PDA

View Full Version : WidowMaker

SpeedBump
04-19-2003, 02:20 PM
Here is a nasty hill for ya to check out. Last summer, I took a whack at it.......... :eek: Didn't turn out like I wanted :( Cost me a rear wheel(bent), steering stem(cracked and bent), front plastic(cracked and supports bent), rear axle(Durabend, bent a bit), handlebars(slightlt bent), tierod(bent). :o Well, today we went riding and ended up there again. No, I didn't attempt it this time. Too much money involved in repairs. Only one guy tried it out today. The hill is in bad shape from the winter and rain. Eric on his Raptor climbed it 2 times. Made it look easy. Most of the other guys there were ridin Hondas. Lots of EXs. Nobody had the BALLZ to run at it. The pics actually make it look a bit easier. Check out the pic of the guy "trying to walk" up the hill. It about goes "vert" at the very top. Wicked hill to be sure.
http://members.toast.net/rhueladams/craig/closewidow.jpg
http://members.toast.net/rhueladams/craig/walkinupit.jpg
Here is the view from farther away.
http://members.toast.net/rhueladams/craig/widow1.jpg
This is Eric sittin up top. Notice the gap under him....big "V" from the dirtbikes.
http://members.toast.net/rhueladams/craig/erictopwidow.jpg

CHAUNCY
04-19-2003, 02:35 PM
Looks really steep!

QuAdRaCeR244
04-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY
Looks really steep!

yeah it does look pretty steep. i would try it:macho

CHAUNCY
04-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by QuAdRaCeR244
yeah it does look pretty steep. i would try it:macho

Id try it on my KX but I dont like trying stuff on quads because they are too expensive if you role them but with bikes nothin really happens.

QuAdRaCeR244
04-20-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY
Id try it on my KX but I dont like trying stuff on quads because they are too expensive if you role them but with bikes nothin really happens.

i wouldn't go on a quad either. i would hit it on my 125

ledofthezep
04-20-2003, 06:57 AM
I'd go for it. If a dude on a Raptor can make it up, I have no doubt that I'd be all over it....at least I'd give it a shot. I'm confident...:devil

Sportrax10
04-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Where is that hill located?

SpeedBump
04-20-2003, 02:14 PM
It is out at Bernie Dumm's, by Dog Hollow Race Track. Next weekend there is a Poker Run there. We usually take a small side trip (1/4 mile off the poker run route)over to it. Not many guys have climbed it. I think it is too intimidating for most guys to wanna try. There is a buddy of mine that can dead-dig it on his 400EX. (well did a few times, but flipped it over at the very top 2 of those times :blah ) Anyway here is a link to their site and to the event page for the Poker Run. I have been on it before, we will be going (98% sure) this time too. http://www.tricountyatv.com/
http://www.tricountyatv.com/pageview.asp?pID=11

I will have my camera and will be happy to snap pics of anyone wanting to attempt this hill. I may even bring my Video camera too. (If Ben will let me pack it on his Rancher :D )

SpeedBump
04-20-2003, 02:24 PM
http://www.paatving.com/Articles/tricounty02/tricountypr02.asp

I went and found this link to a story written about the Poker Run. He mentions the Hill Climb areas a bit down the page.

Rip_Tear
04-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Sweet pics, that hill does look a bit dirty :D What kind of camera did you take those with? I am trying to get my mom to buy a new digi :D

Sporttrax400ex
04-21-2003, 03:09 AM
Nice hill. You should climb that one im gonna have to come out there and try that hill sometime it looks fun.

250x#93
04-26-2003, 09:09 AM
Sweet hill, I know theres many of them around here that size or bigger:devil

I know we do got some purty nasty ones here in western pa:macho

250x#93
04-26-2003, 09:23 AM
I can't wait till I get a bike and get at least sufficient on it:D I'll be tryin any hillclimb they can throw at me:devil

CHAUNCY
04-26-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by 250x#93
I can't wait till I get a bike and get at least sufficient on it:D I'll be tryin any hillclimb they can throw at me:devil

Thats the ice thing about bikes. You can try hills and not mess up your machine:)

marksuttonjr
05-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Nice Hill. I would climb it on my Rancher, but I don't think I would try it on my R yet. I'm not used to climbing on my R yet, but I will be soon enough.

