PDA

View Full Version : Sanding clutch plates

forum
04-17-2003, 06:40 AM
Okay my buddy has got a dilema. He screwed his clutch plates last weekend. and hes got a race this weekend. He ordered new ones to come in tuesday. But i was wondering if We were to sand them with sand paper how long would they last before they fade again? I know you can sand them. I just want to know how long it'll last. WIll it last atleast 2 moto's or maybe more.

300exazzkikr
04-17-2003, 06:48 AM
What kind of bike? If it's a two stroke you could put automatic transmission oil in there for a quick fix. I've heard of people doin that before. For a four stroke, i don't see why it wouldn't work if you sanded them down, Not too thin tho.

forum
04-17-2003, 07:01 AM
its a 400ex

airheadedduner
04-17-2003, 07:14 AM
I don't know about sanding plates. That sounds bad to me. What I always do when installing a new clutch is rough up the steels. Find some flate concrete surface and makes a figure 8 patten. I forgot where I got that from.

I would never use ATF in a manual tranny. It just does not have the shock protection.

big-guy
04-17-2003, 11:38 AM
it's actually not uncommon to run atf in a manual tranny for drag racing. it offers less resistance and it's not like it'll wear much in a quarter mile anyway...

oregonrider89
04-17-2003, 01:16 PM
A buddy of mine who went to MMI in Arizona said you can sand the fibers on a two-stroke and they should last a couple of motos. I bet the same is true for a four-stroke. They might even last longer because you don't have to slip the clutch as often. Its worth a try. He can at least race a little.

oregonrider89

airheadedduner
04-18-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by big-guy
it's actually not uncommon to run atf in a manual tranny for drag racing. it offers less resistance and it's not like it'll wear much in a quarter mile anyway...

I know but I hate the Idea. JHO.

In a real pinch, if he don't use the clutch a whole lot you can add an extra plate to the clutch pack and lock up the clutch. But that would make starting/stopping a *****.

oregonrider89
04-18-2003, 12:14 PM
I don't think I'd add an extra plate. Just rough them up with a little sanding, it should work for him.

oregonrider89