PDA

View Full Version : motowoz vs axis

KandK952
04-16-2003, 02:37 PM
has anyone ridden on both shocks that were valved for their weight and riding style, or atleast close to it? I am not trying to criticize or start rumours but I head that motowoz put axis to shame. anyone have an opinion?

CBW
04-16-2003, 02:42 PM
Well all i can say is if they do,,,,,,,,,they must be an awsome shock,,,,,,,cause i love my AXIS:D

KandK952
04-16-2003, 02:44 PM
thats what i was thinking...

Dave400ex
04-16-2003, 03:02 PM
I don't know much about either, but I have noticed Duncan is using MotoWoz on some of their quads now. I don't think many guys have MotoWoz because they are new and so expensive. I know if I had the money I would want some to see if they really are as good as they are said to be...

Smoker
04-17-2003, 01:49 AM
The debates about shocks are kind of funny because mechanically they are all similiar. They all use a shim stack valving except works which uses a ball and spring check valve with a shim stack. There are differences between some components obviously but it all boils down to the knowledge of the person valving the shock. So it comes down to preference and $$$. Axis seems to do the most R&D since they are trying to get it right for indy applications unless of course the guy building your shock that day is feeling lazy or hungover and doesn't really put his heart into it. I bought Elka because they offer what I wanted (SSD, compression adjustable, and the 5/8 shaft) within the price range I was willing to spend. They are all pretty nice (nothing wrong with Works, mind you) and Duncan is probably pushing the Motowoz because they offer what they need as far as components and are going to distribute them and why wouldn't Motowoz want to get on board with Duncan, they're a huge distributor. I looked at getting into relvalving/rebuilding so I started my education on this, the stiffling cost of a Dyno was the set back, without it the builder is just guessing. Not trying to start the shock war like every other week on here, just get educated before you take hearsay to spend around a grand on a component. :p

CBW
04-17-2003, 02:05 AM
Smoker..........

Admittedly i purchased my AXIS purely based on their reputation. I already had a quad with works, and also an ATC with a PEP rear. They all work well.............i just happen to prefer my AXIS.......maybe cause they are on my favorite quad??? who knows :p

but thanks for the info;)

Smoker
04-17-2003, 03:06 AM
CBW
I don't blame you Axis have a terrific reputation and for a reason no doubt. I probably would have bought a set but for the money I chose the Elka's. That was kind of my point, everyone gets in a p*ssing match but it all does boil down to preference and how much do you want to spend to go fast. :p

YZROOSTINYA
04-17-2003, 04:35 AM
NICE POST SMOKER!

tHE THING ABOUT THE motowoz IS THAT they have better transfer lines and his shocks are adjustable on the quad and triple sealed i believe if I remem correctly.

on that note, my elka's do me right

:D

Smoker
04-17-2003, 07:01 AM
I spouted too soon about the Motowoz, there are some differences, I never looked at them I just figured they were another shock company building basically the same thing out there with some different looking components. They have a pretty different approach to the whole thing which is cool because in reality atv shocks could be better, look at the off-road buggies with position sensitive shocks, incredible. Go here
www.kingshocks.com and read about technology. It's a matter of what is good enough (or affordable) for quad's. I'm sure quads could benefit from linkage on the a-arms like the back suspension has to resist bottoming and increase travel or dual action front suspension. Kudo's to motowoz although I hope they are worth the money since I see they cost more than axis. :p

nick23
04-17-2003, 12:31 PM
motowoz

Big - D Racing
04-17-2003, 02:10 PM
I talked to a guy who had TCS ZPS and switched to Motowoz and he said they make the TCS look like sstock shocks compared to the motowoz, and when he had the TCS he liked them a lot, but got motowoz because he picked up sponsorship from them. I think the motowoz are going to set the new standard for atv shocks, If I adthe money I would get the motowoz over anything else on the market including AXIS and ELKA Elites.

Jnine
04-17-2003, 02:57 PM
You can hardly call the additon of Parker Hydraulic fittings "bold new technology" when you are referring to the transfer lines. I know the owners of Elka, Axis, and PEP, and they all have a h--l of a lot of ATV experience to work with. Maybe if Motowas is around in a couple years we'll be able to say the same for them. If not, they'll be Moto-was-makin'-shocks. Until then, you can hardly ask anybody to be the test rider for them, especially for more money than ALL of the top names in the business.

