PDA

View Full Version : Xenon Bulbs

doctor_915
12-23-2001, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know where I can get xenon gas filled(the blue bulbs) for my 400 ex? Dennis kirk doesnt have them and my Honda shop has no clue where to get em. thanks

400exRacerX
12-23-2001, 10:14 PM
I believe there was a thread about this already, try and search for it.

The400exExorcist
12-24-2001, 07:00 AM
Yeah I know there was.....I started it:D

RideRed400EX
12-24-2001, 07:35 AM
A true Xenon or HID set-up will cost you from $500 - $2000. HID lights require a ballast which will probably break during off-road use. Go get the superwhite or blue bulbs from PIAA. The H3 size fit the stock 400ex lights

try thishttp://www.nopionline.com/Universal.asp?Level=2Lighting

doctor_915
12-24-2001, 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone, I will look into ordering them from that NOPI site.

MOFO
12-26-2001, 06:15 AM
I've already addressed this issue before as well. Those blue lights DO NOT INCREASE your light output. They actually work as a light filter and you loose alot of visable light. Your ONLY increase in lighting is to increase the bulb wattage or go with a true HID system which is extremely expensive. Check out Ricky Stator (http://www.rickystator.com) for better lighting systems.

Just please dont rice out your 400 with those bulbs....

Eric

Juggalo
12-26-2001, 11:11 AM
i think it would look sweet. and maybe i don't know a lot about this little pocket rocket/ rice burner phenominon goin on but those xenon lights come on BMW's and Mercedes..and those are considered a rice burner are they? lol that sounds kinda weird.

doctor_915
12-26-2001, 02:06 PM
I know it wont make my light output anymore, just wanted to do it for looks, maybe I will go super ricer and get some green bulbs, or i can get rainbow ones and make it look like a christmas tree..

Oh and this how rice-ing out 400ex's thing....Honda is a japanese company, if u dont want a "rice burner quad" u either have to get a Cannondale or Polaris.

MOFO
12-26-2001, 02:06 PM
Nope, there is a big difference between wanna be xenon (blue tinted blubs) and actual XENON (aka HID) lighting systems. HID systems ignite a gas in the bulb....there is no filament (sp?). It works very much like a neon bulb. The gas is ignited and that is what produces the light. Notice the price difference....rice bulbs cost anywhere from $5 up to $50 a pair (if someone ever paid that much i feel sorry for ya). The actual HID lighting systems STARTS at atleast $500 and goes up to $1000's. Go price a BMW or any other car that comes with HID as an option and check out how much that option cost. More than what those cheapo rice bulbs cost.

Those blue tinted bulbs are just regular halogen bulbs with a blue tint. If you buy the ones that are the same wattage as your stock blubs, you WILL loose light output. What some people sell are the blue tinted blubs that are higher wattage. This is what confuses people because when you increase the wattage on a blue tinted blub it does seem slightly brighter. Keep in mind this is very bad for the factory wiring harness that was designed to only carry so much power through them. I have seen people with burned up harnesses that have increased their bulb wattage and did nothing to the wiring system....

If you take a 55watt halogen blub and put it against a blue tinted 55watt halogen blub, the regular one DOES put out MORE visable light.

Trust me guys, I've done WAY TOO much homework on this one...if anyone else is confused, I'll dig up the websites with all the independent testing....

Eric

RideRed400EX
12-26-2001, 08:33 PM
I have an put an HID kit in my car, cost about $1,600.00. It would be much to expensive to make or retro-fit an HID system for a quad.

The white/blue tinted bulbs would look SWEET on your wheeler though.

Pro400EXC
12-27-2001, 09:26 PM
Here's a link to a web site, that sell's those HID headlight kits for quads. They make them for the 400ex,Raptor, and DS 650. It cost's $520, and it's saweeet

http://www.suprastore.com/yamraphidxen.html

doctor_915
12-27-2001, 09:26 PM
Well I found a mail order place, and found out the total bill will be $90. Dont think I will pay that much just for looks, I'll just save up and get some pipes. Oh and has anyone ever seen a quad with neon on it like they put on cars? I seen a mail order store in Dirtwheels that advertised neon sticks, wouldnt they just break during offroad use?