PDA

View Full Version : My Sprockets Won't Line Up!?!

OgleMogley
04-21-2003, 08:25 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. I've contacted Dura-Blue and Lonestar.

Got a +2 swingarm and an X-33 Axle and im having the local shop put it together.. They've finally got everything together but, the sprockets aren't lined up properly. They are swearing that everything is correctly installed, but hell if I know, I just ride the thing I don't work on it. I've enclosed a few pics here (hopefully) to see if anyone see's anything out of the ordinary.. My main concern is that this doesn't get done before I move out of state which is in 3 Days!:mad:

OgleMogley
04-21-2003, 08:29 AM
P.S.
We're using the stock Honda Carrier.

Here's another angle

nakomis0
04-21-2003, 09:42 AM
How the h@ll can your sprockets not line up?

I mean the rear can spin freely, and so can the front if ya put it in nuetral.

You sure you have the right chain, and sprockets.

I think the number they call it is a 520, your chain and sprockets must all be 520.

Thats all I can think of.

OgleMogley
04-21-2003, 09:55 AM
C'mon now.. Of course I ordered the correct chain and sprockets.

Here's what lonestar had to say..

"The swing arm looks fine. First thing is it looks like the sprocket hub is not pressed against the snap ring on the axle. Also it does not appear to be sitting all the way into the carrier.

LSR"

I have passed that onto the shop that is working on it and the tech's reply was well If I move the sprocket hub, it will be farther out than it already is.

Passed that info on to the shop doing the work, so hopefully we'll get some clarification...

Fleshwound
04-21-2003, 10:06 AM
is your axle lock nut tightened up...
that would pull the sprocket in closer to the carrier...

OgleMogley
04-21-2003, 10:20 AM
That is a very good point. Is this the part you were refering to? I remember while I was there i was looking at that and wondering how I was going to adjust the axle if the notches were pointed straight down at the ground

gojk
04-21-2003, 10:38 AM
The chain guide on the swingarm lines up with the front sprocket so that only leaves the axle and the carrier.

JOEX
04-21-2003, 10:39 AM
Looks to me that the axle is not in all the way.
I just installed a Lonestar and had to whack it a few times with a hammer and piece of wood.
My sprocket is much closer to the carrier than yours:confused:
I also have alot more spline showing on the left side of the sprocket but Durablue might be different than Lonestar

Joe

Mxbubs
04-21-2003, 10:40 AM
HHHmmmmnnn....

I have an x-33 axle with the same problem....

I have an aftermarket carrier, and an aftermarket swingarm, but I dont have an ex motor...

However, I think there is something going on with the swingarm bearings and the x-33 axle hub.....Not 100% sure.

Mine is off just a hair, but Ive never had any problem....

Some bearing carriers are made for a specific bearing, ie. the width of the bearing....

I dont know man, good luck.

toby400ex
04-21-2003, 10:53 AM
its gotta be from the fact that the axle isnt all the way in the carrier:huh

"BLAHH"300!!
04-21-2003, 12:03 PM
....put a chain on the front sprokett, and run it back to the rear sproket, so we can see how far everything is off, and to what side.

i'm not bashing you man, but..
.maybe you should learn to wrench it yourself, instead of letting the shop do it...save's you money, and you know it's done right plus if anything breaks on the trail you'll have an idea what's broke, why, and how to fix it.....it's like lego's,...any idiot can do it,..i've proved that to be fact.

i won't take mine to the shop to have anything done, if they can't find on their computer, it doesn't exist, and i'm an idiot for thinking it does......i called earlier, i'm ranting again...called looking for sproket hub bolts....i could hear him typing..
.."and this is for a honda.......300 e x ?"
then i asked him if he had a drive shaft for a 400ex in stock told him mine wouldn't idle, so i was thinking that might fix it....
i'll order from the net from now on.

nakomis0
04-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Oh I see what we are talking about now. I thought it was a problem with the chain teeth lining up to the sprockets. My bad.:ermm:

I'd just take that axle back and go get an LSR or something better.

wilkin250r
04-21-2003, 12:39 PM
I agree with what everybody else has said already. It doesn't look like the axle is all the way in.

Try getting a large hammer (like a 4 lb hammer or sledge hammer), and try to tap the axle in a little more. You don't want to SMACK the axle really hard, just tap it and see if it moves. It's probably best to put a small piece of wood against the axle and hit the wood, that way you don't hit your axle directly and damage anything. Don't get crazy with it, just hit it lightly and see if it moves in at all.

OgleMogley
04-21-2003, 12:40 PM
I was actually going to take a stab at wrenching it myself but,

this is actually an insurance claim which ended up being a check cut to the dealership and not me, so I really had no choice but to let them do the work.

I will try to lay a chain on it tomorrow and take a shot or two. The dealership is closed at the moment.

400exRacerX
04-21-2003, 02:06 PM
With some front sprockets you have to put them on with the ridged side facing out, its that or the axle isnt in all the way.

phatswinn
04-21-2003, 03:10 PM
the sprocket hub in the back is put on backwards

ATVer14
04-21-2003, 03:16 PM
I've got two ideas.
One, was the engine taken out of the chassis recently? My friend ended up installing all his engine spacers backwards when he installed his engine, so the sprockets wouldn't line up because the engine was spaced too far to one side instead of centered in the chassis, so I would check that first if the engine was taken out of the chassis.
Secondly, your axle doesn't look like it is installed all the way. Take two clamps and run them from the brake disc to the sprocket (you might want to cover the brake disc with a towel to prevent scratches), one on each side of the disk and sprocket so that they are parallel to the axle, and then gently tighten the clamps to see if the sprocket will move farther into the axle carrier. BE CAREFUL though that you don't put too much pressure on the brake disc and bend it. You'll see it deflecting a little bit when you are tightening the clamps, just don't let it deflect too far.
One last thing, did you install new bearings in the axle carrier? It could be that the bearings just arn't seated all the way in. Thats all I can think of, hope this helps.
Kenny

"BLAHH"300!!
04-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by phatswinn
the sprocket hub in the back is put on backwards

nah i don't think it's that, mine's a 300, but to mount the sproket, ..i have to slide it over the hub, then alight the hole's and bolt it all on from the other side.

there's a space, look's about 1/4" or 1/8" space between the hub and carrier...i don't think i have that space, with a stock hub, stock carrier, and durablue axel.

OgleMogley
04-21-2003, 03:34 PM
You guys are all completely awesome. I am going to print all of these ideas tomorrow and take them into the dealership tomorrow and hopefully they will get it right. Let's cross our fingers..

04-22-2003, 02:32 AM
It looks like your axle is not all the way installed...the pic from the rear is showing this. It needs to go in another 1/2 inch or so garaunteed. Mine had this problem too..went in almost all the way.. I had to pull the axle back out and play with the carrier's inner tube that the axle goes thru,,it was a little outa wack and causing the axle to stop prematurely.. I dont' have a pic of mine close up to paste..but that looks like the problem..

OgleMogley
04-22-2003, 04:05 AM
I have compiled a letter of all the awesome responces I have gotten from you all and faxed it to the shop. Hopefully we will see some results today..

muff
04-22-2003, 09:48 AM
yea the axle nut wasnt fully tightened, that happened to me even with a stock axle, just got a mallet and hit the axle fully in then tightened up the nut