PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with this Axle Bearing ASAP!!!

kc 300EX
04-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Ok, I am in the process of replacing my axle bearings right now, and one of the bearing BROKE, only the outer race is left inside my carrier. Its being one helllll of an SOB right now and I dont know how to get it out!:mad:
I cant tap it out because it is right up against the lip in the carrier. What else can I do??????????
Please Help!!!

jerry-89-250R
04-17-2003, 01:49 PM
i have used a dremel tool with a cutting wheel and cut the race, just be careful not too cut into the carrier,

dj416
04-17-2003, 01:52 PM
i,ve had to replace 2 like that. u have to take a cutoff wheel on a dremeal (something like that) tool and cut it into 2 peices and u can take a flat head screwdriver or something and pry it out. u'll probly cut into the carrier alittle but but it wont hurt anything as ling as u dont get carried away, just be sure and file it back down if it leavs a burr

RideRed400StYlE
04-17-2003, 02:43 PM
yepp, pull out the dremel... and when you go to put the new bearngs in throw your carrier in the freezer for about an hour before you do it. then when you put the bearing in they will drop right in..

kc 300EX
04-18-2003, 12:33 PM
well I dremeled it out successfully. Although it was about 27 times harder than it should of been because i didnt have any cutting wheels. I used every other tip that came in the box though, and it eventually worked, lol. Thanx guys

Guy400
04-18-2003, 02:25 PM
With as good of engineers as Honda has why all the trouble with the axle bearings? I've never changed the bearings on a Honda carrier but everyone I've ever talked to says that it was a PITA. I've changed numerous Suzuki bearings and they've always tapped out with a hammer and a small piece of wood. They were tight but they came out.

Anyone ever remove the carrier and heat it with a torch and see if the bearng comes out easier that way?

toby400ex
04-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
With as good of engineers as Honda has why all the trouble with the axle bearings? I've never changed the bearings on a Honda carrier but everyone I've ever talked to says that it was a PITA. I've changed numerous Suzuki bearings and they've always tapped out with a hammer and a small piece of wood. They were tight but they came out.

Anyone ever remove the carrier and heat it with a torch and see if the bearng comes out easier that way?
Thats the actual way its supposed to be done guy:huh

Guy400
04-18-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Thats the actual way its supposed to be done guy:huh So why don't they do it?? 99% of everyone that I've ever heard talk about replacing Honda axle bearings has had one h3ll of time in doing so or wound up replacing the carrier along with the bearings because they wrecked it.