PDA

View Full Version : Toggle switch instead of key

Doibugu2
04-21-2003, 06:13 AM
Has anybody taken out there key ignition and replaced it with something else. I swear I misplace my key constantly. I move my quad back and forth from my house to my parents alot so I'm always moving my key.

I do have a killswitch so if I was worried about it getting stolen, I could just pull that.

Anybody else have any good ideas?

wyndzer
04-21-2003, 06:31 AM
I broke the switch on my dale when we were at H/M last year, so I just wired a toggle switch up and it worked great. I hid it up under the front of the bike, so nobody knew it was there. After I got the switch fixed I just left the toggle and hooked up a strobe light to it. Now if I loose my key, the toggle is still there to be used.:D

Doibugu2
04-21-2003, 08:06 AM
Thats cool. I think I am going to do that then. Tired of messing with my keys:devil

So when were down at H/M nobody steal my ride.:grr

wyndzer
04-21-2003, 09:02 AM
You coming this trip, or later in the year?

Doibugu2
04-21-2003, 09:11 AM
Wish I could come this trip, but we are definatley coming in July. We are planning on being down there for a whole week.

Rip_Tear
04-21-2003, 10:43 AM
I have a toggle on my 300, most people can't figure out how to start it (I get a laugh every time someone tries :D). I am always a bit worried about someone stealing it easily though, not that a key is much harder hot wire, but it takes a bit more time. I would definately suggest getting some kind of combonation lock and locking your sprocket to the swingarm or something just for peace of mind :D The kill switch is easier to get by then the key :( just thought I better let you know.

Doibugu2
04-21-2003, 10:46 AM
When I have it sitting for the week, I lock it up. So that is why I wasn't to worried.

Did you put the toggle switch where the key went or somewhere else? Does a toggle switch fit where the key whole is?

wyndzer
04-21-2003, 11:18 AM
You can put the toggle in the keyhole, but I'd leave the key switch there and put the toggle elsewhere. The switch w/ no key will throw people off.

Chanman420q
04-21-2003, 04:34 PM
what do you mean toggle?

Mr_Bub400ex
04-21-2003, 06:02 PM
go to http://www.ignitedperformance.com and get one of the toggle switches with the red covers.

Doibugu2
04-22-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Bub400ex
go to http://www.ignitedperformance.com and get one of the toggle switches with the red covers.

Hey, what is the deal with the website. I cannot get it to load.

JOEX
04-22-2003, 10:36 AM
The front page is a flash page, Try this one...
http://www.ignitedperformance.com/ignited/index1.html

wyndzer
04-22-2003, 10:41 AM
yeah, doi put some ricer stuff on the EX. That would be way cool.:eek2:

Rip_Tear
04-22-2003, 01:14 PM
I have no key or anything for my 300, the toggle is kinda on the side of the plastic dealie with the Reverse, Oil temp, and neutral lights... (I know the EX doesnt have it...) I would suggest putting it some where out of the way but easily accessed :D

Mr_Bub400ex
04-22-2003, 04:02 PM
get the push button starter button along with a toggle, that would be dope

04-26-2003, 05:01 PM
I put a toggle on my 250X cause my bars wouldn't allow the key switch to be there. I took out the airfilter and drilled a small hole in the bottom of the airbox. I put the toggle sticking out the bottom, it was really easy to get to...hard to hotwire (wires ran through the frame) and hard to see.

Doibugu2
05-05-2003, 08:01 AM
Well I finally did it. Tore the sucker apart on Thursday, figured out how to run it and put it all back together on Sunday. Not as easy as I thought it would be. I had to use a 3 position switch to get it to work right. If you use a regular 2 position switch the switch won't turn the quad off once it's running.

I mounted the toggle switch in the very first hole on the black side piece. Actually looks like its supposed to be mounted there. We will se how it holds up.

"BLAHH"300!!
05-05-2003, 01:56 PM
2 way wont work,dman..
...i got holes in my plastic. now.

...will this work?....
use a 3 way toggle to opperate 2 fog lights seperatly
. i have two fog lights already. only one's mounted <so far.
it's mounted low, behind the bumper, on the flat piece with the searial numbers. shines bright, but i get alot of shadows.
i'd like to have another one up high...i wanna mount it so that it shines out of the hole in my hood scoop (when i get one)
do think it's possible to wire it so that
position 1. off
position 2. one fog light burns.
position 3. two fog lights burn
.....seams like it would,
how would i wire the last light, so the first one doesn't turn off when in the last position?
...3 way toggles have 6 post's right?

RICE?.....nah man, ORRIGINAL.

2K400ex
05-05-2003, 03:38 PM
well what i did is i have a key on my ring and convinently im a locksmith so i made sevral other keys.. but i have a spare in my tool compartment so even if i lose one on the ride i still have one.. only once have i not had any keys.. i left them at work so i picked it to the on pos so i could ride.. im sure if you needed any extra keys a locksmith could make them for ya

TheX1992
05-05-2003, 04:23 PM
theres 2 wires going to the key behind it (on my 250x at least) and if you unplug these wires the bike will start but if you put the 2 wires together (not in the key holder) it will groudn and wont start....these 2 small wires fit easily in front of your tank

Doibugu2
05-06-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by "BLAHH"300!!
2 way wont work,dman..
...i got holes in my plastic. now.

...will this work?....
use a 3 way toggle to opperate 2 fog lights seperatly
. i have two fog lights already. only one's mounted <so far.
it's mounted low, behind the bumper, on the flat piece with the searial numbers. shines bright, but i get alot of shadows.
i'd like to have another one up high...i wanna mount it so that it shines out of the hole in my hood scoop (when i get one)
do think it's possible to wire it so that
position 1. off
position 2. one fog light burns.
position 3. two fog lights burn
.....seams like it would,
how would i wire the last light, so the first one doesn't turn off when in the last position?
...3 way toggles have 6 post's right?

RICE?.....nah man, ORRIGINAL.

Blahh, if you still want to eliminate the key, just get the 3 way switch. No biggie. But as far as running the lights the way you want it shouldn't be that hard. I'm no electrician, so I cannot tell you how to do it, but just start plugging the wires in different combinations. You'll adventually figure it out.

25400ex, I had a key cut by my dealer and it didn't work. I agree with what your do, its just I don't want to deal with a key. I move my quad from my parents house to my house all the time, and I'm always misplacing a key. I just don't want to have to think about it.

Rip_Tear
05-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Umm, mine is a 2 way... I don't know why your having problems :confused: , mine is fine...