PDA

View Full Version : Reliability problems with Gas Gas

300 gasgas
04-17-2003, 12:06 PM
Has anyone else been having problems with their Gas Gas? My 300 is in the shop more then it is ridden. I have had electrical problems, none of the lights work, had a brokem motor mount, chain prematurely worn out, the rear axle bearing went out, the fuel cap leaks gas all over the motor, the seat mount tabs had to reinforced which caused the seat cover to rip.

lt250r91
04-17-2003, 04:23 PM
Sorry to hear your having problems with yours.

I've notice the seat tabs on mine have been bent down and my seat is torn a little.

The rear sprocket on mine is worn out, but that is do to nasty racing conditions at the 1st 4 GNCC's plus it being aluminum doesn't help.

I notice my chain keep getting loose after racing. I take to another racer and he told me to remove the rubber gromet that sits between the housing bolts you used to adjust the chain. He said the material is to dense and doesn't allow the swingarm to pinch tight enough on the housing. I remove it and it has seem to fix that problem.

Only other thing has been it overheating, this is do to the material they use on their impellers. The impeller needs to be made out of a type of metal not plastic or rubber.

oynot400
04-22-2003, 05:28 AM
Cry me a river! :rolleyes: You don't have any problem except in your head. :eek: Mine has been in the shop more than yours. Your just upset that mine is finially running good and yours isn't.
I just talked with Terry, your axle parts are in. ;)

FASTeR
04-26-2003, 04:31 AM
I've been on the phone with john @ gasgas in florida and my dealer, i havent had any problems except the speedo has yet to work lol, but he said they will take care of that, I also mentioned that it ran warm at low speed higher rpms, they are sending me a 450 type water pump impeller and new electric cooling fan, I am also runnin a banshee over flow bottle under the seat. My rear brake pads wore out in 6 rides, i ride in real sandy/eroded rock terrain, i am blaming it on that and brembo said the first few batches of pads were soft, well if they were they should replace them, o well got new braking pads on it now, their for late model ktms, sbs also has pads out for it. My lights red button got stuck, but this was to do using to much water pressure blowing mud down inside, i fixed this myself, with an allen wrench and contact cleaner, My seat tabs bent down, i am going to have them cut rewelded and gusseted, I will also move the airbox up, as this is what gasgas said to do to clear the swingarm under shock bottoming, you have to mount it higher and cut off the top, watch the rubber grommets on the post that support the nost of the seat, they get overloaded when the tabs bend down, i have homemade grommets on now.with safety wire over the end so they will not come off, I am also using steel bolts to hold the kickstarter on, GASGAS will work with you on problems you have, none of which are major, i would have never called any japanese quad manufacturer cause nothing would get done. I bough this quad for several reasons, 1. Its an excellent design. 2. the heart of it is proven and reliable the 300cc 2 stroke. 3. I wanted a modern 2 stroke quad that handled well and had better reliability than my 250r. 4. a quad i didnt need to sink 5,000 into to get it where i wanted it. 5.Dealer network that cares for the rider not profits. Mission accomplished here.

AndreS
05-13-2003, 10:43 AM
i just got my HP300 yesterday, did a short break-in cycle today. this thing has nutz!
i'm going over this list right now.
i've already changed out the kickstarter bolt with a longer (about 10mm) one & used locktite on it.
i've also been told to ground the voltage regulator directly to the engine.... or the fan regulator will meltdown.
how far up does the airbox need to go?

FASTeR
05-13-2003, 10:53 AM
I moved mine up 1/2 inch, It barely hits stock, I just installed the jet kit from ltr and powervalve cover, which i now highly recommend. I am also going to upgrade to a ims/fluidyne radiator or one from gt thunder. I have not had a problem with the cooling fan however gasgas is sending me a new water pump impeller (450 spec) and a new cooling fan motor that supposed to pull more air. If you have a newer one with bigger front shocks and stuff you prolly wont have any of those problems.

Tecate250
05-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Like wtf?????

I thought about getting a gas gas wild.
Thyen he gave me a price of 12 000 cnd and I laughed at his face.
I can go buy a 250r quad/trike lt or tecate and put 10 000 into it and have a better bike.

Plus the mechanic at my local gas gas deal is a f*** up.
Put a brand new piston in a cylinder and did not hone it. Bike ran for 10 seconds and blew up.