2K400ex
05-06-2003, 09:12 AM
i know what you mean by the pic does it no justice.. last yr a bunch of us went to hatfeild Mcoy trails in west VA.. and theres a hill there only like 2 quads made it and the rest where all bikes.. it has like 3 steps to it.. i tried the first one and someone had stopped at the top so i got stuck on the edge of it.. i had some guys help pull me the rest of the way up so i didnt go flipping back down the hill...

2K400ex
05-06-2003, 10:14 AM
this is me stuck on the hill at hatfield McCoy

05-07-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by 2K400ex
this is me stuck on the hill at hatfield McCoy

that would suck big time. Bikes never get hurt when they fall only thing that usually happens is bent bars and a cupple scratches.

250EXking
05-21-2003, 08:38 AM
i would try it. but i would save up my money first just in case something went wrong.;)

KrazyKid300ex
05-21-2003, 12:41 PM
I would do it. And i know my friend crazyquadman97 or something (forgot his exriders nanme) would go for it. We are climbers and he is alittle better for the time being!

remlapr
05-21-2003, 12:49 PM
In the first pic it looks weak, but the second of the person on the hill let's you see how steep it is - looks pretty nasty.

05-23-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by 2K400ex
i know what you mean by the pic does it no justice.. last yr a bunch of us went to hatfeild Mcoy trails in west VA.. and theres a hill there only like 2 quads made it and the rest where all bikes.. it has like 3 steps to it.. i tried the first one and someone had stopped at the top so i got stuck on the edge of it.. i had some guys help pull me the rest of the way up so i didnt go flipping back down the hill...

Me and wyndzer make it a point to climb that hill from the bottom to the very top every time were down there......:D

jcv400ex
05-27-2003, 08:49 AM
I think this is the one from Hatfield....

jcv400ex
05-27-2003, 08:50 AM
top of it

Ben
05-27-2003, 09:37 AM
I never got into hill climbing much - I was always afraid of killing myself or destroying my quad. :eek: I guess there is not a real skill at doing it, huh? Just take a run and it and pin the trottle? :blah: Is there any technique you guys use when the quad starts to come back over on you? It has only happened twice and both times I didn't know what to do so I just prayed :rolleyes: Any bail manuevers? lol :D

Rip_Tear
05-27-2003, 10:08 AM
Anytime my quads have lifted up on a hill climb, I have balanced them on the rear wheels and got it to come down. But I am always ready to bail to the side or up hill. I would also suggest hitting the kill switch. Good luck Ben :D

250x#93
05-27-2003, 10:29 AM
My strategy: be in the right gear, hold er wide open less its loose dirt cuz u don't want to spin to much, give her hell all the way to the top, and never let off less absolutely necessary, I would just jump if it goes to roll:devil: Plus choose ur line well:blah:

Elmo on PCP
05-27-2003, 10:30 AM
pin the gas and you will make it, so what if ya catch air at the top. If you took and wicked steep hill lined it with a tarp, than put soapy water on it and put hoosier racing slicks on yer quad......... if you had enought speed and momentium you will make it up any thing no prob thats if yer going fast enough...also when you rolling back dont let the clutch out lol

Braff1
05-27-2003, 04:54 PM
It would be nice if we could invent a 3-d camera. We have some hills around here that are pretty vertical but when you take a pic of them it doesn't really give much credit to the hill.

250x#93
05-28-2003, 01:36 PM
when you rolling back dont let the clutch out lol

Yeah haha def. don't do that, and if ya stall out make sure to pull the clutch in:devil:

2002_300_EX
05-30-2003, 09:01 AM
I hate hills.....Everytime I try to do one I break something and send my quad rollin down the hill. Im just stickin to the mud for now.

