)

Here's my custom made racks, but it's on an 8ft bed. I know lots of people that haul their quads up on their end, but the manufacturers do not recommend that.

muff
04-22-2003, 03:27 PM
this is a 8ft bed but it has a box in it and room left on the tailgate

300EXRocket
04-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Off-road.com did a review of this product, seems like a good idea.

Hitchhand (http://www.off-road.com/atv/HitchHand.htm)

cotttonwoody
04-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Here is what we did.

Brad
04-23-2003, 09:42 AM
get 2 lond strong boards and place the heavies quad in first, load the second quad onto the bed but partially on the boards ive seen it done n a 6ft

toby400ex
04-23-2003, 10:38 AM
I should get a pic of me and my bro and the way we toat our 400's. The first one goes in with the wheels facing the window up on its grab bar. And the second with its wheels facing the tail gate while up on its grab bar. Then we tie them both down really good, they wont move at all, the truck would roll over before they tip out, and then we still have room for a gas can and some riding gear. And still manage to fit 2 extra tires in there too.:eek:

04-24-2003, 07:16 AM
I've put both of my wheelas in my El Camino before. I just set one's front wheels on the roof. And put the other one on sideways with the front end hanging over the passnger side. Just make sure you wire them in good with something heavy like #9 wire, cause that light stuff might break if you hit big chuckholes.

250x#93
04-26-2003, 09:00 AM
There u go tommy, get them loaded up next time at IV and get both ur ***'s down here. HAHA U know thats one thing nice about bikes u don't need a trailer to haul 2:devil