PDA

View Full Version : 87' 250x tranny problems....

ZRider400
04-19-2003, 06:48 AM
This 250x i bought, has a messed up 3rd gear. When i go into that gear it would grind and just revv or something...... i took the motor appart. The gears look fine which is surprising.....the only thing i see wrong is one of the shift forks looks warn down a lil.. could that cause the 3rd gear to be messed up?

Want any pics of it..i can take some...

thanks.

ZRider400
04-19-2003, 01:33 PM
BUMP

TRX_Thumper
04-19-2003, 02:23 PM
its a common problem on the 87 models and honda recalled it....i know this sounds crazy but i think you can take it a honda dealership and they will have to fix it for free since it was a big recall....not sure on what goes wrong on them but i know honda makes a 3rd gear update kit for that year

04-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by TRX_Thumper
its a common problem on the 87 models and honda recalled it....i know this sounds crazy but i think you can take it a honda dealership and they will have to fix it for free since it was a big recall....not sure on what goes wrong on them but i know honda makes a 3rd gear update kit for that year

worth a shot eh billy

ZRider400
04-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by TRX_Thumper

do you know anyone that has actually brought it to the dealer and got it for free?

300exazzkikr
04-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Even if they don't fix it for free, the dealer will most likely know what the recall was and know exactly how to fix it so they can give a hint do what's wrong iwth it and you can do it yourself. It sounds to me like the shift fork went bad tho.

heavy_d
04-20-2003, 01:07 AM
same thing happened with my brother's 87 250x, it was like clunking in 3rd gear and it was the fork

ZRider400
04-20-2003, 02:15 AM
ok guys....thanks for the info.

nismo
04-20-2003, 05:43 AM
that happened to me too this year and i paid for a all new transmition i wish i knew it was a recall maybe i could have bought something else with my $500 o and check the windows in ur gear b/c my gears looked fine but the windows were cracked a little bit

ZRider400
04-20-2003, 08:47 AM
im about ready to part this quad out instead of fixing it lol...

the god damn hubs are like rusted solid to the axle...they dont budge..... i need to replace the axle bearings, but cant now.

any tips on what to do?

250x#93
04-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Pound them off:devil U could always grind or cut them off if necessary, and then get a new axle and hubs:cool:

nismo
04-21-2003, 05:50 AM
how much did u pay for the 250x? did it look like the hubs were rusted? do u have a picture of the condition? i know when i bought mine it looked kinda bad (plastics had burns was never cleaned but after i fixed it up it ran well for a while.(then trans went bad, after a year chain came off and broke side case, so i got a good year of hard riding out of it) but over all the 250x is a great michine if u do part it out do u have the tool case that goes on the left rear?

ZRider400
04-21-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by nismo
how much did u pay for the 250x? did it look like the hubs were rusted? do u have a picture of the condition? i know when i bought mine it looked kinda bad (plastics had burns was never cleaned but after i fixed it up it ran well for a while.(then trans went bad, after a year chain came off and broke side case, so i got a good year of hard riding out of it) but over all the 250x is a great michine if u do part it out do u have the tool case that goes on the left rear?

no.i dont have that.......

the hub looked fine when i got it...... i traded a old trx250 for it ...... o well. i'llj ust fix the motor and see how it goes.

honda_250x_87
04-21-2003, 06:54 AM
my bikes fine! :D well.. i need a rear bearing carrier & a rear shock for it.. but other than that, its awsome.. transmission is mint.. i had a hole in my sidecase too.. fixed it tho.. o well, im thinkin of sellin it sometime.. i kinda want a dirtbike :devil