PDA

View Full Version : WElders flash

killed300ex
04-21-2003, 03:04 AM
has anyone ever had this? I got it last night and it hurts like ma *****. Its like taking a peice of sand paper and puting it under your eyelids. It got so bad i had to go to the emergancy room. Just a warning never ever weld without a mask even if it is only 1 small weld! Thats what i did and its the biggest mistake iv ever made because of this i now have lost 1/2 my spring vacation. Im so pissed at my stupidity but wish that everyone never gets this cause it hurts like he!! It stated hurting last night and now i can see at least a little but i cant read what im typing because the print it to xmall and its all blury/ This sucks just wondering if this happened to anyone else
killed
PS i cant reread this to check for errors so dont make any comments about bad typing

rdmex
04-21-2003, 03:29 AM
That Sucks, I ALWAYS wear my welding mask. One thing i wouldnt do is weld without long sleeves, i got a nice "sunburn" like that :p

Honda4trax250x
04-21-2003, 03:34 AM
dude that sucks i cant even magine how much that must hurt:scary:

CBW
04-21-2003, 03:37 AM
Hmmm......thats one of the first rules to welding..,,,just like on a quad.....ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET:huh

you dont stand there and just stare directly at the sun do you ????? J/P;)

I have an auto-darkening helmet to weld with......

they are great,,,,you should invest on one:cool:

killed300ex
04-21-2003, 03:40 AM
yes that is what i am buying next is that helmet. How much did your cost? Iv heard about them but never tried them my dad has them at work but wont let me try them. Ill admit it it was extremyl stupid of me to not wear it even though the weld was only like 1/2 long but ohh well i learned the hard way. Also do you know were i could buy one of those helmets?
Thnks
killed

Pappy
04-21-2003, 03:42 AM
place 2 potatoe slices over your eyes( about 1/2 inch thick)

killed300ex
04-21-2003, 03:46 AM
does that actually help? cause ill do just about anything lol i think im going to go try it
killed

CBW
04-21-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by killed300ex
yes that is what i am buying next is that helmet. How much did your cost? Iv heard about them but never tried them my dad has them at work but wont let me try them. Ill admit it it was extremyl stupid of me to not wear it even though the weld was only like 1/2 long but ohh well i learned the hard way. Also do you know were i could buy one of those helmets?
Thnks
killed

Well,,,i got mine from the local welders supply store.....but you could check catalogs like graingers, or go to www.graingers.com
or northern tool, or harbor freight---dont know a site for the last two but northern is a better place in my opnion

Mine is not a fancy one with all the adjustments........just auto darkening and it was about 150 which isnt bad for the convience of seeing where to start the weld and then just stryking the arc

Pappy
04-21-2003, 03:56 AM
does that actually help? cause ill do just about anything lol i think im going to go try it
killed

lol it will feel like your eyes are being sucked out of your head:eek: i grew up in my dads welding shop and thats what they made me do when i got it:p i dunno if it really helps...or the pain from the tater is more then the flash :devil lol

oh yeah...the tater will turn purple too:eek2:

exriderdude
04-21-2003, 04:13 AM
i had that once, i was just watching my brother weld, he told me that it would hurt my eyes but i didnt believe him:rolleyes:, i was up most the night cuz it hurt so bad, i was just my one eye though, i dont think it was as bad as your though:ermm:

PhilMoore
04-21-2003, 04:18 AM
Nope, never had it happen. Been around Arc welders all my life too...

Of course my dad told me to never look at the arc... When you are welding, you can't assume everyone around you has a clue, so tell them not to look.

Pappy
04-21-2003, 04:36 AM
the worst i have ever had it was after spending several hours welding a new cutting edge on a bulldozer. i wanted to just die:(

Moded86R
04-21-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
place 2 potatoe slices over your eyes( about 1/2 inch thick)

Exactly.It really does help to.Don't get me wrong it still hurts like heck.

I have a lincoln 220 mig welder.When I was younger my buddy cracked his bicycle frame when he over shot our table top.I didn't wear a welding helmet.Trust me I will always wear one now.Yes it sucks.

