PDA

View Full Version : Hey Rico & 400ex21

tinner
12-23-2001, 01:42 PM
Well finally got the scoops done and here are better pics of the white frame.

tinner
12-23-2001, 01:44 PM
Here is another view (I have a few more with different angles)

tinner
12-23-2001, 01:48 PM
THis should be a better shot from the side.BTW,I still need to buy my new shocks,but the side job I did went for buying Xmas stuff instead.

tinner
12-23-2001, 01:50 PM
Last one

kabd69667
12-23-2001, 02:36 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost and how long did it take to get done?

Tommy 17
12-23-2001, 05:19 PM
very nice i think i am goin to try to mount up a set in the summer... i love that frame...

tinner
12-23-2001, 11:44 PM
Thanks again 400ex21. Kabd69667, I assume you are asking about the scoops right? Well first of all I've been really busy with alot of things so these were on the back burner for a while. It took a couple hours to lay out the rough pattern. I got some scrap 22ga. stainless steel from work for free. So I made 2 sheetmetal templates,one flat and the other bent to form. I traced the final design onto the stainless and cut them out which was kinda tough being stainless and all.Then I had to find suitable brackets to use on the bottom. It ended up being three trips to different hardware stores. I probably have six hours into getting them right (alot of little measurements to get it, you wouldn't think so but there are). I made two sets and probably have $10.00 into and my time. I may consider making more,but I would have to buy a sheet of aluminum around $60.00 ?? and see if enough people wanted them to cover expenses and time.As a rough guess I could probably make six sets per sheet. With the next ones I would make,I would probably make a couple slight changes to make installation easier (not that it is too tough now) plus aluminum is alot easier to work with.Jim

12-24-2001, 06:22 AM
Well I like the looks of em,,,lets get the deal under way..:D

Tommy 17
12-24-2001, 09:23 AM
name me a price and i am on the list....

tinner
12-24-2001, 10:00 AM
I have to make sure I cover the material cost.As a guess I would say around $15.00 a set. I would need to be able to sell around 5-6 sets to cover .I will find out later this week about the cost of a sheet of aluminum. You will have to pay shipping which should be no more than $5.00.I will have to get a package weighed to find out.Jim

tinner
12-24-2001, 10:03 AM
One more thing...I need to know if you have full fenders or not. I will have to drill a hole for fender brackets if you do.

Tommy 17
12-24-2001, 12:40 PM
i have full fenders and my friend may want a set too... hes thinkin about it... i will tell u later and i will pay up to 25.00 for them incl shipping...

400exRacerX
12-24-2001, 08:18 PM
I am very interested in them, I have race cut fenders and will pay anything in the range of 20-30 bucks. Let me no if you are going to make this deal for sure, definatly count me in.

12-24-2001, 09:20 PM
Nice craftsmanship!!! I would like to purchase one! I have cut fenders so I will need adjustments as you said. Please post the price total and a mailing address.

tinner
12-25-2001, 07:43 AM
Ok guys you are on the list. I would still like to get two more people. I looked at an old catalog on the price of aluminum but should be somewhat accurate. The price will still remain bare boned around $15.00 at this time because they are "untested". I'm sure they will work but I can't find a bottom clamp that fits tight without a couple wraps around the frame rail w/electrical tape (still clean looking).the top goes through the frame gusset and is quite stationary .So let me know if you're still interested.Jim

wyndzer
12-25-2001, 07:56 AM
I'll take a pair. I've got Maier plastic, full and race. Can you accept paypal?

tinner
12-25-2001, 08:19 AM
I can accept paypal.All I need is one more person and I'll start getting this set up.In the open forum there are some OMF scoops posted that are sweet too.When I looked at them they gave me an idea of that bottom bracket "fix". Hold on for now on any payment until I can get the ball rolling and get the aluminum. I'm working kinda far from home his week and don't know If I can get to the parts house before they close this week and I don't know if they are open Saturday. I will update on this as soon as I know.

Tommy 17
12-25-2001, 08:56 AM
take ur time no big rush...

WB400ex
12-25-2001, 11:37 AM
you can count on me to buy some for 25$. o and thats including shipping. and my fenders are race cut. let me know b/c those are sweet

tinner
12-25-2001, 11:44 AM
Ok order is full. I will make the first batch of aluminum scoops.If there is extra I will make some more right away.

12-25-2001, 03:17 PM
-----> Tinner

I'm not familiar with paypal.... so let me know how to get the cash or money order to you. Or can someone give me a heads up on paypal? Either way, I still want one.... please take your time to perfect it if need be... and if it adds a little more to the price thats fine.

