PDA

View Full Version : Raptor rear shock on 300ex questions! (jeff or live2ride!)

300EXrider02
04-19-2003, 04:09 PM
Alright, I switched the raptor spring with the 400ex spring, and then mounted the shock.

1. when I put it on I noticed the 400ex spring was shorter, making it have almost no pre-load, so how the hell do I make it stiffer or something? can I get spacers for the spring??

2. The 300ex seems to be sitting a bit lower now, and I am wondering how I can prevent my frame from hiting the swing-arm when jumping? honestly i think switching the raptor and 400ex spring was kind of dumb and might not even be needed... :confused:

3. It also seems to not spring back up as quick as the stock, can anyone with one tell me hoe theres is?

4. and last but not least, where the heck do I mount the rezzie? I do not have a clamp, is this bad? can I use a zip-tie? please help me asap:huh

are wheelies easier or harder with this shock, i have 30 seconds of riding time on it, and i need to fix something in the carb, I plan to do this on sunday (easter) so help me out

Pvt. Maggot
04-19-2003, 04:26 PM
i wanna do this is there alot of diffrence? can you give me some info

04-20-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by 300EXrider02
Alright, I switched the raptor spring with the 400ex spring, and then mounted the shock.

1. when I put it on I noticed the 400ex spring was shorter, making it have almost no pre-load, so how the hell do I make it stiffer or something? can I get spacers for the spring??

2. The 300ex seems to be sitting a bit lower now, and I am wondering how I can prevent my frame from hiting the swing-arm when jumping? honestly i think switching the raptor and 400ex spring was kind of dumb and might not even be needed... :confused:

3. It also seems to not spring back up as quick as the stock, can anyone with one tell me hoe theres is?

4. and last but not least, where the heck do I mount the rezzie? I do not have a clamp, is this bad? can I use a zip-tie? please help me asap:huh

are wheelies easier or harder with this shock, i have 30 seconds of riding time on it, and i need to fix something in the carb, I plan to do this on sunday (easter) so help me out

1. Try turning the preload washers down all the way to take up the gap

2. :confused:

3. turn up the rebound by turning the screw counterclockwise

4. go buy 2 clamps for like $1 at a hardware store and some rubber hose to put on the frame so it doesnt scratch the frame.

Hope i helped

04-20-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Pvt. Maggot
i wanna do this is there alot of diffrence? can you give me some info

i heard it works great but i have never tried it. also i think the 400ex spring is for someone under 200lbs. I have a spring if anyone needs one:D

300EXrider02
04-20-2003, 04:21 AM
do you mean, like a hose clamp, that has a screw to tighten it? like on your carb form your air boot? rubber hose? what do you mean, just protection from the rezzie hitting the frame?

thanks ----anyone else??

pvt. maggot

it is a big difference over stock, not only do you get more travel, but it is more adjustable, and dirt track turning and handling is much better, also awesome for jumping

300EXrider02
04-20-2003, 03:17 PM
jeff@quadshop??
live2ride300???

anyone??
comments?:(

Mr_Bub400ex
04-21-2003, 05:45 PM
what are u gonna do about the ****ty front shocks now? sounds like a good idea to me though

300EXrider02
04-22-2003, 09:03 AM
i got works

Mr_Bub400ex
04-22-2003, 03:59 PM
weeeeelllll then i guess u solved THAT problem... hope it works out for you, keep us all posted

300EXrider02
04-23-2003, 10:06 AM
hmm...got some pictures, i just have to mount up the rezzie solid with some zip tires, i will turn that reload screw or whatever to see if it gets stiffer for jumpinf, i duct taped some stuff incase it hit the chain or something

300EXrider02
04-23-2003, 10:06 AM
ooops sorry bout that pic:p :o

300EXrider02
04-23-2003, 10:07 AM
other side

Live2Ride300
04-24-2003, 09:01 AM
Ya just turn the preload collar so there is a little preload on the spring, you dont need a whole lot really. You will notice the quad will sit lower, which is a good thing, you will like the way ur quad rides with it. It comes up slower because of the rebound dampening. Thats a good thing, you can adjust that by turning the flat head screw on the bottom of the shock. You can either turn up the compression or turn it down. Get a hoseclamp and clamp ur rezzie to the frame where u have it in the pics. Good luck

Buzzsaw
04-25-2003, 02:01 AM
I would say he needs to move the rezzie because the chain is going to hit it like mine did. Also, I never changed the spring on my raptor shock and it worked got and i'm about 165

BLURR250X
04-25-2003, 02:41 PM
Where did you guys get your Raptor shocks?Did you buy them new or used?How much new vs. used?

300EXrider02
04-25-2003, 02:56 PM
buzzsaw, and live2ride, sorry for the crappy pics, but i thank everyone for their replies, buzzsaw, i noticed that your rezzie is right above the chain, mine is lower han yours, but the rezzie hose goes under the frame rather than above, making the rezzie fit in a spot totally away form the chain you can see in the pic. live2ride, if i plan on jumping a good amount, do you think i should mees with that screw? or anything else? there is barley any pre load to adjust becasue the spring is so short...so far so good, but if i didnt get a rezzy clamp do you think that the zip ties would hold? thanks for any replies

i got my raptor shock off ebay for 157.50$
lots of people wnat them so when there is one on there, the prices go up quick

Live2Ride300
04-26-2003, 05:30 AM
When you go riding bring along a screwdriver to adjust the rebound, then ride it and adjust it as neccessary until you have it where you like it. The zip ties might hold for a lil while but then they might brake, id just use a hoseclamp to clamp it to the frame then you wont have to worry about it.

300EXrider02
04-26-2003, 05:41 AM
ok thanks a lot, is it clockwise to make it come up faster, (more compression, and counterclockwise slower?

Live2Ride300
04-26-2003, 05:46 AM
You turn it clockwise for more rebound dampning, so it will come up slower and resist bottoming. You turn it the other way to make it come up faster and have a more springy feel to it. You really gotta adjust it at the place you ride to get it dialed in correctly.