PDA

View Full Version : Need technical articles written for new technical section

Ben
04-17-2003, 02:46 AM
The new look for the site is very close to being released and I am looking for people to do some new technical articles. I already have a couple product reviews and one little technical article, all of which will be released with the new look (so those of you who have sent them in, don't dispair!). Here are some technical articles I would like written, please let me know if you will help out :)

1. Engine removal
2. Drive chain installation and adjustment
3. Bearing carrier installation
4. Installing handbar grips
5. Shaving your fenders
6. Rebuilding the top end on a four stroke
7. Rebuilding the top end on a two stroke
8. All the important torque specs on a 400ex, 300ex, 250ex, 250r
9. Primer discussing the important aspects of rims, i.e. what offset is proper for different applications, the difference in performance of rolled edge rims vs. non-rolled edge.
10. Proper winter (or long term) storage of a quad
11. Trouble-shooting the 400ex's finicky cold starting nature
12. Removing the choke.
13. Breaking the bead on tires (using a safe manner) and dismounting tires at home.
14. Proper engine break-in

Basically I am looking for great tip articles/tips to add to our Tech Articles section. Anything is fair game, we want to add articles to help people out with common Honda sport ATV problems. If you have an idea for a article/tip please post it in this thread!

Rules for writing a technical article/tip:

1. If you plan on writing a tech article/tip please PM me and let me know what you and doing so I don't have two people writing the same thing.
2. Pictures would be great but are not necessary.
3. If you are writing a tech article/tip please make sure it is comprehensive and well written. I will not put up something that is poorly written, uses questionable mechanical instructions, or is basically just second rate. Not being mean but I don't want to waste your time or mine! :macho

The technical articles can be emailed to webmaster@exriders.com. Remember to let me know what you are writing beforehand though. Lets make this technical section the best on the net! :p

Ben

Taco
04-17-2003, 02:47 AM
How about a How to Rebuild your Steering Stabilizer?:D

airheadedduner
04-17-2003, 02:57 AM
Wish I would have saw this eariler. The last 2 weekends I did 2 complete rebuilds on R' motors, and had a digital camera handy.

How about one on jetting and how to read the plug?? That one comes up a lot. Or proper engine break in??

p@iNn3ck
04-17-2003, 03:07 AM
I can proof read or code it..... but not sure y'all want my redneck-tech articles.

Ben
04-17-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
How about one on jetting and how to read the plug?? That one comes up a lot. Or proper engine break in??

I just added the proper engine break-in to my list above! Great idea :p On the jetting - we have one little section on jetting but not the other two sections. If anyone wants to finish the jetting series that would be great - I just don't have the time.

cheetah
04-17-2003, 03:12 AM
I can do an article on how to install the sparks timing key. I did that yesterday and took some pictures to go with it. Let me know Ben.

BTW Thanks to UglyMotha, he answered all my questions and helped me get this thing running. Thanks man.;)

Ben
04-17-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by cheetah
I can do an article on how to install the sparks timing key. I did that yesterday and took some pictures to go with it. Let me know Ben.

Sounds good! Thanks :p

cheetah
04-17-2003, 03:22 AM
I'll get right on it.:cool:

airheadedduner
04-17-2003, 03:28 AM
I got 3 hours between 2 of my classes on monday and fridays. I'll see what I could come up with;)

Ben
04-17-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
I got 3 hours between 2 of my classes on monday and fridays. I'll see what I could come up with;)

Great, thanks! :D

4punksdad
04-17-2003, 04:54 AM
I have some pics of bearing carrier removal...........and tips for bearing removal and installation. if anyone is interested, I can supply pics.

04-17-2003, 04:59 AM
I did one on how to grease the swingarm pivot bolt. its found here:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48006

I can also write up a little thing on rim offsets because i have tried them all. from 2:3 to stock to 3:2 to 4:1. Let me know if u want me to. Thanks

Ralph
04-17-2003, 06:59 AM
want me to take the info from the FAQ how to's and turn them into articles? i could also write one on the 400 rebuild as soon as i do mine, i could do a plug reading one, engine removeal, endcap modification, headpipe modification, a-arms/shocks instalation, swingarm instalation, carrier, chain, brak bleading, Total Teardown, gusset locations, and the proper way to tighten a beadlock ring, let me know wich ones ya want and i will get to em tonight....