And yeah the tater's do turn purple.And they get a funny smell to.

killed300ex
04-21-2003, 06:13 AM
yea this hurt like he!! i ended up going to the er just becayse i was a lil scared cause i didnt want to screw up my eyesight forever i mean when it hurts that bad and you cant even open your eyes you get a litle nervous. Ohh well hopefully by the end of the week I will be receieving my new self diming mask dad is going to bring home the catalog im going pick one out then he said he would chip in and buy it tommorow for me. Hopefuly this will solve amm lu problems.
killed

Guy400
04-21-2003, 06:40 AM
Kenny is exactly right. Put a raw potato slice on each eye and let them sit there for as long as possible. My dad had this happen to him and the emergency room told him there's little they can do for him. We called my great-grandfather and he told my dad to put potato on his eyes. My dad was fine the next day.

Nj400EX
04-21-2003, 06:42 AM
I feel your pain brother . Welding flash sux . The wierd thing about it is that you don't know you got flashed till you try to go to sleep , then its all down hill from there . If you can , i'd suggest going back to the hospital and asking them for a bottle of Proparacaine Hydrochloride . It numbs your eyes so you feel no pain . Hope that helps . Hang in there , it will be over soon enough :)

Also , try to wear sunglasses , indoors and outside .

Pappy
04-21-2003, 06:44 AM
propane hydro what:blah

lol...ask yer paps for a shot of the good stuff:devil

Nj400EX
04-21-2003, 06:51 AM
Pappy its Proparacaine Hydrochloride LoL Its like liquid cocaine for your eyes , the stuff kicks butt . I have a big ole bottle sitting right here for the next time I get flashed that way i don't have to go back to the hospital for it :blah

Pappy
04-21-2003, 06:56 AM
lol..ive never heard it called "cocaine for the eyes" lmfao

yeah ive been prescribed that also...talk about a weird feeling:eek2: my pops had it real bad and they actually gave him shots in the eye or something along those lines. it was the first day he ever used a self darking helmut. he swears to this day he wont ever use another one...shade #10 is all he allows in the shop:p

Nj400EX
04-21-2003, 06:59 AM
I use a #10 Gold lens , works for me :D

WildCatRacer
04-21-2003, 07:00 AM
lol polyprolgandawhat.. never heard off that. I can say that I use to weld for a living and burned my eyes, started on fire and beend electricuted several times though, and getting flash burn is by far the worse. I've tried all the little tricks (steak, poptatos, sticking your head in the freezer, eye drops) and none of them help. you can try them if you want, but I doubt the'll help you any, all you can do is lay in your bed that night wityh your eyes watering, getting no sleep feeling like your in a torture chamber. I also sugest you wear shades for awhile and avoid bright light. sometimes you cant avoid these thing...its just part of the job, but you should avoid them when you can. i've probly burned my eyes badly about three times. one time I went to the doctor and they said I had a small burn on my eyeball, so im guessing the other two times there was also a burn. now my eyes a very sensitive...they get irratated very easy. :eek2:

WildCatRacer
04-21-2003, 07:03 AM
I also know a lot of people that had bad luck with the autos and they swear not to use them. I think there alright, I use to not like them because they glare more than the taditonals.

killed300ex
04-21-2003, 07:08 AM
yea they gave some of that stuff for me at the er it works great but wears off really quick but it feels really good when they do use it but they dont let you take it home because it prevemnts healing of the cornea
killed

CBW
04-21-2003, 07:12 AM
I have herad of people having problems.........like not turning it on:rolleyes:

My uncle used my helmet once and did not trun it on......then prececed to lecture me on how i need a darker lens...........what an idiot:p :ermm:

Jellyrolls
04-21-2003, 07:54 AM
drink ya a couple pints of jack ;)

Sporttrax400ex
04-21-2003, 07:59 AM
i have got it before and it hurts like hell..