Big - D Racing
04-17-2003, 04:21 PM
Jnine makes joke. Very funny... motowas:ermm:

boogiechile
04-17-2003, 04:37 PM
The motowoz shocks are different in that they use a threaded crossover system to transfer (or crossover) from one spring to the next. Axis uses the same system on their upper line dual rate rear shocks but not their fronts. The motowoz crossover points are adjustable without removing a thing and offer more adjustability since you are not limited to a selection of available crossover rings. They also have a nice looking rebound adjuster and the hoses are just icing. They are new and unproven and I agree that they must prove themselves but they look like they are on the way to me.

2k2-300exnj
04-18-2003, 07:12 PM
how much do they go for? i would love to try them out on my R!!!..... but i have to get one first lol

Derek
04-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by 2k2-300exnj
how much do they go for? i would love to try them out on my R!!!..... but i have to get one first lol

I think someone was pricing them around the 1400 range. :eek2:

Dave400ex
04-19-2003, 11:27 AM
Here are your Prices... http://www.motowoz.com/pricelist.htm

Mxbubs
04-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Jnine
You can hardly call the additon of Parker Hydraulic fittings "bold new technology" when you are referring to the transfer lines. I know the owners of Elka, Axis, and PEP, and they all have a h--l of a lot of ATV experience to work with. Maybe if Motowas is around in a couple years we'll be able to say the same for them. If not, they'll be Moto-was-makin'-shocks. Until then, you can hardly ask anybody to be the test rider for them, especially for more money than ALL of the top names in the business.

Yeah, what he said.:)

bongwater200
04-20-2003, 03:28 AM
Did anyone ever think that the reason the other shock gods don't make their crossovers externally adjustable is because, just maybe, they don't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry messing with the adjustment? The more you make a shock adjustable for the customer, the higher the odds that the customer will F-up the performance of the shock. Lets face it......... 75% of the riders out there don't know jack **** about suspension other than the fact that it feels good and sucks up the bumps. Start talking about valving and spring rates, and most are WAY over their heads!

As far as the hoses are concerned, I can make anyone a set of hoses like that with 4 feet of H245 hydraulic hose, 2 strait 1/4" ends, 2 90deg ends, and 4 1/8npt-1/4 tube fittings. ( I'm a Weatherhead guy, myself ) SO, I suppose I've been involved in this "bold new technology" for years.

Jnine
04-20-2003, 08:04 AM
There you go guys.... All the parts to make one yourself... All you need is the Nitrogen bottle, a low pressure valve system, and you are in the shock business.

BY the way Bongwater.... That must be one H--L of a pipe you have with all those fittings. I guess thats part of how you got the name?

bongwater200
04-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Thanks, Jnine. But my pipes are all made from hub bearing caps and stainless fuel line. The fumes that the hydraulic hose gave off when it got hot gave me a real bad trip.

I can't wait to see someone's JIC fittings come loose on their MOTO-WAS shocks and piss their "new technology" shock oil all over the ground.

lil400exman
04-20-2003, 12:02 PM
there not worth 1,400 buks to me................:rolleyes: i would pay 1,200 for axis cause theyre proven lower ur price motowaz and i will try ya...................;)

motowoz
09-19-2007, 04:38 PM
i have motowoz shocks on all of my stuff except my kfx it has axis but im going to switch them. . i love them to death. the are the best shocks in my opinion. they are just so smooth compared to the axis.

mxquadracer115
09-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I ride a 450r with pep PB1s and the motowoz are just as good if not better then the PB1s for about half the cost.

emerson137
09-19-2007, 07:54 PM
BUY FOX FLOATS !!!!! NO QUESTIONS ASKED. A++++ CUSTOMER SERVICE, A TRUE FLOAT FEAL . SPEND THE MONEY THERE WORTH EVER NICKLE. I PISSED AROUND WITH PEP, ELKA AND FOUND FLOATS ARE THE WAY TO GO.

-STEVE

WB450r
09-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Motowoz shocks at KB Motorsports run for $1165

emerson137
09-20-2007, 08:15 AM
I THINK IF YOU CALL JIM AT MOTOWAS HE WILL SELL A SET FOR 900 DONT HOLD ME TOO IT BUT THATS JUST WHAT I HERD.