Castor-426ex
04-17-2003, 07:21 AM
you need to let 440ex4me do some tech articles

thats one slick mofo!!

dragger3
04-17-2003, 08:15 AM
I change my grips like every 20hrs i could do one of thise with pictures. Let me know i would be happy to do it, bu i am going to be gone untill the 28 so not until than.

Ralph
04-17-2003, 08:29 AM
400ex Choke Removal
Article for: 400ex

Estimated time: 3 beers or a couple of hours.

Difficulty Level: Medium

Description: Removing the choke plate to increase airflow. You maybe be thinking right now “How the heck will I get it started during winter time when I don’t have a choke?” Well the solution to that is 42 pilot jet, it solves the cold starting blues and you wont need the choke any more.

Purpose: A nice increase in throttle response. There is more response and most likely a little added horsepower as well. You can fell improvement all through the powerband.

Procedure

Step 1.

Remover Rear fender, Front fenders, Gas tank, air boot, and anything else that is needed to be removed to access/remove the Carb.

Step 2.

With the Carb removed Remove the yellow choke lever
!!BE CAREFUL TO AVOID STRIPING THE SOFT PHILIPS SCREW!!

Step 3.

Now look into the Carb and you will see to gold screws, remove them.
!!WHEN REMOVING THE SCREW HOLD THE CARB UPSIDE DOWN BECAUSE THERE WILL BE SMALL METAL SHAVINGS FROM REMOVING THE SCREW, THIS WAY THEY WON’T END UP IN YOUR ENGINE!!

Step 4.

Remove the clip (Fig. 1) and the rod that attaches to the butterfly will slide right out.

Step 5.

The hole pictured in fig 2 needs to be plugged. Put something over the hole and use a hose clamp to secure it. This hole would be good to use as an entrance for Carb cleaner. The hole plugged pictured in fig 3.

Step 6.

Put a 42 pilot in your 400 if you haven’t already done so. With the 42 pilot you will not need the choke. Just pump the throttle a few times before you hit the start button, and kind of feather the throttle at first. If you hear any popping' and cracking' or snapping sounds, it means you aren't jetted correctly.
Good luck,

ExRiders.com staff

Written By: Knighttime/ Lrd Mx400ex
Edited By: Lrd Mx400ex

Fig. 1
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=73791
Fig. 2
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=73792
Fig. 3
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=73793

Ralph
04-17-2003, 08:42 AM
Pilot Jet Installation/Exchange

Article For: 400ex

Estimated time: 1 beer and about 1 ½ hours

Difficulty Level: Medium

Description: Changing the Pilot Jet

Purpose: Either to correctly jet your bike for a new engine modification or to put in a 42 pilot jet to cure the winter starting troubles.

Procedure
1.Turn your gas valve to off
2.Start the quad and let it idle till it dies from lack of gas
3.Remove the rear seat and plastic
4.Remove the two 5mm allen head bolts from the front plastic
5.Remove the four 10mm bolts from under front fenders
6.Pull off gas cap
7.With a flathead scewdriver pop the black push locks up and out Pull off the tank cover
8.Pull the front plastic forward and out of the way of the gas tank
9.Remove the two 10mm tank bolts and two rubber straps on either side
10.Remove gas line from gas valve
11.Pull off tank
12.Remove 10mm bolt to air filter box and loosen phillips headed screw clamp on carb from airbox
13.Remove push lock from clear plastic intake tube
14.Remove clear catch container from clutch side of black air filter tube
15.Pull off the air filter and clear intake tube
16.Loosen phillips headed clamp on motor side of carb
17.Remove carb (watch for gas to drain when flipping carb over)
18.Remove four phillips head screws from bottom of carb (fig. 1)
19.Remove plastic ring from main jets (fig. 2)
20.Gently remove Pilot Jet from carb (fig. 3)
21.Gently screw in new #42 Pilot jet !!do not over tighten!!

22.Then go through these instructions in reverse to put your bike back together.

Good Luck,

Exriders.com Staff

Written By: Zingnut
Eddited By: Lrd Mx400ex

Fig 1.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=53196
Fig 2.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=53197
Fig 3.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=53198

Guy400
04-17-2003, 09:57 AM
I've already written one for Pro-Armor nerf installs.

04-17-2003, 01:59 PM
Article: Rim Offsets
Bike: 400ex
Size: 10x5 Fronts

There are 3 common front offsets for your 400ex. They are 2:3, 3:2, and 4:1. What these numbers mean is the measurment of the rims. The first number is the inside measure of the rim in inches and the second number is the out side measure in inches. The rim offset will not affect shock valving. It will not affect shock valving because the pivot points of the a arms are not changed and the leverage ratio stays the same. This means it will not bottom out any easier.