He said it was my fault and that I had to pay to fix it.

Plus my tecate 4 was f***ed over by GAS GAS.

Down with spanyards.

nacs400ex
05-15-2003, 12:23 PM
I thought those Gas Gas's were sweet, with these problems who knows:confused:

Dunlap
05-15-2003, 01:11 PM
I will be working with GAS GAS the rest of the year to help with tech problem on the 450.

lt250r91
05-15-2003, 03:07 PM
The only issue I've had has been it was overheating and that was fixed with the newer larger radiator. The quad is now screaming and flat out hauling. The suspension needed to be dailed in, but you can't expected a factory that produces this machine in the masses to have a the suspension spot on for every rider (not cost effience (sp)). I've been very happy with mine and it would take more money to build any other 2 or 4 stroke up to run with this thing in stock form. I migth even sell the cannondale at the end of the season for a 450 GasGas as a practice/back-up.

oynot400
05-16-2003, 03:19 AM
I will admit that I have had my share of problems with my 2 Gas Gas's. Since my 300 has been fixed, it has been running flawlessly. I am very pleased with mine. :D You have to expect some problems with a brand new machine like this. My only complaint is how slow Gas Gas is on getting parts.
I went riding last night with a buddy on his R. We ran about 1 1/2 hours. We decided to make a couple more laps and call it a night. At the end of the last lap his R started making some really bad noises. :( Mine ran great all night. :)
I am glad to hear that Gas Gas got Mickey Dunlap to help out with 450 problems. Now I know I want the 450 when Mickey gets done with it. :devil

AndreS
05-16-2003, 07:27 AM
tecate250- the GG dealers up there in Canada are paying more than what they retail for in the US from what i've heard. not sure why, but i think it has to do with who is importing them & what channels they go through. best bet for you to save money is to buy one in the US & take it home... if you want one.

nacs400ex- i haven't seen reports of any major problems yet such as axles bending too easily, major frame cracks, major engine problems or trannies blowing through the cases.... GG is taking care of its buyers, unlike some (jap) companies that give people with real issues the bird and finally fix the problem a year or two later.

Tecate250
05-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Nope.

Il be happy when my t4 is mint.
Any new quad "give me a break"

lt250r91
05-20-2003, 03:21 PM
Well, mine may not me overheating anymore, but now it is overpressurizing the system. At the Buccs race this past weekend the return radiator hose exploded and left me with a nice size burn on my leg. Starting to get tried of dealing with this issue. I'm going to try a different overflow bottle to see if it will reduce the pressure build up. I'll let everyone know what happens after the next GNCC. I've talked to GasGas about this issue and they are working to correct. They are looking into changing to a different radiator cap/ overflow system. Seems the cap and overflow system is not releasing enough pressure and is allowing it to build up to the point something has to let go. This is only happening in extreme coditions. For me it's been tight, muddy, woods races and it seems to happen right after a long up hill where I've been on the wick hard. GasGas said that the only ones that are experiencing any overheat or related problems are East coast woods racers (most tends to be GNCC racers).

BTW we finished 5th at the BUCCS race was running 2nd and had a chance at maybe catching the leaders.

FASTeR
05-21-2003, 09:52 AM
Hey lt, did gasgas give you a new radiator? They are supposed to ship me a new water pump from the 450 design, a new radiator fan (hope it dosent sound like a chevy astro van now) and a new right side powervalve access cover to replace the one that leaks on mine. anyway if they gave you a new radiator i'll have to call up ol' juan to get me one. I'm not gonna fix their mistakes, I will be more than happy to help them but I dont have the money nore the time to rebuild this thing. P.S what is your jetting, I have the lt-racing jet kit and powervalve cover, mine tends to sputter just a hair through the midrange only if you are at low rpm's then pin it, it clears out fine, and runs good on the bottome. Think my airscrew should go in a 1/2 or so and maybe go up 1 or 2 clips on the needle? Right now i'm running a 48 pilot, ltr needle in clipe in #3 position, and a 180 main. it does run good elsewhere. p.s on the radiator thing, gt thunder said if he had a bike hed make a aluminum radiator for it, I also hear IMS/FLUIDYNE have one for it. I plan on running a banshee water bottle on mine when i get it setup for xc. do 400ex a-arms bolt up.. I hear they do.

cudaman
05-21-2003, 10:19 AM
is the 450 gg two stroke or four???

lt250r91
05-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Yes I have the new larger radiator. I'll have to talk to Lazurus at the GNCC to see if he is interested in using mine as a template for the radiator. Thanks for the info. As for the jetting I had the LTR jet kit installed before I bought mine so I don't the jetting specs, but mine doesn't have any miss in it.

