PDA

View Full Version : 400EX / Z400 Shootout in the mags, anyone have one so I can read it?

mrbones
04-17-2003, 03:49 AM
Does anyone have a scan of the latest 400EX vs Z400 shootout in any of the ATV magazines or know where I can find it? I searched dirtwheelsmag.com and couldn't find anything. Thanks!!

bradley300
04-17-2003, 04:13 AM
i can sum it up for ya'

"we here at dirtwheels have decided the z400 does everything way better than a 400ex could ever dreamed. we will forget the fact that this is mainly due to Honda suspension design on the z. the z also blows away o 400ex on track and trail thanks to the huge power advantage.

in reality they are extremely close in all areas, but being on a honda forum i would say the only reason i would want a z is b/c of the liquid cooling. (who cares about reverse, ride one quad w/o it for a while and you will never think you need it again)that huge power advantage is 2 hp and a little torques, the equivelent of an ex with a pipe and jets, and airfilter

04-17-2003, 04:17 AM
those magazines are somewaht unreliable, the only thing which would make me want a z is the liquid cooling, but id rather have good suspension and durability and reliability but thats just me, if your gonna xc or trail ride then eith will be fine u might like the z more then becasue of liquiid cooling and reverse in the mud and tight areas, but if u planned on mxing at all the 400 is what id pick

mrbones
04-17-2003, 08:53 AM
I ride in the woods and small MX sand tracks. I just looked at a Z400 and a 400EX at the local dealer. No doubt the Z is a nice quad, but I love the simplicity of the 400EX. No radiator, no cooling fan to worry about. The shifting reminds me of my old '86 200x. It's short and solid. As I've learned recently, I don't need a lot of power to have fun where I ride. My 200x was great, just wish it had 4 wheels and the extra power to go with the added weight. Only 2 HP difference between the Z and the EX? I personally don't think I'll miss it. My current quad has reverse and I've used it twice in 3 months. My previous 6 ATVs had no reverse, no biggie to me anyway.

The dealer here wanted $5699 for the Z or the EX. I laughed at him and asked him what he really sells the EX for and insisted $5699. I laughed some more and walked out.

I'm going to look at an '03 400EX today with very low hours. The guy wants $4300 for it. That's sounds pretty reasonable. It even comes with a helmet, goggles, and gloves. That's always a good sign.

04-17-2003, 02:42 PM
around here they sell for 45-47 brand new:confused:

mrbones
04-17-2003, 03:18 PM
The sales people at the Honda dealers in Tampa are on crack. I bought the '03 for $4300. It's in near mint condition and had the owner's manual, 3 quarts of Honda oil, oil filters, 2 sets of goggles, a new HJC helmet and a pair of gloves. Overall I think I'll have some fun this weekend. Anyone want to buy a Raptor? I have one for sale.

250EXking
04-18-2003, 12:28 AM
in dirtwheels and all the other magazines, they are saying the z400 is just one step ahead of everything over the 400ex. except maintmance wise. they said the 400ex is a little easier to work with. the z has a bigger advantage with the liquid cool engine. only if the suspension and power was a little better on the ex it would be able to compete. oh well honda will come out with their crf based quad and smoke everything.