12-25-2001, 09:31 PM
i to would like a pair if you have the extra materials and time,let me know,my email address is Trx400ex120@aol.com

Blackguywithouta400
12-26-2001, 12:07 PM
I have full fenders stock plastic 25 - 30$ no prob, keep us updated please.:D

James70214
12-26-2001, 12:23 PM
I would also like a set for my400. I have race cut fenders, but use the stock mounting brackets. My emil is sm702@hotmail.com

NacsRacing400
12-26-2001, 03:04 PM
They look awsome .I would also like a set for my 400ex. It has race cut fenders. Email me when u get them done and ill pay you. My email address is Jcman88077@aol.com

tinner
12-26-2001, 03:23 PM
Ok guys tomorrow I will probably pick up the metal and see what I can fit per sheet.If all goes well and I have enough orders fo two sheets in a week I will make more.I will keep you posted.They will differ slightly in style from pic,but from what pic shows you may not even see.

400exRacerX
12-26-2001, 07:40 PM
Well I'm still interested, but let me no if you find a better moutning system. BTW how is this going to be paid for money order? COD?

mysticfalcon
12-27-2001, 01:36 AM
i'll take a pair for $25. I was thinking about making some myself but for $25 it'll save me the trouble. my e-mail is rboskind@hotmail.com

tinner
12-27-2001, 03:58 PM
Ok,guys I got the price and size on the aluminum today. I just want to run to the hardware store tomorrow and see if they have the clamp I'm looking for.If I don't like the clamp I will let everyone know,I don't want dissapointments.I will have an exact price tomorrow night. So after tomorrow's post,please send me a private message with your address and I will send you mine.So here are the people I can make them for...Rico,400ex21,400exRacerX,Buck,Wyndzer,WB400e x,LRDtrx250r,Blackguyona400,james70214,and Nacsracing400. Now remember that I have to make these by hand so they are not "die cut" for you perfectionists.Don't worry...no burrs,but I have to cut with snips.Jim

WB400ex
12-27-2001, 06:24 PM
well let us know on the price. also how long do you think it will take for us to get them. and do we pay for shipping. its no problem if i pay for shipping. im very interested. thanxx

trx400ex
12-27-2001, 06:50 PM
hey, i want some, if you have to wait and make a second batch thats okay, 25$-35$ sounds awesome Let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks!! my email is.... rharp@tctc.net

Oh yeah, i have race cut plastic, and do i need to send you a private message?

Braff1
12-28-2001, 05:50 AM
Tinner, let me know when you are going to do your next production run. My email is Braff1@bellsouth.net

Dan

James70214
12-28-2001, 09:49 AM
Sorry Tinner.
I forgot the p in my email address. It is smp702@hotmail.com
Thanks again

trx400ex
12-28-2001, 11:25 AM
i cant wait, those things are awesome, do you know how theyll hold up to racing? sweeet

tinner
12-28-2001, 12:48 PM
Ok...here is the dirt. The scoops will be $20.00 per set.I found some good clamps today..so that's good.If I get the $$ by Wednesday I will pick up Material by Thursday and fab them by the weekend.As long as everyone is in the U.S. I would guess the shipping to be $4.00 in addition to the $20.00.So the total is $24.00 with shipping (wanted to make this clear).If far away shipping may be more and I will get exact price (meaning Alaska and Canada). The only way I won't make them is if people don't send $$ to complete the order, in which case I will send the$$ back to whom ever sent it. As far as the next batch goes...give me a little time to get these done and people to get there's before I make the next ones. Btw,they should hold up just fine for riding...I don't know about crashing though :D .So please send $$ if you still want these and I will make them.Private message me and I will take your address and give you mine.I hope I didn't leave anything out. Jim

NacsRacing400
12-28-2001, 12:56 PM
Tinner, will u acept paypal, if so private message me with uer email address and i will give u payment through paypal.

James70214
12-28-2001, 03:56 PM
Tinner I cant pm you so can you just email me your address and I will email you mine. Thanks

tinner
12-28-2001, 08:10 PM
Just to make sure you guys know I will make them next weekend providing I get $$ in time to finish them by next weekend.They will probably get shipped out by Wednesday at the latest,and probably take 4 days to ship.I will let you know when finished and shipped out.LRD TRX250R..I need to know if you have fender brackets or not.These come with all mounting hardware.Any more questions please let me know.Here is my email...jimandcherix2@aol.com.Have a good New Year guys,I know I'm gonna tie one on.Be safe,Jim

tinner
12-31-2001, 08:48 AM
Okay guys,there are a few people I haven't heard from...just hoping you guys drop me a line by New Years day or I'll let the guys next in line get them.I don't want to pay for them out of my own pocket.Thanks,Jim

416 EXtreme
12-31-2001, 02:46 PM
I'd like a set also.No fenders.

rossano
01-02-2002, 10:10 AM
hello-

what is the purpose of those scoops?