Mickey Dunlap says they do for the 400ex but he hasn't tried to do it yet since the quad hadn't arrived the last time I talk to them. I'll as Chad at the GNCC next weekend.

lt250r91
05-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by cudaman
is the 450 gg two stroke or four???

The 450 is a fuel injected 4-stroke. Suggested retail is $8595.

Dirtwheels has a 2 page article on it in there June issue.

oynot400
05-21-2003, 02:53 PM
I learned something the other day I thought I would pass on. Have any of you had your gas tank slobber fuel? They ones that have been sold in Iowa have been leaking fuel terrible. If you take the gas cap off the tank and replace the gasket with an oring it will stop the leaking. ;) I am doing this trick this weekend.
As far as the a-arms I gave them a quick look, since I had both quads sitting around. Where the arms mount to the frame, the Honda is a little shorter, so to put them on the Gas Gas it would need a spacer or bushing of some type. Other than that I am not sure if they will fit or not. :confused:

AndreS
05-21-2003, 10:24 PM
i'm interested to know if anyone has sourced caster adjustable upper A-arms in the stock length & also, some sort of radiator protection to fit my radiator(wide version).... i may just build one... Les at LT racing suggested using '97 CR250 louvers, but i'm not sure if it's big enough.

i made a flag mount from a piece of angle aluminum today & it bolted up easy on the left side of the rear grab bar with a couple 6mm bolts... i just used the factory holes in the gusset.
also installed the LTR PV cover & 120mm pull rods, the dog bones were a little bit of a pain to put in, but finally went... the linkage bumped the swingarm... i wonder if that'll cause problems?
i'll have the case saver on before the end of the week, and maybe do the LTR jet kit after this weekend.... i wonder if the kit is too lean for dunes riding?(wfo)

AndreS
05-21-2003, 11:50 PM
Smackover just put up a new board for Gas Gas ATV's
check it out Smackover forum (http://www.smackovermotorsports.com/html/forum.htm)

oynot400
05-22-2003, 05:28 AM
What is the link to LT racings web site?

Fred55
05-22-2003, 05:40 AM
Hey oynot400, were you racing at cedar rapids last weekend? My friend said he saw a gas gas and I thought it might be you.

oynot400
05-22-2003, 07:26 AM
No that was not me. That was another guy. I talked with them for a while. Nice bunch of guys. That CR track scares me a little, too many riders. They had 29 in C class and over 20 in B. I am going to run it sometime this summer. I just hope some of the other riders will thin out.
Later, :D

Fred55
05-22-2003, 07:35 AM
O ok, I was just wondering if it was you, when my friend said he saw some weird quad with like a "2 foot silencer" as he put it, I thought it might be you on your Gas-Gas!

lt250r91
05-22-2003, 11:43 AM
oynot400

www.lt-racing.com

AndreS
Daniel from Grove City Motorsports used a CR louvers and a truck mud flap. Looks pretty good. You might want to give him or Rick a call and ask what he used and how he made it work. Heres a link to there site
http://www.grovecitymotorsports.com/

BTW a guy in Texas has a site on the GasGas Quad:
www.gasgasatv.com

Tell your dealers and aftermarket guys to contact the guy running this site so he can put links and their info on the site. He's added stuff every day. check it out.

Scottydawg
05-23-2003, 02:30 PM
2003 GasGas 300, stock and staying that way!

:confused:

Dosnt sound to me like any of these finely enginered
GasGas machines are staying stock!

With all the money they are charging you for these machines,
they should be able to afford to send at least one of their
"ENGINEERS" to a real school and figure out what the F
they are trying to build.

:confused2

250x#93
05-26-2003, 01:16 PM
Guys what did u expect it aint a HONDA!!!:devil: J/K guys, really though they do look like some sweeeeet arse bikes:cool: