PDA

View Full Version : street bike insurance

dj416
04-17-2003, 02:25 PM
i'm looking into getting a street bike (cbr, gsx....) something fast and was calliing to get prices on insurance and :eek: it was like almost 3g's a year. is that normal or does anybody else pay that much. i'm 21 with 2 speeding tickets so i know that really hurts. anybody else????

derekhonda
04-17-2003, 04:21 PM
haha, 24 bucks a month here, full coverage

age 17
no tickets

(but the secret is, ((dont know if you can cause your 21)) have the insurance in your dads name and you as a rider)

j37
04-17-2003, 06:33 PM
Ive heard that insurance on a crotch rocket is alot more expensive than just something like a cruising bike. You should check the prices of insurance for bikes other than a CBR's or GSXR's. And if there is a big price difference in insurance cost just get the fastest cruising bike or whatever. Just a suggestion though.

Nausty
04-17-2003, 06:52 PM
lol, i'm guessing he wants to buy one to do wheelies, endo's and high speed runs though. Thats why insurance is so high on them though. What about just liability insurance?

BrianWrightR6
04-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
haha, 24 bucks a month here, full coverage

age 17
no tickets

(but the secret is, ((dont know if you can cause your 21)) have the insurance in your dads name and you as a rider)

yehh you can get it in your dad's name (I am 24) and would never be able to afford it any other way!

kwatts400
04-18-2003, 03:21 AM
I'm 27 and I pay a little over $600 a year. I bought my first streetbike when I was 21 and I paid $2400 a year for insurance. Joining the ama will help, it gives you a discount on your insurance. Taking a riders safety course should help too.

The thing that is really expensive for streetbikes is "collision". Mine is more then half of the total cost. Prices are high for sportbikes because all that plastic is expensive to replace if you wreck.

Tommy 17
04-18-2003, 03:53 AM
my friends R1 is only 3700$ a year haha

the trick to a street bike around here is this...

if the bike is paided off and u own it 100% its usually half the price to insure...

also look around... some companies charge by the type of bike like if it says cbr600F4I or CBR600 RR or YzF 600 R6 ur done... as soon as u see a letter after the cc of the bike they consider it a high performance racing bike... but if u buy a katana 600 its alot cheaper... its considered a whole differnt type of bike...

if u want the bikes with the letters after the cc look for a company that charges by the CC of the bike nad not the name... they will be alot cheaper...

my one friend has a katana 600 that he owns and shes like 300 to 400$ a year... my friend who owns about 1/8 of his cbr600F4i is payin 2700$ a year.... big differnce...

all 3 of the riders are 19 years old...

Bretmd94
04-18-2003, 06:27 AM
Try looking at Liability. You cant do too much damage to other cars with just a street bike. Might want to look into life insurance though. My freind got one and on the first day he got blown off the freeway by a big gust of wind (he didnt know how to react well) endowed in the dirt. Pretty much he was in a coma for over a month, died 5 diferent times, and had a 200,000$ hospital bill when he woke up (no insurance).

mrusk
04-18-2003, 09:15 AM
If this is your first bike i don't think you should go for a high performance 600. The goal is not to just survive. If you acctually want to learn how to ride decent get a smaller bike, ride it for a year, then go get a 600. You will be a much better rider and be able to smoke all your buddies.

matt

4punksdad
04-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Bretmd94
Try looking at Liability. You cant do too much damage to other cars with just a street bike. Might want to look into life insurance though. My freind got one and on the first day he got blown off the freeway by a big gust of wind (he didnt know how to react well) endowed in the dirt. Pretty much he was in a coma for over a month, died 5 diferent times, and had a 200,000$ hospital bill when he woke up (no insurance).

last time I checked, life insurance doesn't cover hospital bills for people who live.

dj416
04-19-2003, 09:23 AM
i was lookin into the "naked" sport bikes now like the honda 919 or triumph speed tripple. they got the same power and all the other sports bikes but pretty much no plastic. it looks pretty good in weird sortta way. i head insurance would be alot cheaper cause u got no plastik to f up

300exryder
04-19-2003, 09:55 AM
My bro bought a 1995 Ninja 250 for $1000 (from a friend) and is only paying about $200 a month. (just for liability) He is 17 and has a couple of people hit him, which makes his rates skyrocket. It doesn't matter who was at fault, it is still counted as an infraction.

derekhonda
04-19-2003, 11:29 AM
$200 a month or 200 a year?

Originally posted by 300exryder
My bro bought a 1995 Ninja 250 for $1000 (from a friend) and is only paying about $200 a month. (just for liability) He is 17 and has a couple of people hit him, which makes his rates skyrocket. It doesn't matter who was at fault, it is still counted as an infraction.

kwatts400
04-19-2003, 12:55 PM
If he's paying $2400 a year for a ninja 250, he needs to start shopping around. He only paid $1000 for the bike. Who is his insurance through?

Zuki
04-20-2003, 03:55 AM
With tickets you're screwed, period. (29 yrs old, no tickets/accidents) I was quoted 1600/yr on my new Gixxer by progressive (they suck), then got a quote from state farm for $513/yr. Same exact coverage, collision, comprehensive, and liability. Shop shop shop! On a second note, for your first bike, dont get a "true" sportbike IMO. A good, quick bike to learn on, that you can also stunt on if that's what you're looking for would be a suzuki sv650. Not so much plastic to pay for, vtwin motor, and is a very forgiving bike to learn on. It's not a matter of IF you will lay it down/wreck, its a matter of WHEN. Check out some forums for bikes. I stay mostly on www.gixxer.com but there's plenty more out there. Good luck

mrusk
04-20-2003, 03:47 PM
As soon as i sell my R i am gettin a brand new sv650s as my first bike. Even though all my friends got 600ss as their first bikes i am going to take the advice of most experience riders i've talked to. I ain't buying a bike to look cool, i am buying a bike to ride and get good at riding.

matt

Zuki
04-21-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by mrusk
As soon as i sell my R i am gettin a brand new sv650s as my first bike. Even though all my friends got 600ss as their first bikes i am going to take the advice of most experience riders i've talked to. I ain't buying a bike to look cool, i am buying a bike to ride and get good at riding.

matt

Smart move man. You WONT be disappointed, that SV has more power than you think. Plus you can still buy full fairings for it later. Enjoy it man!