KrazyKid300ex
05-30-2003, 09:29 AM
know how to ride?

250x#93
05-30-2003, 09:50 AM
know how to ride?

Yeah mud sucks, anyone can ride in mud, it ruins ur bearings faster and to top it off u gotta clean ur quad everytime ur done ridin:eek2: Hills rock, but I still don't try everything cuz some of the crazy stuff is scary:devil:

Doibugu2
05-30-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Me and wyndzer make it a point to climb that hill from the bottom to the very top every time were down there......:D

Man, I would go up the 1st or 2nd part of that. Small balls here. But I think I remeber seeing Wyndzer come back down. Slipping and sliding trying not to go over the bars. I don't mind climbing them so much, its the coming down part.

Ben, as far as climbing hills, there def is some skill involved. You have to pick the right line, be in the right part of the power band and not give it to much or to little gas. Because you will either stall and the quad will roll back on you or you will go to fast and end up going flying at the top. I think there is some like involved too. I have started to bail a couple of times because the quad was about to go over. But once I got about half way off I was able to recover and roll back down safe.

2002_300_EX
05-30-2003, 04:49 PM
You just dont like mud because you just dont like gettin your pretty little MX quads dirty.....

250x#93
05-31-2003, 01:23 AM
You just dont like mud because you just dont like gettin your pretty little MX quads dirty.....

HAHA Yead I don't like gettin mine dirty. but I also already replaced my bearings 3 times, and now I think I'll not be mud ridin anymore;)

2002_300_EX
05-31-2003, 04:57 AM
I dont know...everyone says that mud wreaks havoc on your bearings but mine are fine.

Kilabanshee
06-01-2003, 12:30 PM
i would try that hillcimb it doesnot look that bad but it does look a little rockey so that would make it pretty hard unles you have aftermarket shocks. Ide give it a wirl if i was around the area.

Kilabanshee
06-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Yeah i have some tips for you novice climbers. Always when starting a climb be sure your in the right gear maybe 2nd or 3rd depeneding on how big it is. As your hitting your powerband in 2nd or 3rd begin to shift down to get more power and have a better chance of making it up. When i went up to beaverdale i got alot of advice from some of the climbers.

Mxbubs
06-01-2003, 12:39 PM
Dis is fun

Nausty
06-01-2003, 01:18 PM
that guys %&*^ing nuts.

4punksdad
06-01-2003, 02:05 PM
hills definately require skill. Knowing when and where to shift your weight is key..................being too far up on the tank can be a killer as you lose traction to the rear wheels.........just as being too far back at the wrong time can be a big mistake. Knowing your quad's characteristics is very important.

sly400ex
06-02-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
hills definately require skill. Knowing when and where to shift your weight is key..................being too far up on the tank can be a killer as you lose traction to the rear wheels.........just as being too far back at the wrong time can be a big mistake. Knowing your quad's characteristics is very important.

Exactly!!!!

KrazyKid300ex
06-02-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by 2002_300_EX
its no an mx quad. just nerfs,razr mx tires fir mx and ac bumper with some little things, pipe etc. ill get a pic for you and believe me my quad always gets dirty

KrazyKid300ex
06-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by 4punksdad

exactly why im not ready for a 400 yet!i know my power with the 300 and i can handle it

250x#93
06-02-2003, 08:13 AM
I dont know...everyone says that mud wreaks havoc on your bearings but mine are fine.

Fine for the time being:o

Bean
06-03-2003, 01:06 PM
or they are already trashed and you cant tell

blown bearings suck, i have blown all the bearings out of my R since i got it, aint cheap, aint cool

250x#93
06-03-2003, 01:33 PM
or they are already trashed and you cant tell

Yup it does really suck bad, I hate it, Plus if that dang axle nut gets loose its not good for the bearings:( I def. don't like blown bearings and when it screws up the carrier that really sux, haven't had that happen yet but I know people who have:o