4strokemadman
09-20-2007, 08:41 AM
JNINE you should know that all shocks aren't equal.... especially FOX :) Don't tell everyone how to make shocks you will put me out of a job.

fandl450r
09-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Learn to not be such r tards, this thread is over 4 years old. Take a look at the dates once in awhile. /end thread

korniev
09-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Well I talked to Jim about that issue like maybe 2-3 month ago! He told me that AXIS were indeed a nice shocks, made from very good quality materials.
Motowoz is made from the aircraft quality materials. And I must admit that a lot of people are wrong when they say Motowoz is like wayyy to expansive! THEY ARE NOT! In fact, they have almost the same price as Elkas Elites! Not the cheapest on the market but still......
Unfortunately I have never ridden Axis, however I did have Motowoz on my previous YFZ, I am gonna have Motowoz on my new YFZ and I did try the ELkas and what I am sure about is that Elkas can not compare even close to Woz shocks! Day and night difference!

exrider44
09-25-2007, 07:05 PM
I havent ridden my bike yet but I think the shocks are pretty nice quality. I hope to try them out within the next few weeks.

korniev
09-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by exrider44
I havent ridden my bike yet but I think the shocks are pretty nice quality. I hope to try them out within the next few weeks.

Man u gonna be amazed with how those work especially if you tried other brands before so u will have the ground to compare!
U will see how 1-2 clicks can give u a totally different feeling on the track!

KB Motorsports
09-27-2007, 08:59 AM
I absolutely love my Motowoz front end. It's a lot more predictable than my Elka's. I didn't experience any fading during the whole weekend I was testing them. The YFZ did not push in corners and it was very smooth over the choppy rough stuff. I couldn't be happier with my investment.

Motowoz Shocks (http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com/shop/motowoz-.html)

honda250xrider
09-27-2007, 09:22 AM
i havnt understood why everyone is worried about the price, for the quality they are getting they are right up there with pep, fox, axis, elka top of the line shocks priced right with them.... motowoz has been around for awhile you just have never seen them to much until the past couple of years i think they were out around 2000 or 2003 when i first saw them out.

KB Motorsports
09-27-2007, 09:28 AM
elka elites 1675.00 retail
motowoz 1285.00 retail

korniev
09-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by KB Motorsports
elka elites 1675.00 retail
motowoz 1285.00 retail

EXACTLY!!! Let this info kill the "expensive" reputation of Motowoz. They do not overcharge at all, while keeping the quality REALLY high!
Still I have not seen anyone disappointed with these shocks.....

emerson137
09-27-2007, 02:02 PM
MOTOWAS... STIFF!!!!! FOX FLOATS SOFT!!! WHAT EVER YOU LIKE AND MAKES YOU FAST!!!

KB Motorsports
09-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by emerson137
MOTOWAS... STIFF!!!!! FOX FLOATS SOFT!!! WHAT EVER YOU LIKE AND MAKES YOU FAST!!!

My Motowoz aren't stiff at all.. Not sure who's bike you rode , but they may need to adjust them. A few clicks make a difference. ;)

korniev
09-27-2007, 10:12 PM
It is not that I am trying to make Motowoz look like the best shocks there are, however I was very impressed with their performance overall, and yes u will in fact see the difference in just 2-3 clicks

10-01-2007, 07:56 PM
MotoWoz are top of the line shocks! every set up I have rode handle very well. By no means are they stiff if the shocks are set up right by the consumer. The shocks have enough adjustment in them to go from very soft to really stiff. Steve you need to get on a set that is set up for you or set up right! You wont be dissapointed in ride,quality and customer service!

400eXr1d3rZ
10-01-2007, 08:24 PM
I should have gotten Motowoz :D

emerson137
10-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Haha I dont think FOX will like that to much, I just have not seen a MOTOWOZ shocks set up like fox floats. Plus Rick lives right and Set's up all the Pro fox Floats bikes. But each is there own. JIM did a nice job with sponsoring D23

You on a HONDA ?

hoser 400ex
10-07-2007, 04:08 PM
the best setup motowoz shocks i have seen would be ryan youngs in d23. steve you rode that quad. i was so impressed on how he blasted thru the whoops at brookston. shocks looked mint!!

I dont know how people can bicker back and forth on issues like this. everybody has there own preference. each shock company does theres a little different. i had elkas and loved them. as with any shock you have to take the time to set them up.

the only thing that worries me about the floats is having to sit there with the pump and check them after every race etc.

to each there own i guess.

emerson137
10-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Too each is there owen, 100% right Ryan's bike worked Really good. I will say it's stiffer than my Honda, Butt Ryan said he liked it stiffer. Luke I have not had to Add air to my Shocks Yet.. I check them every time I go ride. You will have to Ride it.

Steve