Theres a remedy that if you put potatoes over your eyes its sposed to help..............:huh

AtvMxRider
04-21-2003, 08:41 AM
has anyone ever had this? I got it last night and it hurts like ma *****. Its like taking a peice of sand paper and puting it under your eyelids. It got so bad i had to go to the emergancy room. Just a warning never ever weld without a mask even if it is only 1 small weld! Thats what i did and its the biggest mistake iv ever made because of this i now have lost 1/2 my spring vacation. Im so pissed at my stupidity but wish that everyone never gets this cause it hurts like he!! It stated hurting last night and now i can see at least a little but i cant read what im typing because the print it to xmall and its all blury/ This sucks just wondering if this happened to anyone else
killed
PS i cant reread this to check for errors so dont make any comments about bad typing

LMGDAO!!!!

Stevie-D
04-21-2003, 09:42 AM
never use a wire grinding disk on a drill without some eye protection either. those things break off and fly everywhere.

Fox300ex
04-21-2003, 09:57 AM
Anothere thing about weilders burn dump milk in ur eyes helps a heIl of alot better then settin there wit ackin eyes or go to sleep that helps for me and my dad

L.Vegas400
04-21-2003, 10:49 AM
as far as the auto shades go, do use any of them with a switch or battery operated. forget the switch, batteries die, both.. =burt eyes. i found if you grate the potatoe, it forms to your round eye=more contact and it does help. the doc gave me a drop of that coke stuff and in one blink WOW it was great. i had a burn on the lens of my eye where a spark sizzled across it. i could look in the mirror and could acturally see a white line on the lens. the next day, all gone and fellin good. they say your eyes are the fastest healing part of your body.

Rip_Tear
04-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Wow, I am glad my dad beat it into me never to watch him weld, or to weld with out the Helmet on! I like the flippers best but you have to remember to put the lens down your you are buggered. Hope you get better soon! I will have to remember that potato thing, and find out why it works!

Maybe patato googles for welding! LMAO

killed300ex
04-21-2003, 11:55 AM
yup my dad surprised me today he brought a quto diming helmet home for me. He had it taying around work so he brought it home said if he ever needed another one at work he would jsut buy another one. I was reading the book that came with it holy crap that thing is amazing. Changes from clearish to dark in 1/16000 of a second. Cant wait to go and try it out but i have to let my eyes heal up good before i can use it though.
killed

Necronius
04-22-2003, 09:38 AM
Yes, its painful as hell. and if you're making tack welds, another bad thing to do is think you can just close your eyes when you weld. I did that once, did about 15 or so. while it didnt hurt my eyes directly, it DID give me what felt like a sunburn on my eyelids. it hurt to open them. sucks hardcore.

SGA
04-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Pappy is right , use a potato. I have had welders flash before, it feels like someone has poured sand into your eyes. I sat up most of the night in bed. I feel for you man.

killed300ex
04-22-2003, 12:44 PM
well im finally feelling better was actaully allowed to do stuff doday lol those percoset pills really screw you up lmao i love those things. but its pretty much all gone now tommorow im going to the eye doc for a follow up but i can see almost perfect and by tommorow it will be back to normal My present from my dad :D i quess he doesnt want this to happen to me again
killed

its a crappy pic but you get the idea its a really nice welf diming welders mask retails for like 200 got a bunch of settings that he said he would tell me how to ajust lol

joeroadking
04-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Yeh, I got welders flash bad hurts like hell ! but it goes away soon enough just through some patches on your eyes and chill on the couch for a day !:D :cool:

user101
04-22-2003, 03:28 PM
i have one of those self darkening masks and it doesnt turn on sometimes. i usually just use me dads oldschool mask.

Mr_Bub400ex
04-22-2003, 06:31 PM
i never got flash but i got 2 hours worth of straight welding sun burn on my neck... it was like 2 months ago and i have a tanned V on my neck:rolleyes:

killed300ex
04-23-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by user101
i have one of those self darkening masks and it doesnt turn on sometimes. i usually just use me dads oldschool mask.

Never heard of that iv only heard of people forgeting to turn them on but im really not that worried about that because this mask was used for a couple years every day of the week for 8 hours a day without a problem so im really not all that worried.
killed