thanks

01-02-2002, 10:22 AM
To help direct air,,,we all know that the 400ex doesn't have a radiator but it does have an oil cooler tucked up out of harms way,,and possible the air flows way. Some of us out here have big bore kits that produce more heat, than a stock motor. We know this isn't going to make a huge difference,but they look cool, not expensive,,it will direct more air flow over the oil cooler and toward the engine itself,which I think any little bit of help is great,,in keeping these air cooled engines running a little cooler. I take it you don't like them???

rossano
01-02-2002, 10:32 AM
i think the scoops look cool and are a great idea. if i ever do the big bore kit, i will definitley consider a set of your scoops!
-rossano

out4sand
01-02-2002, 07:55 PM
tinner -

I would really like a set as well. Let me know if you can fit me into this batch or if I need to wait until the next. I can send you a check or whatever will work best for you (24 smackers right) I have cut fenders.

out4sand@yahoo.com or give me a buzz anytime 1-800-329-5070 ext. 02

thanks - Mike

http://out4sand.tripod.com

Tommy 17
01-02-2002, 08:25 PM
hey tinner delete some pms i can't pm u ur inbox its full... glad to hear my money arrived ok and did u like the pretty flower card i put it in haha

tinner
01-03-2002, 04:46 PM
Hey guys,just letting you know that I am not taking orders at this moment.I have had a couple people not respond that said they wanted them. After the weekend I will more than likely have two more sets and I believe Mystic falcon and 400exracerx are next in line.I don't want to over book myself and take $$ to make more,but I will gladly get ahold of the people that have responded after the initial order. Although the next time I post for these it will be in the classified section. I picked up the 4'x10' sheet today and it BARELY fit in my truck,it's a full size short box and I'm lucky to have a cap .BTW,I deleted some PM's.See ya guys:)

01-04-2002, 07:27 PM
so when will you be sending these out. My moneys on the way and i forgot how much to send before i reached the bank so i sent $30. If thats more than you wanted keep it.

tinner
01-05-2002, 06:24 AM
I'm heading out to the garage in about an hour to start laying them out.I picked up a bunch of hardware last night. I have to make a new template w/revisions on it (this will take a little time) and cut them out. I am thinking that I will probably ship out Tues. or Wed. ( I need boxes) the place I usually get boxes from were out yesterday. The people I havent recieved $$ from will have to wait until it is recieved before I ship. If I get personal checks I will wait until they clear before I ship...I believe it's three days to clear.$ 24.00 was the grand total with shipping in the states.

01-05-2002, 04:35 PM
while i sent my money order out thurs or friday so it should be there about tues or wensday

01-05-2002, 06:33 PM
I really like the scoops. I have a '99 EX with full stock fenders. I definitely want a set at the targeted price. Just let me know when they are ready.

tinner
01-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Just giving you guys an update. The aluminum worked out slick...if you like the stainless ones you will love these. I also added the third bracket,it worked out great. I will try and post a new pic tonight on a bare frame so you can see how it mounts up. I have 8 sets formed up right now,I just need more boxes. I will ship out tomorrow or Wednesday and will inform the people who should expect them as soon as I do so. Also...I will have more scoops so I'll be in touch with the people who were interested before. Thankyou to the people who have sent $$ so far. You guys won't be dissapointed.Jim

tinner
01-07-2002, 04:47 PM
Here are some pics. Now there are some people that were interested if you have a chance PM or email me,I will be checking the list and try to make contact with people who had dibs. I will figure out how many extra sets I have tomorrow.Thanks.

tinner
01-07-2002, 04:49 PM
One more....

Tommy 17
01-07-2002, 05:46 PM
i can't wait to put mine on... they look awesome man...

01-07-2002, 07:16 PM
very nice, i can't wait to recive mine. keep us posted on them. Thanks

tinner
01-09-2002, 06:20 PM
I didn't make it to the Post office today...I ran out of some stuff. For everyone who has paid me...the scoops are going out tomorrow after work. I would start looking for them on Monday. If you have questions about mounting them up email or PM me. Also I will have more sets in a week,I'm busy this weekend but will get in touch with people next in line.

