PDA

View Full Version : Airbox Lid Vs. Dad

Cody_300ex
04-17-2003, 09:53 AM
I can take the airbox lid off my qaud and it run just fine. (not rich or lean) And when i take it off i absoulty LOVE the way it sounds. Plus me AND my brother can notice a big increase in the power. But here's the deal every time i take it off my dad tells me to put it back on. He say's i'll suck a piece of trash or dirt in my engine. I think that he's full of bullcrap. So evreybody thats running w/o a Airbox Lid tell me if I sould go with my dad or run w/o it on there. Tell me any of your opinons Good or Bad
P.S. I run a UNI Air Filter

CoDy

AtvMxRider
04-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
I can take the airbox lid off my qaud and it run just fine. (not rich or lean) And when i take it off i absoulty LOVE the way it sounds. Plus me AND my brother can notice a big increase in the power. But here's the deal every time i take it off my dad tells me to put it back on. He say's i'll suck a piece of trash or dirt in my engine. I think that he's full of bullcrap. So evreybody thats running w/o a Airbox Lid tell me if I sould go with my dad or run w/o it on there. Tell me any of your opinons Good or Bad
P.S. I run a UNI Air Filter

CoDy

My advice is if your dad told you to do something than do it.:rolleyes:

Giz400ex
04-17-2003, 09:58 AM
I don't have a lid and I have a K&N with the outerwear and haven't had any problems:p

brokeitin3
04-17-2003, 09:59 AM
id listen to my dad. thats why hes called dad, because he bought you that quad and if you screw it up what do think hes gonna say then?

Cody_300ex
04-17-2003, 10:01 AM
still guys do think im going to suck up a peice of trash or dirt clod. what i wanted to no is the guys who do run w/o airbox lids have ever had any type of engine failuer

AtvMxRider
04-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
I paid 1,000 dollars. he paid 500 dollars

He's still your dad and he can still take it from ya.

jay's 300
04-17-2003, 10:10 AM
I would just drill some holes in it and put some uni vents in them, just a thought.

EXDUNER127
04-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Dont take it off unless u use a k&n with outer wear, better and safer.

WildCatRacer
04-17-2003, 10:48 AM
Im sure for the type of riding you do that the power gains aren't worth the troubles with your old man. just do as he says. :cool:

Sportrax10
04-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by EXDUNER127
Dont take it off unless u use a k&n with outer wear, better and safer.
I doubt its any safer then a UNI.

As many already said, nothing may happen but you should still listen to your dad.

Sportrax10
04-17-2003, 12:18 PM
To answer your question a little better, it is safe as long as you clean your UNI more often and keep it oiled right.

JD400exrider
04-17-2003, 03:01 PM
I am a father of two teenagers and I am really impressed with your guys replies. "Listen to your DAD" :cool:

If dad is paying the bill on your quad (and even if he is not) and if something goes wrong your going to here the I told you so and he is likely going to make you pay the lesson.

I run a UNI filter with a modified lid large hole with an outerwear over the opening. Gives you the air with out the dirt clogs. ;) and i agree keep it clean and oil it right.

Good luck and don't forget listen to your Dad :D

3x440ex
04-18-2003, 12:03 AM
i used to run without one until i dropped in a deep hole of sandy water that got sucked up into my carb and ended up in my case, two weeks later i had to rebuild the motor.....i have a 12 year old son who rides and i make him leave his on because i don't want him to make the same mistake as i did..

250EXking
04-18-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by jay's 300
I would just drill some holes in it and put some uni vents in them, just a thought.

and get some outerware and you should be fine.:D