PDA

View Full Version : learn to powdercoat

fasterz
04-18-2003, 09:06 AM
i saw someone on hear just did their first powdercoating and i was wondering what u need to do a complete powdercoat, from start to finish and how hard is it to do. how much does everything cost? how much does the paint cost? thanks

Woodsrider
04-18-2003, 09:11 AM
Around $250 plus a oven will get you hooked up for hobby stuff. Go here>Eastwood (http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/)

It aint all that hard, if you can follow instructions and practice proper cleanliness you can get great results in little or no time at all. There are alot of guys on here doin it now, I remeber when it was just Chris Waters showin his wares, then it spread like SARS.

fasterz
04-18-2003, 03:31 PM
wat kind of an oven? like the one in the kitchen?

Woodsrider
04-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Yep, you should be able to get one for around $75.

TeamC&GRacer
04-18-2003, 04:53 PM
powdercoating is not hard at all, the hard part is having all of the right materials. Sometimes it can get expensive depending what you do and what you buy. Some things you need are an oven, gun, powders, paint booth, maybe a grinding wheel, proper ventilation. Once ya have everythin ya need its cake from there! dont get discouraged over the first couple of tries, good work comes as you practice! have fun!!

QuAdRaCeR244
04-18-2003, 05:07 PM
i think i might have to get into this:D

fasterz
04-19-2003, 05:09 AM
can u just do it in a garage? and do i need a sandblaster too?

QuAdRaCeR244
04-19-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by fasterz
can u just do it in a garage? and do i need a sandblaster too?

that's waht i was kinda wondering:ermm:

CHAUNCY
04-19-2003, 07:29 AM
I was wondering if you can Powdecoat in a garage too:confused:

Woodsrider
04-19-2003, 07:37 AM
If you have the room in the garage then yes, you will need a 220 outlet there for the oven though. And no you dont need a sand blaster but they are nice to have. I strip parts with aircraft stripper then touch them up in the blast cabinet, again they're nice but not a "must have".

QuAdRaCeR244
04-19-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by soggyrider
If you have the room in the garage then yes, you will need a 220 outlet there for the oven though. And no you dont need a sand blaster but they are nice to have. I strip parts with aircraft stripper then touch them up in the blast cabinet, again they're nice but not a "must have".

thanks for the help:)

CHAUNCY
04-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Where is the cheapest place to buy an oven ?
Or is it easier to just make your own ?

toby400ex
04-19-2003, 09:09 AM
buy one at a garage sale or something

Woodsrider
04-19-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
buy one at a garage sale or something

Look in the buy-n-sell, or try the local used appliance places. Look in the phone book under "Used Applianences"$50 to $75 should get you a used oven.

Rip_Tear
04-19-2003, 02:15 PM
Do you have problems with the PC going into the bolt holes? What do you do if it goes in them? Does it matter what kind of metals you use? (Can you do it to aluminum?). Why do you need a paint booth? Just so it doesnt go every where?

You should not use the oven for anything else... NO baking food in it after (Thought I better mention that)

Thanks! :D

2k2-300exnj
05-11-2003, 05:19 PM
i am getting into it soon but i am gonna need an electric oven... im getting the eastwood gun with 2 sample powder kits the trans and standard colors then the prism additive and the primer

RuffRyder400ex
05-12-2003, 12:11 AM
would it hurt to use the oven in ur kitchen?

RuffRyder400ex
05-12-2003, 12:48 AM
and can you powdercoat the engine? and pipe?

CBW
05-12-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by RuffRyder400ex
would it hurt to use the oven in ur kitchen?

You dont want to use the oven in your kitchen,,,,the fumes from the curing process would fill the whole house.......and thats not a good idea. A seperate oven outside the house is mandatory for curing powder...........

And about doing engine cases and headpipes.........there are high temp powders for the pipes and the engine can be done but must be totally taken apart withall bearings, gaskets,,,,,,etc removed for proper powder application and to avoid damage to internal parts........

RuffRyder400ex
05-12-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by CBW
You dont want to use the oven in your kitchen,,,,the fumes from the curing process would fill the whole house.......and thats not a good idea. A seperate oven outside the house is mandatory for curing powder...........

And about doing engine cases and headpipes.........there are high temp powders for the pipes and the engine can be done but must be totally taken apart withall bearings, gaskets,,,,,,etc removed for proper powder application and to avoid damage to internal parts........
k that makes sence. i am pretty dum