Foxrage
01-09-2002, 07:29 PM
Those things look nice!!! get some Mothers aluminum polish and they will really look good how long do you think you will do this because i want on the second batch. Thanks

bmphone
01-10-2002, 08:06 AM
once again your mailbox is full. I want a set as soon as you are making more. let me know bmphone@aol.com

tinner
01-10-2002, 05:01 PM
My mailbox is now empty. I sent out everyone's except Rico...I have to get to a FED EX drop off tomorrow after work,sorry. As for everyone else that paid start looking for them on Saturday. Some were 2 day delivery and the rest are supposed to be 4day depending on location.They are coming through the U.S. mail. I have been busy this week,but will get back to people by the weekend about the next batch.After this next shipment I will be moving this to the classifieds.I have 8 sets needing to be finish cut and formed.Jim

01-12-2002, 10:02 AM
hey, tinner just got the scoops. they look good. thanks

tinner
01-12-2002, 01:59 PM
Good,let me know when you have them on. The front clamps measurement from front of the frame to front of the clamp is around 7"-7 1/4". You'll have to adjust a little 'til they sit right and all clamps are in place. Rico,I sent your stuff out priority mail,I've been busy to the point of just sending it out without really having to search for a drop off. See ya.

NJ300ex
01-12-2002, 02:33 PM
Since you have a 250x do you think you could try and make a set for the 250x/300ex.

tinner
01-12-2002, 02:53 PM
I'm possibly going to be looking into that also.The only problem is that I don't have the aftermarket oil cooler to base the scoops off of.But yes I was already asked about it and may be making these in the future.

01-12-2002, 04:37 PM
i had them on in like 15 mins. after i got them. They fit good. Not hard to put on at. They look good. I don't know how functional they'll be but they look cool and can hold some stickers. I also am now planning to buy that oil coolerfrom four stroke tech so i'm sure i'll have to modify them. So what did you use to cut the.

NJ300ex
01-13-2002, 07:05 PM
If you decide to make the 250x/300ex air scoops please let me know so i can order some.

tinner
01-13-2002, 07:10 PM
Does anyone have pics of a 300ex with an oil cooler?? If ya can post a pic, a close up would be great.Thanks

tinner
01-14-2002, 02:56 PM
Anyone besides Rico get them today???

Tommy 17
01-14-2002, 03:23 PM
i got mine tinner... they are on... they look sweet as :devil home... they bolted on easy i even did it with the plastic still on it which was quite fun... i will put my friends set on tomorrow... i didn't even put one of the black things on it seem sturdy with out them... j/w do u have any problems ever of the bolts rattling loose bc i didn't put on lock tight i forgot too... thanks for makin them for me.... later TOMMY

NJ300ex
01-14-2002, 04:29 PM
The problem with the 300ex oil cooler is that everytime i have see one with it they have it mounted up in the front part of the frame right behind the bumper. I am going to get one and i think they are only held on with zip ties so i will see if i can mount it in a different spot. Or we could ask four stroke tech to see if they can mount it there.

tinner
01-14-2002, 05:53 PM
I would use locktite on the bolts.When I made the stainless ones,I liked them but they seemed a little loose.When I made the aluminum ones after thinking about it I decided it would be much better to have a third strap or clamp.Well the clamp worked great if you didn't want an oil tank:D ,So I went for the zip tie and that worked well,and will keep it from possibly vibrating.I would strap it up. Make sure the "fat" side of the strap goes towards the outside of the frame and towards the scoops,that is how I designed it. Your better off I think,hey it's there. NJ300ex,I will have to take a look at the frame a little better,I still am buying parts for it so I havent done much to that machine to see what options there are. 400ex21....do you have any pics??? I havent seen the "finished" scoops on a machine,just a frame.

Tommy 17
01-14-2002, 07:10 PM
sry tinner i don't have any pics at the moment... i can't scan them in a virus ate all my scanner programs... i will post one asap when i get it fixed... i will lock tight and put the other strap on tomorrow... thanks... tommy

tinner
01-16-2002, 05:38 PM
Anyone else get theirs yet???? Tomorrow should be the absolute latest. Let me know.... Thanks

01-17-2002, 06:16 AM
I got mine on monday and have them mounted up as I type this. But for those of you that have steering dampners that mount to the front of the frame you will have to make a few adjustments but nothing to worry about,,I'll get some pics soon..

wyndzer
01-17-2002, 07:24 PM
Got mine today, I'll put them on tomorrow. Maybe I'll just put them on my desk for a while, 'cause they look good!

NacsRacing400
01-18-2002, 01:27 PM
I got mine on Thursday and put them on, They look sweet. Before i put them on i polished them and they really shine now. Too bad I have to take them back off because im gusseting my frame and geting it painted on monday. Thanks again. Ill try to get a picture off my quad asap.

fire x 2000
01-18-2002, 02:55 PM
Hey Tinner if have the time and are still taking orders for the scoops please let me know. You can either e-mail me @ fire590@aol.com or post an answer. Thanks

tinner
01-19-2002, 02:40 PM
There are new pics up in the classified section.They are $26.00 with the hardware...delivered.Go there and check it out.Thanks

02-03-2002, 04:11 PM
i also am very iterested in those scoops i also have race cut fenders