2:3 - This offset is 2 inches inside and 3 inches out side. This will give the 400ex the most width out of the others. It adds stability but causes more push in the turns and much more bump steer plus it will put more stress on parts like tie rods, spindles, hub studs, bearings, ball joints, and puts some on the upper a arm. A basic definition of bump steer is anything that changes the direction of steering of a tire other than from the driver/riders input. This bump steer is caused by the extra leverage the rims have on the handlebars. Also the offsets change the steering axis inclination (SAI). Stock rims are designed to work with the spindles to give the proper SAI to rim relationship so when you change offsets you change the SAI. So i would not reccomend 2:3 offsets.

3:2 - This offset is 3 inches inside and 2 inches out side. This is the most common offset and easiest to find. It adds one inch to a 400ex total. It eliminates almost all the bumpsteer from 2:3's but there is still a little. It is also very close to stock offset where the quad was designed to be. I would recomend this offset.

4:1 - This offset is 4 inches inside and 1 inch out side. This is usually only used on 400ex's with +3 a-arms to stay under 50 inches. This is not that common unless you go with the hyper rims but you can find it if you look. This is also close to stock offset but you will lose an inch when running it. 4:1's corner better and handle all around better then other offsets because it gives the right steering axis inclination (SAI). Stock offset is about 4:1 and the spindles are designed to have the right SAI with that offset. What SAI means is that if you drew a line thru the center of the ball joints while looking at them from the front, it should hit the ground at the same place a line drawn straight down thru the center of the rim does. This is why the spindle is made with the top ball joint closer to the frame than the lower joint. If you change the offset of the wheels these two lines no longer intersect at the ground. The more the difference the more the leverage that the tires have against you (the handlebars) when any size bump is hit. This leads to more bump steer. Changing from a 4:1 to 3:2 rim adds one inch of leverage to the SAI. A 2:3 rim which many people use to widen the front adds two inches of leverage and more bump steer. Also a steering dampner is used to help this bump steer. A steering damper trys to compensate for the bump steer by making the leverage push against it. People with wider offset wheels will notice a bigger improvement from a steering damper but it is still a helpful modification to any quad. So a wider quad does not always handle and perform better then a narrower one. So a 4:1 wheel gets the SAI where it was designed to be with the spindle to give you better contol. This better control can easily overide the advantage of a wider front for cornering so wider is not always better. Hopefully i have helped some others. Thanks!

i feel like i got repetitive and also i am not gunna take credit for all this because all i did was do a search and put it all together. All of the topics listed are easily found in a search and i will be willing to put it together for ben. Most of the info was from Boogiechile who seems to be very knowledgeable on this subject and if he would like he can add stuff to this. Also if i got any info wrong someone please correct me. Thanks again :macho

Taco
04-17-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Taco
How about a How to Rebuild your Steering Stabilizer?:D
Guess not:(

04-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Guess not:(

Do one. i would like to know how it is done incase i ever have to do mine. ;) :blah :macho :muscle:

Guy400
04-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Taco, if anyone has done it I'd like to see it as well. You hear people talk about rebuilding them but have never actually seen it done.

Taco
04-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Taco, if anyone has done it I'd like to see it as well. You hear people talk about rebuilding them but have never actually seen it done.

Fine ok I'll rebuild mine just quit twisting my arm!:D

Rip_Tear
04-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
I have some pics of bearing carrier removal...........and tips for bearing removal and installation. if anyone is interested, I can supply pics.

Sounds really good! I am trying to get mine out... I cant get by the lock nut... I couldn't get the exact size wrench for getting the lock nuts off (money and actually getting them) so I cut my own wrench for the larger nut, its an awsome fit and everything but it was too cold out to try and get it off tonight, I will know for sure tomorrow :D. Any help would be greatly appreciated 4punks! (All I am doing is greasing the carrier :D)

zephead400ex
04-18-2003, 06:17 AM
I've already written one for Pro-Armor nerf installs.
Do you have these? Did you have to grind down your footpegs to get them installed correctly? I did, not that big of deal though. Also, the mounting bracket where the 2 front mount bars on the the nefs; why was there not any predrilled holes for the screws to set securely into? Did you drill out holes in the bars to set the screws into?

See this is why we need write up's!:D

Guy400
04-18-2003, 09:22 AM
Yes, the footpegs did not fit quite right on my set. The welds for the rear tubes was a little in the way. Also, on the front tube mount, I just ran the screws into the nerfs until I started to hear the metal crush and then I stopped. These are first generation nerfs. It's my understanding that Pro Armor has corrected the issue with the footpegs with their second generation of nerfs. I like the integrated heel guards, though.

bsb64
04-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Ben don't know if any of these links will help.......

Mac Dizzy, excellent rebuild and porting site, all kinds of goodies

http://www.macdizzy.com

Mikuni Carb, rejetting and tuning

http://victorylibrary.com/tech/mikuni-2.htm

Animated 2 stroke site, moving pic of 2 stroke operation

http://w3.one.net/~jschust/animations.html

Spark plug color diagnosis/reading

http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/_techtalk/00000005.htm

Carb explanations

http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/moto/mcycle/carb101/carb101.html

Contraversial site on alternative break-in methods

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Hope you can use some of this

300exazzkikr
04-18-2003, 03:42 PM
I will be putting a 350x oil cooler on my 300ex one of these days. if you want that i can take pics along the way and write a little something up step by step.

Dune Surfer
04-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Hey Ben.
I will be doing a head gasket install. It's a pretty common problem. I will submit a detailed procedure with pics. This would also work for cam installs.

Mxbubs
04-19-2003, 12:57 PM
I want to do an article on how to break every possible part on the 400ex, I mean every part.....I have the required experience for such an undertaking...

Let me know if you need that put in writing....

:D

AtvMxRider
04-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Fine ok I'll rebuild mine just quit twisting my arm!:D

04-20-2003, 02:00 AM
BEN when can we expect this new section and the new look to go into effect?

cheetah
04-20-2003, 09:00 AM
Ben did you get mine? I e-mailed it to you. Just want to make sure you got it.

Chanman420q
04-20-2003, 02:35 PM
for the fenders id just use Sk8wickeds demonstation and for the grips, just spray a little WD40 in there, not a puddle just a tiny little squirt, they will slide right on

Mxbubs
04-21-2003, 07:39 AM
Why dont you sticky my conversion post so I dont have to keep sending PMs.:D

Just kidding, I dont mind guys.

wilkin250r
04-21-2003, 01:27 PM
I don't mean to sound greedy and all, I'm just wondering. Is there any incentive? Perhaps a discount coupon from one of the sponsers, a free T-shirt, anything like that? I'm not looking to get rich, I'm just used to getting paid for my technical writing.

JustRace
04-21-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I don't mean to sound greedy and all, I'm just wondering. Is there any incentive? Perhaps a discount coupon from one of the sponsers, a free T-shirt, anything like that? I'm not looking to get rich, I'm just used to getting paid for my technical writing.

are you serious? :huh

Guy400
04-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by JustRace
are you serious? :huh He's gotta be...

300exazzkikr
04-21-2003, 02:35 PM

somepeople like to do things to help eachother out and not expect anything in return. Kinda like share the wealth. help a fellow brotha out.

p@iNn3ck
04-21-2003, 03:22 PM

How bout a free membership to a kik ***** website... Ben won't charge you to stay.

Chanman420q
04-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by p@iNn3ck
How bout a free membership to a kik ***** website... Ben won't charge you to stay.

thats what i was going to say.. but u beat me to it

U gotta be kidding? this site costs so much to run each month and ur asking for a t-shirt to help out? wtf is that?

zephead400ex
04-22-2003, 10:30 AM
At this webiste...
http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/images/ratioa.gif

The gearing ratio chart would be something good to have to refer to on thissite, if sidewindersprockets would allow exriders to post the chart. Or we could just link the chart from this site.

peace

wilkin250r
04-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Perhaps you misunderstood the "I'm don't mean to sound greedy" and the "I'm not looking to get rich" part of my post.

I've helped out many people on this forum, I'm always willing to share my knowledge and experience. I've done some pretty extensive research on many things that apply to ATV's. I have no problem writing a quick how-to on a basic nitrous kit. However, with no incentive, I'm probably not likely to do 8 hours of research and write a complete 10-page article on the thermodynamics of different race fuels, octane boosters, and oxygenators in small engines.

So, before you all jump on my case, I'm not talking about a simple "How to change your axle." I'm talking about an engineering-level technical article.

Guy400
04-22-2003, 10:52 AM
Perhaps you misunderstood the "I'm don't mean to sound greedy" and the "I'm not looking to get rich" part of my post.

I've helped out many people on this forum, I'm always willing to share my knowledge and experience. I've done some pretty extensive research on many things that apply to ATV's. I have no problem writing a quick how-to on a basic nitrous kit. However, with no incentive, I'm probably not likely to do 8 hours of research and write a complete 10-page article on the thermodynamics of different race fuels, octane boosters, and oxygenators in small engines.

So, before you all jump on my case, I'm not talking about a simple "How to change your axle." I'm talking about an engineering-level technical article. This is a free website to all of us and Ben asked for VOLUNTEER's to write up technical articles of their choosing. Nobody's asking anybody to do 8 hours worth of research on any ATV topic. If you have first hand knowledge of something and wish to submit it to the site than do so. This applies to axle swaps through fuel thermodynamics. We've got guys like Mickey Dunlap, John Arens, Dana Creech, August Goebel (just to name a few) who have years of first hand experience of engine building, chassis building, racing, freestyle, and more and they give this information for free for the furtherance of our sport. There are no incentives given for these articles other than having your name printed on the article when it gets posted on the board.

Doibugu2
04-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Guy, what are you talking about? I have been getting a check from exriders since I joined. Everythread I respond to that makes people laugh, Ben sends me $5.00.
:bandit:

Ben is a tough critic though, I have only recieved 1196 checks for $5. (for you dumbies that didn't get it, I have over 1200 posts):eek:

wilkin250r
04-22-2003, 11:51 AM
This is a free website to all of us and Ben asked for VOLUNTEER's to write up technical articles of their choosing. Nobody's asking anybody to do 8 hours worth of research on any ATV topic. If you have first hand knowledge of something and wish to submit it to the site than do so. This applies to axle swaps through fuel thermodynamics. We've got guys like Mickey Dunlap, John Arens, Dana Creech, August Goebel (just to name a few) who have years of first hand experience of engine building, chassis building, racing, freestyle, and more and they give this information for free for the furtherance of our sport. There are no incentives given for these articles other than having your name printed on the article when it gets posted on the board.

A simple yes or no would have been sufficient.

The question about incentive was based on curiousity and clarification, not greed. Many, MANY publications offer something to authors for submitting their work. Hell, you can get $400 just for a stupid joke published in Readers Digest. I'm not DEMANDING money or anything of the sort. I've seen a couple websites that offer some small free product or a coupon for work submitted and published on the website. I'm simply ASKING Ben if he is offering anything, not DEMANDING that he does. Apparently, the answer is no, and that's ok. I don't have a problem with that.

I'm not a jerk. I still plan on writing a tech article on nitrous because I've seen alot of people ask questions about it, and even MORE people that are afraid of it because of some common misconceptions.

It's obvious that many people took my question in the wrong light. I did not mean to imply anything. I'm a pretty nice guy, if someone has a question that I can answer, I'll help them out.

wilkin250r
04-22-2003, 01:36 PM
I want to apologize. People started jumping my case because they thought I was being greedy with the question I was asking, and it was just a simple misuderstanding.

I made matters worse when I reacted with a "I'm smarter than you" attitude, and for that I sincerely apologize.

My question was just curiosity. Many websites and publications offer something for submitted work, and many of them don't. Either way is fine, I'm simply asking the question.

I hope all of you can accept my apology. I truly appreciate this website, and this forum in particular. I've learned a great many things from all the people here, and I always try to give back and share my knowledge and experience whenever possible.

wilkin250r
04-22-2003, 01:37 PM
I feel better with that apology. I don't want you guys to hate me because a simple misunderstanding, compounded by my thick skull.

Rip_Tear
04-22-2003, 01:38 PM
Doug your a sucker! I get 6-8$ for every post no matter if Ben likes them or not, then again non of them seem to go though at the bank...

When I finaly get a digi camera I will do some technical write ups, but I would rather not do it until I can get some pics to go with the articles... Anyone want to know how to use the throttle? :p

Guy400
04-22-2003, 01:38 PM
No blood, no foul:D

hessianmx111
04-27-2003, 09:22 AM
i just thought of this how about a used ex/r buyers guide such as things to look for and the average price of that model year:confused: i wouldnt be able to write it cuz i would have no idea but i thought it would be useful. and if you do use it could i have a mention in the article:D