PDA

View Full Version : swing arm skidplate

12-24-2001, 09:39 AM
Who makes the best one? Ive heard PRM is the best ,what do you guys and gals think.My stamped steel one is really getting beat up.

RideRed400EX
12-24-2001, 09:54 AM
Can't comment on PRM skids but they make good bumpers. I run OMF skids from front to back and they are great.

Dave400ex
12-24-2001, 04:47 PM
I run AC on mine and I love them. They have held up great so far. If I was to get different skids, I would get the Pro-Tect skids. They make the swingarm skid out of Stainless steel. Their full body skid is 1/8" thick aluminum. I would get these.

teirboss
12-27-2001, 10:52 AM
AC skids are junk. Dont waist your money. If you ride a ex then you know how low the rear clearance is. Any thing you put on the swing arm is gonna take a terrible beating. And aluminum is a flawed design for this kind of service duty. Spend the extra dough and get the steel one. If the weight of the steel is a concern, then find other ways of shaving weight from other places on your machine to compansate for the weight of the steel plate.

Poncho
12-27-2001, 05:38 PM
Prm is the way to go I have one on my 300 and it is strong!:D

CHAR250R
12-27-2001, 07:16 PM
I have a PRM swing arm skid plate on my 86 350X. It's been on there for at least 6 or 7 years. I got it from PRM when they first opened. I have one on my 400EX and my buddy has one on his 300EX. I had one on my 86 ATC250R, both my 89 Quadracer 500's, my 85 200X, and my first 86 350X. I had a OMF $125.00 Desert skid plate on the 400EX, and it was all twisted up after a couple of rides. It had a warrenty, so I sent it back and got a refund. It was a nice looking skid plate, but it bent up easier than aluminum siding. The PRM stuff is not the best looking skid plate, but it will take a serious *** kicking. I'd like some more info on that stainless skid. I heard it's heavy. Stainless steel is very hard to bend. If it won't bend, I don't mind the added weight. I live and ride in CT, lots of rocks. I ride in PA, also. Lots of rocks there, too. What ever you do, DO NOT buy a DG plate. Big piece of $H#T.